what cast to use with a bad back
  1. Becoming a WSF Member is Free, you can also sign up using your Facebook, Twitter or Google Account to make life even easier.

Membership has the following benefits:
    - Members gain full access to the whole of the WSF site, including our popular for sale boards.
    - The ability to search through 10 years worth of tackle advice and catch reports.
    - Less adverts.
    - Regular updates on what is happening in the world of sea fishing.

what cast to use with a bad back

Discussion in 'Casting' started by diviy, Jul 19, 2020.

1. diviy

diviy Member

I have had major surgery on my lower back so full of cages plates bolts and fushions and one cage and fushion in my neck
    I am returning after 20 years away .
    I am currently using a overhead thump but I have managed a few pendulum casts with no ill effects so far but I know I am holding back putting full power in to the cast .
    All my fishing is the welsh side of the Bristol channel .
    I've been talking to a tournament caster friend and he thinks a hattaras cast will be easier on my back he said he said I wont cast as far as a pendulum cast but will still get into fish range at distance .
    The rod and reel combos I have are a zziplex 2500m, Tip Tornado sport s and a kompressor match reel wise I have a penn 525 mag mk 2 ,Abu6500 elite,and slosh 20.
    Any thoughts and advice regarding learning the hatteras cast will this cast put less stress on my back and neck .

Cheers Gerry

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Member

I would think a Hatteras is more stressful for equal distance to Pendulum, on account of starting the power stroke later, rather than building up to it?

What about a back cast?
    Technique and legs more.

3. jackjock

jackjock Member

I would in your case stick with the over head thump , All fancy stiles of casting involves some twisting of the back even the back cast. Catching more fish isn't just down to distance, having suburb bait and fishing location should be number 1 . Doing your back in would be stupid all for a few extra yards.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bri1960

bri1960 Member

Watched a few lads do that backcast Mike and it looks pretty complicated and timing critical :eeks:For me anyway:D:D

5. jackjock

jackjock Member

Its very similar to the pendulum , just back wards way on, timings the same, legs and trunk really do the cast with very little input from your arms.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jackjock

jackjock Member

Bri , I put a video on in that casting competition on here believe its the third page , should give you some idea .

7. Bill Bajaj

Bill Bajaj Member

@diviy - i would look at the type of rod foremost as this is crucial.! The one i can recommend is the conoflex easy cast unfortunately conoflex closed down but if you can get your hands on a used one dont hesitate belive ir or not conoflex designed this rod for old men.! I mean men who cant bend their rods properly no more! due to old age etc they designed thas lovely easy bending easy cast of a rod!That tip tornado sport is a no-no!
    A simple overhead thump is all u need buds dont overdo it n if you cant get this rod look around for a Proper easy going rod preferably an full glass tipped rod which is rare these days.
    Another one is the zziplex profile match but it still has lots of power. Another is the penn surfblaster outasight nice soft tipped beach rod.
    Hope u get what u want buds.
    Cheers

8. whamers

whamers Member

I had back surgery 20 yrs ago and had been tournament casting for years,but found it a bit of a strain on my back so I learnt the backcast and went on to chuck it into the high 260s.Once my back had settled down after about a year I then started pendulum casting again.I have found that although my back is still not 100% I can pendulum cast but it gives me a lot of pain,however backcasting is ok.It is easy to lern the backcast and you can do it with most rods.I hope this helps you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. diviy

diviy Member

cheers all book a session with a tournament caster who is going to work out a cast to suit me he has had problems so He knows where I'm coming from

• Like Like x 1
  10. gonefishin

gonefishin Member

May I suggest you Google "Long distance carp casting"
    Its a style that is not often seen on the beach but with minimal practice and arm only effort it could be what you are looking for

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. simoniow

simoniow Member

My fishing buddie has had major back surgery fused vertebra etc . He used to over head thump , I managed to show him how to cast using the brighton style he has no pain and his distance has dramatically improved , even using 6 oz and big baits on this afaw fs pros in the autumn

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. basslawine

basslawine Member

I had a homemade accident beginning of the year (fell down the stairway the opposite direction to heaven:coffee:) and f****d up my right hand side back muscles and ribs, additionally i have 2 slipped disks since 15years.
    As no more pendulum, OTG and even Brighton cast was possible due to the pain in my upper right body changed to backcast (the other way around) with the right arm fixed and the left one pulling.
    Never reached the distances again i had with Pendulum, but after a couple of training sessions i can do 150m with 175gr on the field and compared to the other casting styles its so convenient as you see the lead during the whole cast, which makes the timing much easier and less critical. Second benefit, no step needed which on steep beaches or shingle was often followed by itching back due to unproper standing.
    This video was just 3 weeks after stairway to basement and i tried to implement "low swing" instead of high swing (deckin`the lead to often), so was quite fresh for me.

Backcast definitely worth a try, if it does not fit to your type of "bad back" i would assume brighton cast as next style worth testing.

I wish you a quick recovery and painfree fishing!
    Marco

• Like Like x 2
  13. DaveyBaxter

DaveyBaxter Member

I never got into the Pendulum and so always went for the OTG but recently started on the Hatteras cast - using a Zippy 2500LM and Primo Syncro paired with Abu 65's or Penn Casting Specials. I'm just learning the cast but for me there is less rotation / twist than a full OTG where the led is laid out behind you parallel with the sea. If you watch the 2 videos below Tommy Farmer doesn't twist much at all in fact he swings the led out 180 deg to the target field and then just hits it. The second video is fairly impressive (and what I'd like to aim for) but that guy has alot more rotation and foot movement going on.
    I am far from an expert but guess it depends how much your back can stand and what is your limit. OTG isn't always practicable and the Hatteras gives you the aerialised version of that and the rod can load quickly when done right - distances won't be in comparison to the full pendulum though.