World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any experience with one of these or heard if they are any good ? I'm on a very tight budget so can't be spending a lot of money and these go for £35 on eBay , I know there not gonna be top quality but just seeing if they are worth buying , I've currently got a ron Thompson 13ft so looking to improve on this

Thanks for any replys
Tight lines

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi is your Ron Thompson one of those for £9.99 from go outdoors? I ask as I don't know the Mitchell one but have us ed the Ron Thompsons and would think they are just as good as any of the toss in the 20-30 price range. So would suggest if your looking to upgrade might be worth waiting saving up a bit longer in order to get a better rod?

When I first got into fishing I had rods costing 20-30 quid . Found the Ron Thompsons similar in terms of looks feel and build

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
My mate has an old RT and its up there with the budget rods about. Shakespeare do a good range depending on the ground you're casting into. Especially if you find a sale.

Reactions: ryanb

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
It will do the job...16ft is a very long rod tho..my concern is it would be very floppy and bounce all over the place in the tripod..tfgear stuff is getting some good reviews on here..if you budget is low then maybe worth trawling gumtree or ebay and buying a second hand diawa or or something

·
Registered
390 Posts
I bought one a couple of years ago....big mistake, must have been built for desperate dan [or Arnie] going to saw it up and make a landing net handle..........

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My rt only cost about £25 but I see the 16ft rod and just feel it's gonna be better than my current 13ft , don't get me wrong the rt has served me well as it upgraded my sundridge with an improvement but I'm just thinking the Michell will maybe be too heavy and a big lump at the handle ?
If this is that bad what would you guys suggest ? As I've been out of the beach fishing seen for a few years I've lost touch with things , been fishing about 35yrs on and off sea and carp but the beaches always draw me back , I'm looking to go for a 16ft
Thanks for replies
Tight lines

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
For your budget you are limited and you will probably find that most are churned out from the same factory just with differ stickers on them...I've got rods I payed 20 30 quid for that I love...I got 150 quid rods that I don't get on with..different feel altogether...Unless you start comparing butt sizes the only way you will know how it feels is to use it....if your really wanting 16 foot and can stream a little further than the penn rampage 15.9s come with fuji rings feel quite slim and the mrk1 (imo is better then the 11) can be piced up for around 50 quid secondhand. .good luck

·
Registered
19,953 Posts
My rt only cost about £25 but I see the 16ft rod and just feel it's gonna be better than my current 13ft , don't get me wrong the rt has served me well as it upgraded my sundridge with an improvement but I'm just thinking the Michell will maybe be too heavy and a big lump at the handle ?
If this is that bad what would you guys suggest ? As I've been out of the beach fishing seen for a few years I've lost touch with things , been fishing about 35yrs on and off sea and carp but the beaches always draw me back , I'm looking to go for a 16ft
Thanks for replies
Tight lines
:) I was reliably informed that the Michell rods were based on the K2 blanks, just cheaper fittings. ;)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
At the top of this section is a 50 quid max rod thread .have a read through it as you will get a better idea from people who have used the rods they are talking about

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ryan,
I've got two 4.5 mtr mitchell surf rods. They are good for 'flattie' fishing on long shallow beaches but are way too floppy for casting out big baits for cod or rays.
I use mine just for sole and dabs because the slightest nibble you will see it on the tip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies I appreciate them cheers guys , mixed reactions regarding the rods so I'm gonna also read the thread about the £50 max rods
Thank you
Tight lines

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
That's the joy of this place but..it show you no 2 are the same..some will love it some will hate it it's the hardest question to find a true answer to..it's the same at the high end of the market too...imo there are some cracking rods out there under 50 quid..all depends what you want to use it for...heard alot raving about the tfgear rods..prices on them have been slashed so you will get heavy discount. .owners are having a sort out I think..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts