World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has had a total engine and gearbox rebuild by engineer , guy has ensured me he has all the reciepts with motor , 3 months warranty with power head, Want to 2 know would it be safe to buy or stay away and buy motor thats original , Thanx peeps.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The biggest problem with Mariners/Mercury engines is a small O ring which over time closes and restricts the water flow. This is a known problem and I am sure if you do search on the forum you will find a number of threads on the subject.
If the unit has been thoroughly overhauled I would suggest that this has been sorted and should give you a good few years without any problems. Might be worth asking if this has been replaced/mod done.

Not the most powerful 60hp but 1000's about including the RNLI using them albeit not standard engines, so they have stood the test of time.

If the price is right and a 3 month warranty as well it has to be no brainer.

Just my thoughts

Dave
:black_eye

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
4 stroke or 2 stroke? - the o-ring problem only affects 4 strokes. As to the original question, if a reputable engineer, it should be a better engine than one that's been through 13 years worth of wear and tear with nothing yet replaced - plus you get a 3 month warranty - you wouldn't get that with an untouched original engine. As Dave has already said, depends on the price as to whether it represents good value or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 2stoke up 4 £1500.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
For the extra £400, I'd go for something like this (assuming you're not limited to 60hp by the boat)

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PAA8960

But a good 60hp outboard for £1500 is not an easy find, so even if a little overpriced for the year, if you can be sure the work was done to a good standard, it could still be a good buy. The only thing that would put me off is if you're planning to sell it on again in the not too distant future because it's likely to lose its £500 premium in a short time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts