Roast my cast
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Roast my cast

Discussion in 'Casting' started by i hate whiting, Jul 27, 2020.

1. i hate whiting

i hate whiting Member

Hi all, been lurking this forum for a while and watching some YouTube videos of penduluming. I feel like I've nearly got there the last couple of weeks but theres a bit left to get out. Any pointers that you can see for me to improve would help, have just been teaching myself really so would be good for some outside input.

Cheers

2. chukka

chukka Member

You fall into the classic fault of lifting the lead into the back swing.

Try pushing and leaving that top arm out, then push out firmly with the lower hand to get the lead to come back towards you. As it comes towards you signals the time to get ready to turn, take your time to let the lead pass you and it will take a large circular arc around the tip. Try to keep the tip low but avoid dropping that shoulder as you turn or you will plough the lead into the ground, try to wait a good 1or 2 seconds so the lead comes outside the tip before transferring your body weight forward and driving through the cast.

I'd strongly advise seeking tuition or popping to a casting event. Pendulum casting varies a lot but getting the basic principles right from the start will put you on the right track before picking up bad habits that are difficult to correct.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Jeremy Schrader

Jeremy Schrader Member

Check your video footage in slow motion at the 6 second mark , lead is not pulling out and rotating away from the tip but falling. As Chukka suggests if you can get to one of the club events there should be someone available to get your sorted .
    Have a look at this clip and you will see how the weight steps out away from the tip.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i hate whiting

i hate whiting Member

Thanks guys, I think I get where you are coming from. So instead of the lead following a relatively straight line and falling back once i start turning, it should be arcing around my right shoulder more? Will this be achieved by dropping the tip more before I start turning also?

Cheers

5. robq

robq Member

On top of the good advice given by Chukka and Jeremy I would add that it looks like your hands are too close together. If your top hand was just 4 inches higher it would help deal with more compression and power as your cast improves. Also it looks like your feet and leg postition is not helping get you body rotation invloved in the cast, I would say move you right foot 45 degrees round towards the direction of the cast.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. i hate whiting

i hate whiting Member

Just went out for a few casts and put my right hand further up the rod and that seemed to make it a lot easier to keep things steady in terms of loading and grip. Also made a point of trying to keep my right hand still on back swing rather than lifting it. Cheers for the tips, added 20 yards ( I have been using my golf yardage zapper and casting from a sand spike to get accurate yardages so I can check improvements).

• Like Like x 3