World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of the presents Santa gave me were fishing related, so i was well overdue a trip to try them out. It was also time to clean out the bait drawer of the freezer to make way for a new stock of squid and sandeels. So I loaded up the car with a breadbag full of odds and ends of bait (squid, sandeel, and a few made up sandeel and mackeral wraps).

Three layers of clothes (+ coat) seemed sufficient for the chill (bit annoyed that I forgot my gloves). I made my way down the very muddy path to the beach and across the sand and rocks to my intended spot and started fishing. Second cast gave me the excuse to use my first present - a fingerstall (i had a casting cannon on other rod). That seemed to work fine.
Cloud Water Sky Fluid Fisherman

The rest of the afternoon was spent baiting up, casting, reeling in and watching a motionless rod tip. Someone else came and fished next to me with similar results. I did a bit of running to keep warm

It was my last cast (about 1.5hrs into the flood) before the rod tip arched over and a smalleyed ray of about 4lb was flapping in the sand. Time to use my other present - a new pair of forceps. I was using a new rig and the hook (3/0 circle) was presented right on the fishes lip and was soon removed.
Gesture Road surface Asphalt Sand Marine invertebrates

It turned out not to be as cold as expected and I took off two layers before the slog back up the path to the car. Blank avoided and 25% pf my way towards a BC Ray Slam.

Premium Member
Well done Gareth. Nice read and you eventually got your reward. Always nice to use our new pieces of equipment.
I'm guessing we've shared a few hours on that very beach. 馃憤馃悷

Premium Member
Piccies added. Yes indeed and my version of your favourite rig.
Glad your version of the rig worked for you. Look forward to seeing it. ( and maybe copying lol )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts