Shetland Trip with a Big But
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Shetland Trip with a Big But

Discussion in 'Scotland Catch Reports' started by seamagic, Jun 4, 2014.

1. seamagic

seamagic Member

So where to start,

Thursday night we left Aberdeen on the ferry filled with fishy tales and scorching sun. We had many a beer and some dinner and called it a night early doors.

We were greeted by Kenny Graham Friday morning telling us how good the fishing had been over the last couple of weeks and he most certainly wasn't lying.

After getting into the accommodation back of 9 we were down quayside awaiting Kenny to take us out!

Friday was to be a shortish trip due to the other party needing to get back to the airport at 5 and Kenny having to leave cullivoe before 3 to make it on time. The sun was shining and there was next to no wind. Boy we got it lucky. The weather over the 3 days was tremendous and Kenny had said he had never had 3 days at sea in a row so consistent and calm.

Anyways on to the fishing..........

Friday was to be a day at the cod and coalie grounds. We fished hard on some huge drifts landing monster coalies and it was cod we were after. Two coalie have to be one of the hardest fighting fish in the North Sea/Atlantic . We had coal fish on the boat to 25lbs which fell to my uncle. Jammy sod.

We steamed about half a mile ahead and on to a more snaggy bottom in search of huge cod. 6 rods down at the same time, bump bump, bump, bump, bump bump and a holy s**t I think Ive caught a steam train.

We all had our fish up from the depths of around 325/350ft within 8-10 minutes but with my uncles pal still holding on. 20 minutes later and here it was, a monster cod of 35lbs. Never seen anything like it in my life. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo at the time as I was busy taking up another cod and a new PB of 26lbs. Was well chuffed. Kenny got Plenty of photos of the big fish and the monster of 35lbs and assured me he would send me the photos for all of us to drool over. Have to say a big thanks to paul2u for making me up my pirks as it was that pirk that took both my new PB cod and my uncles pals fish.

The cod and coalie were consistent for the next 3 hours and filled the hole nicely. That was is it for the first day and I think we were all relieved that the sun was shining and we could all enjoy a nice cold pint at the community centre pub on the Friday night with a stunning view over cullivoe and unst.

View from Digs.jpg

Saturday we were up early and ready to go with a few sore heads that would soon all disappear.

Kenny announced that we would be trying the turbot grounds on the Saturday morning as the tides and near flat calm were ideal conditions for the turbot. We searched for shoals of mackerel that were plentiful on the grounds of muckle flugga and soon had enough bait for a mornings fishing and I was lucky enough to get my first ever rod caught herring, so a new species to my list was added .

Sadly we fished on for 4 hours with plenty of cod showing on the mackeral and coalie baits we were producing but no turbot so a change of plan.......

Due to our short trip on Friday, Kenny had said that we would be due and extra 2.5 hours on the Saturday and we were delighted after our mornings blank at the turbot. It wasn't all bad as regular coddies between 15-23 lbs were landed and with the water depth only at 180-200ft it was bliss on the aching arms.

We all decided that we fancied a go at the big ling on the wrecks so we steamed out to a wreck north west of muckle flugga and fishing in 400ft of water ��

We soon arrived and it was a fish a drop, cracking sport with fish coming up to very rod all between 15-20lbs. My uncle fishing next to me announces he has a better fish on and after a fair old battle up popped a new PB ling for him coming in at 34.5lbs. It was huge and snake like.
    Kenny got some photos of the fish as we were all too busy breathing out our @rses winding up from 400ft.

I dropped down a huge fillet off a 6lb coalie and was into something huge, I could not get it off the wreck at first and when I did It started stripping line and more line and new it was a biggie. I got it up to around 80% of the way off for it to come off. I was devasted and defeated and knew I had just lost my biggest eve fish.

We fished for a few more hours and filled the hole and it was time to steam back an hour and half.

We were supposed to be filleting Saturday night so that we could make a sharp exit on Sunday after our days Fishing back to the ferry but everyone was knackered and hungry and needing a cold beer so we decided we would do the filleting early Sunday.

5am Sunday morning and we were down quayside filleting 13 boxes of cod and ling between the 6 of us. After 2 hours of filleting and cleaning the mess it was time for the last days fishing.

Couldn't believe it was our last day already.

We were all buzzing about getting out as the other boat (new oberon 2) had landed 2 dozen haddies on the Saturday near the turbot grounds so off we went. Stocked up with fresh mackerel inshore and away we went.

We tried and tried and tried to get haddock but it was cod after cod after cod. It was near impossible getting through them as they were so thick on the ground. It was coming to the end of our last drift when the tide was running so hard and fast that even our 1.5lb weights were struggling to hold bottom.

I was fishing with a 80lb trace, 6 black and luminous beads, a 2" muppet, a 5/0 sakuma manta extra and a sliver of mackerel belly and a 24 oz weight in the hope that i could get a haddock.

I was struggling to hold bottom and fed out more line so I could keep in touch with it and my line went all slack. For the love of me I could not work out what was happening and then all of a sudden my rod bucked in two and was almost taken off the back of the boat.

Damn it I thought, thinking I was stuck hard on the bottom until I got an enormous head shake and then my line started ripping out knowing something very substantial had just taken my tiny little haddock trace. I could not get it to lift off the bottom for the first 10
    Minutes and finally started to gather some line back. Must have had about 500ft of line out after it's initial runs.

Was very nervous after losing my fish the previous day so just took It easy. 20 minutes later Kenny shouts "Andy you not got that bloody fish up yet" to the reply of "this is a bloody big cod and I'm only using haddie setup".

Kenny goes to the back of the boat and says he can see colour. Everyone is now super excited including me as it's almost to the surface. Holy ***** it's a Halibut. It's a biggie.

I thought I had just won the euromillions, I was so chuffed and shouting for joy as it surfaced. Kenny gaffed it safely into the bait and it was time to get my photo taken and the fish weighed.

We all guessed around 30lbs and it came in at an impressive 40lbs 2 ounces.

The biggest halibut they have had in the 4 years since being based there.

God I was a happy man and am still smiling as I write this.

Andy 1-0 Shetland

This was a fish I was to be sure I would have plenty of photos for the boys to see back home.

Here she is .............

Hali 4.jpg

Hali 2.jpg

Hali 3.jpg

IMG_3819[1].jpg

As it was our last day it was going to have to be filleted so I could get it in my cool box for the ferry home so my uncle obliged and done a magnificent job.

To give you an idea on the size of 1 of 4 fillets the knife in the photo is 12" long.

Thanks for reading folks and sorry for blabbing on.

I will probably never catch this species ever again on my future trips to Shetland as they are very rare so I am most privileged to have caught such a majestic creature.

Cheers

Andy

2. Orcadian

Orcadian Member

That was a superb report and you did well landing the Halibut.

I had heard a butt had been landed so nice to get confirmation.

Just sorting my tackle we are fishing on the Oberon this Friday to Saturday, weather looks okay but not as good as your trip.

Well done.

3. seamagic

seamagic Member

Yeah Kenny was well chuffed that the halibut was landed on his boat. The Fishing was absolutely tremendous and I think more productive than last year! The number of big cod on the ground was scary! Think our smallest fish we had on the main grounds was around 6/7lbs!

Hope you have a fantastic trip and look forward to your report!

4. tony master

tony master Turbot Magnet

Fantastic report Andy,well done bud,and congratulations on your catch,now if only Carlsberg made fishing trips...i can see you become addicted to that boat fishing thing up in Shetland...
    Regards
    Tony

5. seamagic

seamagic Member

I'm supposed to be moving up to Shetland for 6 months working at the gas plant so will most definetely be taking my rods!

Thanks mate. The Fishing really is hard to comprehend until you experience it!

6. dale

dale Member

Good read mate. Shetland is unbelievable and reading this I want to go again. People don't believe it when you say just fish the one hook as 2 is too many.... Nice halibut.

7. kennythejoiner

kennythejoiner Member

Well done that's bigger than the ones taken in Norway by my mates last week ..

8. seamagic

seamagic Member

We were fishing for mackerel on the Saturday and was using 3 feathers and hooked into 3 coal fish all in the 10-15lbs bracket! Crazy fishing!

9. seamagic

seamagic Member

That's always good to hear. You literally don't know what the next fish could be on the end of your hook up there!

10. salty nuts

salty nuts Member

Well done mate, fish of a lifetime.

11. flappyfish

flappyfish Member

Wow man..
    I had no idea that big fish could be caught that often.
    I thought of maybe one or two in a lifetime.

12. craigenroan

craigenroan Member

Cracking fishing there :thumbs: Another two-fingered salute to those who claim there,s no Cod in the sea :banghead:

13. captainmorgans1

captainmorgans1 Member

Great fishing mate, Sheland is a must next year for me !!! Am out on the Gril Catherine in two weeks and would love to catch a 6lb fish that you were using for bait up there ! Tight lines and thanks for taking the time to post the detailed report.

14. seamagic

seamagic Member

Hopefully you will get out to the wrecks to target the big ling and cod with the big baits!

15. well done andy,that more than made up for losing what was probably a big ling the day before.nice write up and pics too.
    cheers rab

16. LAVRAKI

LAVRAKI Member

Fantastic report and photos. I wonder how many can say they have caught a halibut in home waters. What an achievement, you must be really chuffed. Thanks for sharing your experiences, inspiring stuff.

17. seamagic

seamagic Member

Thanks buddy! I feel as though I am one lucky guy managing to capture one of these magnificent beasts!

18. davenic

davenic Member

Great report and fantastic fish, my mate got a 24lb halibut last year when we were out on Oberon and he only mentions it twice a day now!!

19. plee1974

plee1974 Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner

Bloody fantastic detailed report....Awesome fishing, Lifetime PB's.......Shetland boat fishing is going on my bucket list......

Hope yer mate comes across with they photos......

Well done,

Paul

20. Jammy John

Jammy John Member

Guid read and report if only I never got sea sick thx for posting cheers the noo