salmon on 6lb
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

salmon on 6lb

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by JonD, Jun 29, 2020.

1. JonD

JonD Member

A friend of one of my daughters has just flown over to stay with us for a couple of weeks from Darwin. Its a bit of a temperature shock for him having come from an average mid winter temp of 32'c down to our cooler southern temps bellow freezing some mornings!!!

First introduction yesterday was to a little lure flicking for beach salmon. Tackle for him was a 1000 spin reel with 6lb braid and 10lb mono leaders (don't want to make it easy for him!!). My son used his usual spin outfit he tends to use for everything from salmon, bluefish, tope and hounds etc.

They had only picked around four fish each walking and flicking lures until we came to a good gutter which was literally loaded with fish. From here on it was fish every cast, often with dozens trying to smash the lure from hooked fishes mouths. We started off trying to keep count but gave up when they got over 20 fish each. Salmon are true little fighters, their flesh is very muscular and similar to tuna meat, they are also extremely hardy and literally swim through sand on their way back to the water after release. When I first moved over here I was blown away by how good salmon are to catch and fished for them virtually daily, experimenteing with tackle and techniques. They love aerated fast water and will eat almost anything due to their fast metablisum

Today would of been a good day to of gotten them offshore but they enjoyed the salmon so much they are back up the beach again now hooking into them again, I stayed home in the warm!!!

My eldest daughter is out wide around the offshore seamounts with clients chasing bluefin and yellowfin tuna. Yesterday having a five way hookup on lures, landing four and loosing one to a 300kg mako. The first run of bluefin are small, normally in the 40-50kg range which I much prefer. The bigs ones will soon be here too.

_JDP3518.jpg _JDP3550.jpg _JDP3556.jpg _JDP3594.jpg _JDP3600.jpg _JDP3613.jpg _JDP3618.jpg _JDP3622.jpg _JDP3631.jpg _JDP3638.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 3
  2. JonD

JonD Member

From my other daughter, who's hopefully among the tuna right now out there (somewhere way out of phone range).

IMG_4389.JPG

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Poorcod

Poorcod Member

Fabulous Pictures Jon

• Like Like x 1
  4. piker20

piker20 Member

Should have emigrated when the chance came along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonD

JonD Member

Luckily £30 a day laying bricks, in and out of work and cold wet weather with very little chance of getting a foot onto the housing market helped with my decision to move here. Within 12 months I had a mortgage on a Sydney apartment, new boat and 4x4. Fifteen years later we moved to a quiet coastal town and pretty much retired from ever laying another brick and started the family. Took a few courses and now drive boats for who ever and when ever I choose just for fun, mostly dive boats with tourists wanting to dive or snorkel with seals.

Still struggling to know if I made the right choice :Oo:

_JDP1665.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 2.25.44 pm.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. piker20

piker20 Member

Yeah, you'd much prefer a 40hr week in Slough

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. crazyphisher

crazyphisher Member

Really Jon?? You miss working 60+hrs a week, spending a days money on fuel & parking & a min of 15hrs a week stuck in a car getting to work? 1.5hrs to drive 50miles????:Oo:;):mad::mad::eeks:

8. JonD

JonD Member

You forgot to mention working 60hrs and getting ripped off by the subby you are working for who suddenly dissopears owing around 20 people two weeks wages, a regular occurrence in the building trade years ago!!!

Ive just turned down paying work this morning basicly sitting in a commercial dive boat as I would rather spend a few days in my own boat whale watching. It's a tuff life for sure.

On a more serious note, things still haven't settled since you were here making it very difficult to travel. Most states had no covid apart from Victoria which had 4-5 but then the rules were lifted ( like they have for you ) and it's all kicked off again, even the panic buying. The borders are all closed and funny enough we have the same young lad with us again who ended up stuck with us for two months during the fires.

9. crazyphisher

crazyphisher Member

He timed that just right then!! We should be going to Vanuatu In Nov, not sure if that'll happen, or my rescheduled trip to Andamans in Dec, not that i want that now after the way the tour operator behaved. In some ways i hope that is cancelled, i'll use the money to go somewhere else,NOT with them! If its opened up by next March we may come over for a month, & visit Van again depending what happens Nov if we get there.
    Sure do wish we had come over a few years ago whilst we were still elligable, it's time we moved on from this rat race!
    Leicester is on lockdown again, as it's been easing everything has almost gone back to normal, roads clogged with traffic & people not really abiding by the 2m social distancing. It's difficult not to come into contact with other people, too many here & no space. Couldn't even get to sea as the marina was shut. Tight lines & stay safe!
    Fantastic tuna & salmon by the way!

• Like Like x 1