Sharks - Which Is The Most Brutal To Catch And Which Gives The Poorest Fight
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Sharks - Which Is The Most Brutal To Catch And Which Gives The Poorest Fight

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by Kenyafisherman, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

Hiya,
    As some will know I have a interest in sharks, but my only experience to date is 2 reef sharks (small ones of about 25kg) from Kenya.

I have a limited knowledge of all the shark species and obviously know those so frequently seen in films or catch reports, so these would be....
    Great white
    Tiger
    Reef
    Bronze Whaler
    Bull
    Oceanic White Tip
    Thresher
    Lemon
    Hammerhead
    Blue
    Porbeagle
    Mako

images.jpg

As fishermen who travel the world you all must come in to contact with these unintentional or on purpose, and I see many reports where these apex predators can ruin your fishing by biting off your catch before you get it in.

2015 onwards in my search for fishing in tropical and far off locations I really hope that I get to catch some of these sharks, with the intention of releasing them alive.
    My question is...........:fishing1:
    Which of these species of shark are likely to test my strength, stamina and tackle to the limits?
    And is the Mako the most aggressive?

Any replies appreciated, as I will get my chance in Jan to catch sharks

• Like Like x 1
  2. brownsedge

brownsedge Member

To me.... All sharks are a pain in the ass.... I caught many different types in many parts of the world and can honestly say iv never enjoyed them.... They are too easy to catch... Require zero skill and mess up ur tackle.... As regards which is best.... I don't really know .... I just want to get them close to me ASAP so I can cut them off ASAP... I once caught a large lemon shark in Florida flats.... Decent scrap but prob cause it was in 5 feet of water.... Ah well....

• Like Like x 1
  3. rob170

rob170 Member

I have only fished for sharks in wales of my local coast of Pembrokeshire .
    Plenty of Blue sharks , porbeagle and a mako was caught locally this season .
    Great sport and always on the go when boating 35 plus shark a day .
    Porbeagles give a good account of them selfs and 150lb blues on 30lb outfits are great fun .

4. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

I had no idea Blue's were so popular there.
    I tried for them off Mayo west Ireland a few years ago without any luck.
    I have heard that Mako's are being caught off southwest Ireland recently as a friend is hoping to catch 1 there.

I must look again, as catching one in the UK would be a real bonus :)

5. brownsedge

brownsedge Member

Kenya....
    If you want to catch makos and blues you won't go wrong fishing of the **** coast

6. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

Where's that?

7. Britanichris

Britanichris Member

I think he meant Cork in Ireland mate ? The Tiger shark is supposed to be the fiercest by all accounts but I would'nt know as the only shark I have caught is a big Tope 42 lbs. I watched River Monstors the other day and Jeremy Wade caught a Greenland Shark and boy did that thing fight !
    Good Luck,

Chris.

8. cfish

cfish Member

I read somewhere recently that people are going to fish for blue sharks off kayaks,not a good idea imo because even though theres not much chance of it happening,what happens if they accidently hook and pee off a mako????? Heard of makos jumping on board big boats imagine if it did that to a kayak.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

I too have heard of Mako's leaping in to boats and thrashing around with jaws snapping.
    But unsure if this is a genuine account or fiction.
    Either way I will treat any shark I catch with caution.

10. The_Blanker

The_Blanker Member

The top fighters that I have caught without doubt are Spinner Sharks and Black tips, not hard to catch correct but when you hook them they go ballistic.
    Somersaults from the water and leaping spinning acrobatics in every direction then they still tear off on long very fast runs.
    When you get them to the boat they can go off again or lead you two or there times around the boat.
    Hook either of these about 100lb and you are in for a wrestle.

I have never caught a Mako but i have been told the fight is similar.

Lemon sharks especially big ones just tend to tow the boat around but are hard work.

Worst for me is the Nurse Shark which is a big version of our dogfish in the UK and after a lazy swim off they tend to come in easy.

11. SeaAce

SeaAce Member

Bronze Whalers from the beach of course. But then I am biased!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Isle bass

Isle bass Member

I was based in Broome Western Australia for a couple of years. The place is alive with sharks. Caught tigers, up to about 10ft on a handline, big unstoppable ones hooked on rod and line but impossible to land, steady runs that never stopped. Lemons slow, not overly impressed. Bronzes seem to be always switched on and aggressive fast and nimble! Nurse sharks just awful, not sporting, very very difficult to handle! Bullsharks did not fight that hard but were very very aggressive when alongside the boat and being unhooked.

Spinners and black tips are just brilliant fun, fast runs, jumps, cartwheels the lot, very sporting, had them upto about 70lb on 6'6 barra rods and shimano 400 sized multiplier. Same from the beach.
    My personal favourite are the hammerheads, amazing creatures, great combo of speed and power, and the massive dorsal fin cutting through the surface is a great sight.

I worked at sea and at nights we sometimes had between 20/30 sharks, mainly tigers off the back of the boat, made fishing for Spanish mackerel a real challenge, a lot of half fish were landed, some of the sharks were real horses, 12/13 feet and once hooked on light gear it was 20 second of pulling for a break. On heavier gear I once got towed 2 miles in a tender by a big shark we never saw in over an hour!
    Biggest shark I saw was a hammerhead of about14ft that turned up as we were setting up for a dive, never saw it underwater but I would have been close by, the trevally with half a side missing were evidence of that.

Big fish are a rush but often the most sporting fights came from fish between 50/100lb that had weight, agility and power in the right proportions and a fish that size airborne is an awesome sight!
    Tight lines shark fishing is brilliant

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 1
  13. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

Isle Bass,
    You make them sound a worthy target, well some of them.
    Hammerhead is already top of my shark "Must Catch" list, but hopefully easier ones first in Florida and maybe smaller too, but these do sound like fun if caught on light tackle.

I know I will love catching them, even though they are not the fish species I am buying the bulk of my tackle to catch.
    But I would never pass up the chance to catch a shark, especially those who seem to instil fear in us humans.
    Tigar shark look amazing and dangerous and would be a great achievement should I find myself in the right place for them.

14. JonD

JonD Member

To compare is really hard as you don't catch the same size sharks in the same locations and the same size. Mako's were always at the top of my want to catch list when I lived in the UK but now that Ive caught quite a few of them I must admit that at least half of them have led back to the boat like a peace of seaweed. The other half have been crazy adrenalin rockets sometimes running from the boat and often straight at it.

All but the great white and oceanic white tip on the list Ive been lucky enough to catch over the years as well as many other species. We get 3 types of hammerhead around my area, of which the smooth hammerhead is the only one which isn't protected, they give a very similar fight to the whaler sharks in my opinion (which are a tough more predictable fight). The tigers Ive caught have mainly been small though I did bring one boat-side on 30 lb class gear around 10ft long, all of them have been dull fighters in the water but when Ive beached a few to remove the hook they have given better fights on the beach.

The sharks I used to catch in the UK, threshers , porbeagles and blues were all taken on old style fishing gear so felt like good scrappers back then with the thresher at the top of my UK list just for its speed and jumping abilities. Blue sharks here are considered to be one of the dullest of the sharks out here and can reach 400 lb +. My daughter caught one on 30 lb gear about 250 lb a couple of years ago which fought more like a good mako, It did several deep dives screaming off 200m+ of line under 15lb drag, then it would do surface runs or just sit about 60ft under the boat heading into the current at about 4 knots.

I think we have around 200 species of shark out here some of which are quite small like the dogfish and spurdog family which I wouldn't call real sharks but the books do.
    JonD

• Like Like x 1
  15. n4lly

n4lly Member

2nd that about backtip reef sharks, great fun on a 20 lb rod.

Nurse's are just a weight to haul in.

16. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

17. PanamaJack

PanamaJack Member

I'd certainly concur with Isle Bass's comments about the best:

And I can recall a couple of particular days in the Florida Keys - one November - where I was able to combine all three species. A cold front had driven our preferred quarry - Permit - off the Flats so, as needs must, we decided to do some light tackle shark fishing targeting Blacktips and Spinners. On the first day it suddenly went rather ?quiet?, and the reason soon became apparent as a huge Hammerhead - a fish in the 14? range, probably weighing around 1200lbs, surfaced on the channel edge of the flat. As Isle Bass commented the dorsal (and upper tail lobe) are massive, seemingly out of all proportion to the fish?s build. And, despite the shallowness of the flat. it was desperate to get to get at the chum, scything backwards and forwards.

Given the floating weed we were unable to drift a bait back to that one and eventually it disappeared. But the next day, and I was fishing the edge of the same channel up popped a smaller fish in the 10? range. On five occasions it would purposely navigate along the edge and then, 20? of so away from us, would bank back into the channel. Each time I cast a free-lined Jack out there without it picking it up; until cast five. This time the guide held a recently hooked Jack, thrashing, against the side of the skiff and we?d slashed the sides of my live bait to release blood and oil. I felt the line pull from under my finger and it was then I appreciated the inadequacy of my leader - a small circle connected to 18? of light single strand wire backed to 8? of 100lb mono. Well we had been sight casting at the Blacktips and Spinners!

The fight lasted just 10 minutes the last two of which are recorded, if you can access Facebook, here - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150374031039531&set=vb.581264530&type=2&theater . Apologies for some of the language!

I?d also though include, offshore, Makos as one of my favourites. Their speed and ability to out jump any species, including Marlin, is legendary. I recall one, only about 250lbs, off the Azores taking a trolled Marlin lure and clearing the water by around 15', performing a brilliantly executed backwards somersault. Unlike Marlin it was rigid, like a torpedo, with the only thing moving - those impressive teeth!

And, in terms of speed, I recall once off Venezuela having the side of a 400lb plus Blue Marlin I was playing attacked by a massive Mako, a 1000lb plus fish. Initially, after the hook-up there was a gabble of Spanish from the cockpit - they?d sighted this Mako alongside, then my fish lit up and accelerated away before attempting - but failing - to jump. When we boated the fish it side was literally shredded, the flesh hanging off in shards.

Still then ?the bad and the ugly? - Six Gills, um ? huge, but with the fighting ability of their nickname, a Pink Slug! And, of course, Nurse Sharks - and another story.

We were planning to fly fish for sharks in the shallow waters off the Marquesas, a deserted ?atoll? some 29 miles out from Key West, Florida. The requisite butterfly-ed Barracuda has been hung over the side of the skiff to act as chum and the first fish up was ?. a 400lb Nurse Shark. Well my friend cast at it and it inhaled the fly, got hooked but just stayed there luxuriating in the smell of the chum before it eventually trundled off. The line ticked off the spool and with several hundred yards off my friend looked plaintively at out guide. He refused to move and break our chum trail! Eventually it broke off. Then we had a big Lemon almost come into the skiff, desperate to seize the Barracuda that the guide had lifted from the water, before two competitive Blacktips shot in. I cast and hooked one, and this was followed by a rather rapid 100 yard plus run before it jumped and popped my tippet. Drat!

18. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

PanamaJack,
    Great write up, very interesting to read, some good points in it too.
    I'm off to Florida Keys in Jan and living on a houseboat for 2 weeks moored in a bay.
    Hopefully I will get a chance at Sharks, but just looking for variety of fish, and if any are big that's a bonus.
    I have been speaking with guides and charter owners for advise, and all agree a Chum Block woud improve the fishing in general if hung off the houseboat, and may also bring sharks around too.

There have been sharks to 5ft caught off the boat recently (Lemon shark I think I read) and I will be taking suitably strong wire leaders as advised by my local tackle shop owners who have caught huge Tiger shark themselves.
    I would love to catch small Hammerheads (not sure I want to catch a big one without a charter boat) and hopefully small sharks of several species would be a real bonus. We are planning a few charter trips out and Sharks and Jigging would be my preferred fishing, although not Jigging for sharks of course.

I appreciated the inadequacy of my leader - a small circle connected to 18” of light single strand wire backed to 8’ of 100lb mono. Well we had been sight casting at the Blacktips and Spinners!
    THIS COMMENT MADE ME SMILE :)

19. PanamaJack

PanamaJack Member

Chum blocks certainly work although you'll be surprised just how many Pinfish, etc they'll attract; but Barracuda is an attractant 'par excellence' for sharks - really turns them on. And of course you'll get great sport from Barracuda using light spin gear with a rubber tube lure. It's impossible to wind the lure too fast!

But you'll also I suspect be surprised at just how close and what is relatively shallow water big 'Keys shark will appear - particularly Lemons and Bull Sharks and, of course, the Nurse variety. As well you might also see huge Sting Rays attracted.

Offshore I guess the Spring is probably best for Hammerhead and Tigers but it's always a case of 'never say never'! And if you have some light tackle Shrimp can be a great bait for the 'miniature Hammers' - the Bonnetheads - on the Flats.

But back to Spinners, one of my favourites; and I don't know whether you've ever seen these videos - http://www.flyfishingextremes.com/60second screamer.mov and http://www.flyfishingextremes.com/new scott.mov - (The second takes a little longer to load.) - but they add a whole new dimension to shark fishing.

20. Kenyafisherman

Kenyafisherman Member

Hi PanamaJack,
    I have been advised to use Those scented rubber shrimps, Bucktails and live shrimp and Livebait as well as bits of fish or dead baits.
    These should cover just about everything.
    But I have a large array of lures that would really suit the Cudas, and the boat comes with a Dinghey with motor, so it should be perfect for trolling lures around the bays.
    I will be spending all 14 days there fishing, and targeting anything, but especially Sharks.
    Those baby Hammerheads just look so nice, I really hope I get a chance at them.
    Always been a big fan of Hammerheads.

Pinfish?
    I don't know these, but you say it like they are a nuisance o_O
    Are they like trigger fish, stealing your baits quickly?

Yes there are Rays there too according to the owner, bit concerned about them as I have no knowledge on which are dangerous and which are safe, don't fancy getting stung by one.

I am on holiday at present in Cyprus and can't access your videos on this free wifi, so I will watch these when I get home.