World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night produced another superb blanking session over at Selsey. Sea still looks a bit dirty after the big blow we’ve just had, but at least the weed didn’t show that much. I think there were 8 guys out tonight, and apart from the odd micro sized pup, it was as dead as a dodo.

That is apart from a fabulous rouge 17.5 pound smut that turned up out of the blue!!!

As I was nodding off in my bivvy, I noticed the guy next to me scrapping around in the surf with a big smut. He bought it up the beach and indeed it was a whopper. I went over to assist as the thing was thrashing all over the place. The angler (Ian from Bristol) was using one of those 2 hook rigs and was struggling to unhook the beast. As he managed to get a grip on the hook, the beast made a big thrash, and the next thing I notice is that the other hook is set well inside the finger of it’s captor. Both angler and beast are now hooked, and I'm talking a big smut hook as well.

Bad situation as the fish is going mental!

Goodness me, what a pickle.

Anyway, we manage to get the hook out of the smut and sort out a photo and weigh the thing. I think 17lb 8oz. I took the photo of Ian with the hook still embedded firmly in this digit. (Ian, I’d love to see the photo if you read this)

Smut back in the water.

Now turn away if you’re squeamish.

Hooks can only come out if you can get the point out from another part of the finger. This Ian does by forcing it through. By now the poor bloke is yelping a bit. (Quite a lot of blood now as well actually). His mate cuts the eye off with pliers. I don’t know if any of you blokes have ever been kicked in the goolies by someone wearing clogs? Well, that’s the noise Ian made when his mate yanked the hook out through his finger. He looked a bit pale, and to be honest, I’d have probably fainted.

Anyway, I shook his good hand as this was his biggest smut by far and gave him some of my finest bog roll to wrap the wound He carried on fishing as only anglers do. What a chap.

Totally crap nights fishing apart from this one ‘incident’. Not sure the photo will surface on this forum, but pretty sure the man from Bristol won’t forget this fish in a hurry!! I left the beach at high tide without so much as a bite. As far as I know (and I'm pretty sure) this was the only smut caught last night.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Always asking for trouble using 2 hooks when fishing for smuts :doh:

Somebody lost a "probable" hound on the pier today ... lucky not to have lost his rod.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Evening!
Always use my pennels, although seriously considering using one hook from now on LOL.

Many thanks for your help last night really appreciated. The Finger is a little sore and a bit larger than normal, but surprisingly pain free. For the one thing I feared most, it wasnt too bad, not that I would recommend it or be up for doing it any time soon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full comprehensive report on last nights Selsey Smoothound bash below!!!!

The end.:sleeping:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A group to our left were using mack and squid. They had a very small ray and a few small bass.

The rest of us used crab and watched the world go by.

Apart from the very pleasant company, it was a right bunch of old knickers.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That good? I swapped last night for herbs and curry,ar5s is a bit sore,but that's nothing unusual.
:crazy::wheelchai
Never forget,
A bads nights fishing is never as good as a night in with a comfy female, ( or male if you are a lady............ or a man........pc alert,) and three for a tenner reds from Iceland.

I think many forum members would like further details regarding the " nothing unusual " statement regarding your ar5s mr puff.:bleh:

I have also noticed a " Sussex " beach quote regarding four hounds that were captured last night.
Remember the " Sussex beach " post that started the run of the hound ????
I hope the mods have been informed of this " error " in informing fellow members of catch location details.:laugh:
If it was Ferring i will be most downhearted.:cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts