World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple of things I would like to know.
1. what is the best way of hooking maddies, i know the basic principle is to hookk them just behind the head but anything other than a twenty yard lob and they fly off. There is a bit in an estuary I know where it needs an 80yrd cast to the cahnnel :confused:
2. There is a surf beach I'm going to fish in Ireland.
If I wade out the water is gin clear and I can see large flounder and turbot (1lb to 2lb) all over the place but i can't catch them. As well as scores of small but 'catchable' dabs/flounder, but when i fish for them i can't get a touch besides the odd tiny one, has anyone got any tips for catching them (hence the maddies question), I can get blow lug, maddies, cat whites, and various fish baits.
3. Is it viable to try for these with a fresh water feeder rod and 6lb mainline along with an ounce or two of lead? I've tried light tactics before and failed misrably.
Thanks Chris.
p.s I'm sure there is more that I could add to that :confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
head hooking maddies is standard practice. dipping them in the water before you cast them is another trick as it holds them together and prevents the majority of there tails coming off. you will need a soft rod to cast such baits 80 yards(and a smooth cast!). alternatively you could try clipping them behind an impact shield to protect them during the cast. try tipping them off with a tiny piece of squid or mackeral to keep them on the hook when casting and also to add a little scent to the bait.

how did you fail on the light line tactics Tozer? is there much of a current/tidal flow here? if the water is as clear as you say then light line tactics should be perfect. turbot like fish baits. a sandeel tipped with a long thin stip of mackeral should generate interest. fish it on a long snood and let it wander the tide tables with a lead just enough to allow it to move slowly. turbot are often found extremely close in so don't be afraid to fish it near your feet!

the flounder should respond well to a similar 'roving' approach. try various worm baits on a 2 or 3 hook rig. using booms with light snoods will give you the edge(don't be afraid to use 6lb. line in flourocarbon are similar). a good way to present your bait is too thread a lug onto the hook shank, followed by a few maddies and or whites and tip of with a small piece of mackeral. u may take the odd turbot this way too. another ploy is too very very slowly pull the line to move the rig along the bottom. if the water is clear try a few beads and sequins above the hook, half a dozen will be more than enough. small spinnerblades are also worth a shot with size 0 attached to the snood with a 'clevis'(important!)above 3 or 4 beads. the spinnerblade should attract turbot too. hooksize depends on bait presentation with size 6's- 2/0 for flounder and maybe 1/0- 2/0's for turbot.

N.B. don't take this as gospel because i have never fished the place before!!!! hope at least something in there helps! best of luck with it and enjoy!

cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers that was very helpfull, I'm going to try and give it a go into the evening if I can but it's got to tie in with a family holiday so I think it'll be midday.
I'll have to see what i can do, there are maddies in their thousands just down the road, I could dig a pound in about half an hour.
I failed on the light tacktics because there was a bit of weed in the water and anything getting caught on the line simply threw it back at me in the waves (which were tiny). I was using a carp rod, but I want to try my feeder rod, but if all else fails I have got a bass rod so I can use that and fish a bit heavier.
My plan is to get hold of a bumbag, fill that with maddies then wade out into the turf and cast it about.
If I put a snorkel mask on the place is alive with flatties. I've tide some rigs with 6lb snoods and size 8-4 hooks. Mostly 2-3 hooks pats with varying snood lengths, I guess it's trial and error I've got two weeks solid fishing so I am determined to crack it.
Sods law says that it will be devoid of fish this year, either that or I will be unfishable for one reason or another!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts