World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some 14/0 stainless steel hooks. I'm after stainless as they tend to be thinner in the wire (therefore better penetration) than the mustad range and hold their point better.

Cheers

GS.

ps,,,,,before anyone asks, I use them for fishing big cuttle baits in the boat for cod in winter. A cod can still easily get it in it's mouth but it's too big for the doggies and whiting. My last ones were lost to snags last winter and I can't find any via the web in the UK.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'm sure you already know this Si, but sizes of hooks vary massively from one manufacturer to another. If you're after something really evil then I'd suggest something like a Cox and Rawle Meat Hook in an 8/0. Not quite the size you're after, but they tend to be big for their size (6/0 has gape a little under an inch) but are quite heavy gage. Not sure if they're stainless but they've not rusted after I've used them in the past. Blakdog has a few in if I remember rightly.

I'll stick up some pics of various hooks I've got one day, you'll never guess which ones are (apparently) the biggest!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi Folks.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some 14/0 stainless steel hooks. I'm after stainless as they tend to be thinner in the wire (therefore better penetration) than the mustad range and hold their point better.

Cheers

GS.

ps,,,,,before anyone asks, I use them for fishing big cuttle baits in the boat for cod in winter. A cod can still easily get it in it's mouth but it's too big for the doggies and whiting. My last ones were lost to snags last winter and I can't find any via the web in the UK.
Its probably going to have to be the Fleabay USA site for something that big mate,or Rok Max in the UK might be able to order them for you,probably worth a phone call.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
I'm sure you already know this Si, but sizes of hooks vary massively from one manufacturer to another. If you're after something really evil then I'd suggest something like a Cox and Rawle Meat Hook in an 8/0. Not quite the size you're after, but they tend to be big for their size (6/0 has gape a little under an inch) but are quite heavy gage. Not sure if they're stainless but they've not rusted after I've used them in the past. Blakdog has a few in if I remember rightly.

I'll stick up some pics of various hooks I've got one day, you'll never guess which ones are (apparently) the biggest!
We do use the C&R meat hooks in 10/0 for our small worm baits :)

The big 14/0s are more like a big game type hook, just seem hard to come by over here :(

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I've used these a few times but they lose their point really quickly unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestions chaps, i'll check out the web sites suggested.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Hi Folks.

Cheers

GS.

:clap2: I have some Mustad 12/0 in stainless, they are marketed by Leeda, not sure if they do 14/0's as I've not asked. :clap2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts