World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience of powering a 17' Dell Quay Dory with a 50hp outboard?
Is there adequate power? What sort cruising speed and top speed achieved?
Any info will be useful as I'm considering fitting one and obviously don't want to fork out the dosh and then find I'm underpowered, struggling to get on the plane etc.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Unless you're carrying loads of gear or crew, 50hp should make a 17ft boat plane and reach about 22-24 knots, but it will always feel like it's struggling. Subject to the boat's max hp rating, I'd be looking in the 75-90hp range - you will always have plenty of power to get on the plane and will be able to throttle back for a more relaxed cruise.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ive got a 40hp on my Dell Quay 13 and get about 25 knots, I would guess a 50hp would be a little under powered on a 17' so would go with the above 75-90hp.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I had a very short lived experance of the sea swift 16.5ft with suzuki df50 on and it went like very well 3 up would touch 30knots but could cruise at 20 knots ok.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
recently sold my dell quay dory it had a 60hp johnson vro used to do 28 knots with 3 people on board . was a exellent boat the only down side was it had no splash well .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts