World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to the pier last night bang on low tide at just after 7pm. the plan was too target sole. There was a guy fishing who`d been there since monday morning and he`d only caught mackerel and pouts, he said there had been a few gurnards caught in the day near the beach.

We set up on the bend and whilest we had about half hour left of daylight we whipped out a few mackerel and herring for winter bait.

Once dark bryn stayed on the bend and i moved back towards the beach about 50 yds. First on the list were the pouts, as soon as the bait hit the bottom they were on it. Then the whiting followed, some were a good size so i kept a few for fish cakes.

Bryn had a treble shot of whiting pout and a dab, then i had a dab and a flounder,this carried on for a while. Bryn shouted down to say he had a good sole,then next cast he had a bass about 2lb, then another sole. I carried on with another dab, and another flounder then an eel. Bryn had another sole.

I tried my hardest to winkle out one sole but it werent meant to be, but i did catch my first ever plaice at around high tide so i was chuffed with that. we fished on untill 2am this morning , we`d had 10 species of fish, no monsters but was a really good session. wouldve been 11 species if id landed the garfish that fell off when i we were macky bashing.

Bryn took the soles and the bass for the pot i had a few whiting.
I also fished a rod with 2 live micro pouts on all night but didnt have any joy.

Next trip is chesil beach next week for 4 days after a trigger fish. Might squeeze in a mullet trip tomorow aswell.

Didnt get any pictures.

Bryn also fished grain yesterday in the day with family, landing 2 flounders and 4bass.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was pretty busy. dunno what the other guy was doing wrong. There was another guy fishing the end of the pier, he packed up just after dark, been there all day and hadnt caught anything either.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish the bend, pier marshalls peg. cast 30-40yds. allthough the snags appeared once the tide started to run. get there in daylight and work ur feathers mid water down the wall , u`ll pick up some winter bait. Good venue and very underated.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
good report there. I like reading your reports more than most as you dont write all the leading up drivel like 'woke up, made a coffe, got in car, picked first gear blah blah blah blah spent 10hrs on beach caught a fish went home..... ' lol!!
I think this year you have been the most helpful/informative and successful poster starting with ur rays atnthe gap, to the bass, mullet now a species hunt. Looking forward to hearing of your cod trips especially as i know (hope) it wont be just another dunge thread.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers mate. I will be hitting dungy but it wont be till xmas time. got a few local marks to try this year. All i wana do now is get me a trigger next week and ill only have one more target to get this year, a double figure bass.

·
Registered
451 Posts
well done dan. nice one on your plaice mate. sounded an enjoyable session...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Fish the bend, pier marshalls peg. cast 30-40yds. allthough the snags appeared once the tide started to run. get there in daylight and work ur feathers mid water down the wall , u`ll pick up some winter bait. Good venue and very underated.
i always try to fish the elbow.
always seem to do well there.
last time i fished there i had a nice size lobster.
been making some rigs up. wishbones, flappers and pully pennels.
gunna get there for about 8 tonight.
i havnt fished the pier for about 3 months as ive been out fishing from the yak for the last 4 months.
just had a dig round the freezer for bait.
will be taking lug, mackerel and squid.
will report how i get on.
can only fish till about midnight but still looking forward to it.

cheers.
damien.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
well done Dan sounds like you had a good night,shame you couldnt find the sole and good luck on the chesil trip mate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts