World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use 12lb mainline on the shingle beaches of the South East?

I've recently filled my Abu 6500 H/S with Daiwa Sensor .30 for a session on a North Wales beach and had no probs at all but I'm concerned that the shifting shingle will cut through it easily.

If anyone has any experience with lighter mainlines over shingle then I would greatly appreciate your feedback...

Cheers, Sy

·
13,170 Posts
I've found the sinker can get buried in the shingle. Then you need a bit more welly to clear it. So I'd prefer a heavier main line. And I think your concern about sharp edged shingle is a good one.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I fish from Sandwich Bay, Deal & Walmer and have used 12lb mainline on my 5500 for years, never had any issues with it. I do tend to change my line quite often though- every few sessions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fish from Sandwich Bay, Deal & Walmer and have used 12lb mainline on my 5500 for years, never had any issues with it. I do tend to change my line quite often though- every few sessions.
I'll give it a go at Walmer on Saturday and if I have to re-spool on the beach then so be it. I had a few snags last time on the same venue and I was pulling through it with 20lb Asso Hard Skin but I don't like that line to be honest, not on a 6500 anyway.

I think it's just a confidence thing as .30 seems so much more delicate to what I'm used to but as I've said I'll give it a chance and see how I feel.

·
Registered
806 Posts
During the summer I use 12lb daiwa tournament on my 6500ct mag elite. I tend to fish Chesil for Black Bream and Gurnard, given how bad it can be there I have never had much trouble. Although I did lost what I think was a reasonable Stingray which had taken a bream bait!

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
these lower breaking strain lines are fine in their place ie clean ground no weed no probs but its the diameter that can cause just as much of an issue ie 0.20 will get nicked easy and soon part if shingle is washing around on it , low diameter lines for casting distance over clean /perfect conditions imho , otherwise its my 0.35 gear

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Have been using Berkley Big Game 12 lb for years and i mean possibly 10 years ?

Never had a problem and have fished the beaches from Hayling Island to Lowestoft.

Used off the pier's at Dover and Samphire Hoe.

However, during a beach session i will pinch the line on retrieve several times, of the last 10 or so yards to feel for roughness/nicks.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Hi If you use light mainline, ensure your hooklength and leader are still as strong as you would normaly use, I experimented with light lines and reduced my hooklength to 15lb, I soon went back to 25lb after fish were snapping the hooklength without releasing the lead, or registering as a bite.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
no problems bud, i use 0.285mm on my mangle and 0.31mm on my multis have done for years and fish a lot too. if your using 7oz breakouts in a huge tide obviously not best situation but for 99% of my fishing works perfect

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys I'll crack on with it then I'll still be using 80lb leader and a minimum of 30lb snood as I'll be targeting Rays so it should be fine.

TY for your feedback... Sy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts