Thinking about rebuilding first rod
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

Thinking about rebuilding first rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Dghall94, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Dghall94

Dghall94 Member

Hey I'm thinking about giving it ago for the first time done abit of research and just have a couple of questions.

I'm wanting to spray the blank black then bondaseal over but looking about there can be quite some problems with paint being stripped by the bondaseal. So what paint can be used with it? (Not wanting to use 2k sprays as it's an old rod and trying to do it on the cheap as it's my first go) I have some primer and some acrylic matt black in shed but wasnt so sure if that would be okay?

The female spigot has abit of damage but I'm going to cut it back as I only have about 5-6mm spgiot left but was wondering what I do once its cut back dose it need reenforcing in anyway after ? I have added a picture

And last of all is there anyone on here who sells zziplex decals on here as I'm going to need a new one

Thank you
    Dan :)

2. Broken angler

Broken angler Member

I’ve just done an old Abu rod which when stripped turned out to be brown fibre glass, I tried a 2k air dry paint which was supposed to be safer, bit of disaster brilliant finish but the paint never went off.
    After stripping it I gave it two coats of bondaseal with a drop off black pigment in each, could still see some of the brown after the first coat But the second coat completely covered it, nothing more needed.
    I’m sure someone will advise on your spigot and decals.
    Enjoy your first build! Not as hard as it looks if you take your time and be patient.

• Like Like x 1
  3. vmax1

vmax1 Member

I tried spraying once , used car primer and black car paint from Halfords .a few good coats and left it for a week or two before I applied bonda.i did have some black on the applicator where the bonda must have reacted a bit, but it turned out fine

4. bald dodge

bald dodge Member

I would just coat the blank and not bother colouring it, It will save a lot of hassle and will still look good . Ive used Bondaseal a few times and its easy to use but does smell very strong .

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dghall94

Dghall94 Member

Ordered some bondaseal and some black dye and got a decal on the way and I'm looking forward to giving it a go:)

6. Broken angler

Broken angler Member

It’s important that you only use a small amount of pigment in the bondaseal otherwise it can get a orange peel effect, the small drop of pigment will give the blank a tinted look as in you will still the carbon pattern, adding a little more can make it opaque, I tried two coats both tinted black and got quite a good deep black. Unfortunately it’s a bit of trial and error but you can have a bit of practise and experiment on another old blank or even on the butt section which will be covered eventually, as stated it’s pretty strong stuff so use a mask and somewhere there’s some ventilation, it’s also very sticky and goes off very quick, if you’ve not already looked take time to look at Stan M’s sticky threads and video. This is one I’ve recently done and my first attempt at colouring, you’ll see the spigot is the original blank colour. FBC08340-E675-4726-95CA-14678C5376D3.jpeg

7. Dghall94

Dghall94 Member

That looks great ! Going to have a little practice on an old broken rod first to get the hang of it. Thanks for the advice :)