Forum News - Should UK Angling NGB's Unite to Contribute to Political Angling Representation in the UK | Page 2
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Forum News Should UK Angling NGB's Unite to Contribute to Political Angling Representation in the UK

Discussion in 'The Angling Trust Forum' started by REG PHILLIPS, May 10, 2020.

1. REG PHILLIPS

REG PHILLIPS Member

Would you prefer they openly break the law?

2. TimFB

TimFB Member

As I have said times before too many to mention again (but I will anyway), there will be rules and regulations coming your way following Brexit, whether we like it or not. The only way to get a fair hearing is (in a non tree hugging and not rude kind of way) to come together and try and get a decent outcome. We have seen local proposals for bag limits for everything from worms to lobsters, just to keep the French happy so our fisherman can continue to land their catch in France. It will happen in the uk but I fear that the chances of any united voice in angling to fight it are about as likely as Wolfie Smith getting elected as MP for Tooting. Nothing to do with the AT...altho they’ll get the blame even if Wolfie does have sensible policies for a sensible start to the Cricket season...
    A9A00F69-35E7-482A-984F-86BF22076631.jpeg

3. Colinmav

Colinmav Member

I'm not a fan of the the super trawlers being in our waters. I have members in my family who fish both inshore and off shore. They struggle with the quotas like a lot of fishermen, but when the majority of quotas are owned by 5-6 bigger companies and are leased out.

I've fished for 40+ years between sea fishing and game fishing, I have seen the decline in our waters of fish.

I'm also in the belief that more areas of our waters should be shut to all commercial fishing and allow nursery areas to thrive. I live on the banks of the Clyde and seen the change the prawn boats have had.

Lamlash bay was set as an exclusion zone around 18 years ago. The bay was barren , a few months later , more fish , weeds and other sea life started to return. Within a year the place wasn't recognisable as it was lush new growth.

Fishing in the UK should draw in more anglers than it does. If fishing was regulated better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. MoJocvh

MoJocvh Member

Your beloved independence movement at work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/keep-working-even-if-you-test-positive-care-staff-told-p5thcsrtp

Care home workers who test positive for Covid-19 should finish their shift if there are staff shortages, Scotland’s health authority has said.

Guidance issued by Health Protection Scotland yesterday said that in some cases there may be “an unavoidable delay” in finding cover for staff who have tested positive for the virus.

In such circumstances, this “could create an unacceptable risk to the safety” of the care homes, it added.

“If such a situation occurred, then any staff that had to continue working must only do so for the absolute minimum period (eg, to complete a shift) pending their replacement.”

Fiona McQueen, Scotland’s chief nursing officer, said that care workers who tested positive but were continuing their shift “should not be on the front line but should self isolate in a room rather than keep working"

"https://www.scotsman.com/news/polit...g-patients-care-homes-no-test-results-2848242

Freeman: I’ve ‘not seen guidance’ sending patients into care homes with no test results...

.."but it's YOUR guidance"!

PS I caught C-19 whilst self isolating !! partner was care worker in care home with NO testing that defied lockdown by a week staying open to visitors!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Colinmav

Colinmav Member

6. REG PHILLIPS

REG PHILLIPS Member

So bringing this back to UK angling representation do we think it is acceptable that only the AT stands up to represent angling. Should we not all be signing petitions and asking our other three NGB's to step up to the plate, pull their weight and work alongside the AT on fighting the threats facing our sport. I am sure, with the right conversations, there is a way in which Sport England could accept each nation be responsible for their national teams and competitions while allowing them to come together to represent and defend the UK's anglers across all three disciplines.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. superD

superD Member

long time ago when the world was young , we used to fish the fresh . most of us bought a licence --or two if you used 2 rods . we could take the occasional pike or perch home for dinner and we got on pretty well with most people , even those with canoes . the EA would deal with polluters and sometimes Fish Legal would help them .
    same for the sea , we caught a few cod , sometimes a bass or two . if people were silly it usually got reported in the angling press and people complained . some people went out on a charter and filled their freezer but most of the time we went fishing and caught a few which came home with us.
    the NFSA had a code which most SACs subscribed to and sea anglers got on with angling.

then the NFSA went bust and the AT jumped in with big ideas . they were going to have lots of members and everything was going to be great . they didn't get lots of members , but now they were doing sea fishing and they decided they represented all anglers . well thats what they told the Gov. who went along with the idea because it meant an easy tick in the consultation box.

you know the rest , we can't take f/w fish for the pot and we have a bunch of unpaid busybodies skulking around to see if we are behaving (most of the time we are) i wonder if that is legal btw considering Boots have got into trouble with unpaid volunteers doing CV testing . and we have restrictions on what we can take from the sea . this is for our own good we are told.and all for the bargain price of £29 , although i am still trying to discover how that £29 helps the sea angler . it seems a lot of money for a card with AT written on it .

and now the AT want the Scots , Irish and Welsh anglers to join their club so it's like one big happy family who chuck £29 into the AT coffers for no visible benefit .

anyway , they have a new CEO . i dunno what his plans are , but i do know he said something about sending the AT £29 .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. TimFB

TimFB Member

All I remember about the NFSA locally was that it was about as much use as a chocolate tea pot and the rep used to sit in fisheries committees trying to tell commercial fisherman that they should give up fishing for fish because they was evil. I certainly don’t agree with all of the Bass Anglers Secretely Spearfishing politics that seems to get confused with all things the moment someone mentions the AT ( and don’t start me on the Setting Out Stumps and Bails lot)...but the AT are far more effective than the No Flipping Sensible Anglers muklarky that preceded them, whether you like them or not...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MoJocvh

MoJocvh Member

@Colinmav...

Thank you and Stay Safe your family too.

If ONLY they would instigate antibody testing we would get some closure and be informed so as to know how go forward.

Interestingly in my weekly chat on phone with (a) gp she was quite keen to point out we were susceptible to anything as our immune system would he shot for at least two months...finished with the cheerful remark to let them know immediately if either of us developed symptoms again...I was like ? I'm knackered after 6~8 hours no temps but chest plays up daily usual bla bla because they don't know themselves scary stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigfish murtha

bigfish murtha Member

oh my god.......away and stick that idea where the sun dont shine......
    have a look around do you see scottish anglers crying out for the AT to rescue them....:rolleyess: jesus christ man wind your neck in....

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. bigfish murtha

bigfish murtha Member

you lot are the reason for draconian measures....or did you forget asking for restrictions for anglers...
    god almighty i hope nobody is buying this keech.....

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. bigfish murtha

bigfish murtha Member

just to add to my last post......this lot actively want more restrictions for anglers.....
    check out the white paper the AT guy has quoted...there is an angling trust input and response to it.......it actively states it wants a managed fishery were anglers are "managed"......:rolleyess:.....that is just another term for restricted. this is the AT input and response not defra or the government.....the angling trust.
    i motion for a name change to the "anglers mistrust"
    shysters this lot shysters......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. porgie

porgie Member

so what do you propose,sit in lockdown till sturgeon decides to let you out ,then vote for independence and let the EU come and take the last of the fish while the rest of the uk chase the EU fleet out their waters, i know who i would rather have fighting my cause and it wouldnt be wee nippy

• Great Catch Report Great Catch Report x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. porgie

porgie Member

You are already managed by the EU ,catch quota on bass why?theres probably more bass in uk waters now than cod,maybe its due to the fact that we are sold undersized farmed bass by greece and spain ,protect that market maybe?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. bigfish murtha

bigfish murtha Member

Buddy have a sift through previous threads.......if you've got the will power.
    You'll see a pattern emerge.....
    I asked this very question a while back because I believed that the AT were making moves to elbow out the "EXISTING" national governing bodies....
    If you look you'll find it...
    I was told it was rubbish and fantasy by the very person now asking the question..;)
    To give you a bit of insight.....I'm a union rep....I spend huge portions of my working day promoting camaraderie, comradeship, better to stand strong together.....I live my life like that, I'm an activist if you like.
    But I'm telling you now I wouldn't support the AT to look after the best interests of Scottish anglers ever.....
    Go read the AT input and response to the fisheries bill and tell me I'm wrong....
    I'll leave the political crap out of it.....so should you it's ridiculous..;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. bigfish murtha

bigfish murtha Member

Go find out why......it's nothing to do with farmed bass I can assure you...;)

17. REG PHILLIPS

REG PHILLIPS Member

Just how does giving all four nations of the UK a voice in joint campaigns to protect angling mean the AT making moves to elbow out the existing national governing bodies?............. pure paranoia. It's about making them heard loud and clear in the corridors of power instead of being walked all over. I think there are a lot of Scottish anglers out their right know wishing they were heard by their Scottish MP's and government.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. porgie

porgie Member

ah unions aint they the same , take your money ,dont represent you when you need them

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. porgie

porgie Member

its clear whos being walked over in scotland right now

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. bigfish murtha

bigfish murtha Member

Keeps you disaster artists out of our business .....;)
    And where are all the Scottish anglers crying out for your help........there ain't any......