World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alarm went at 3.30, quick cuppa a leave the car to de ice and I was on the road, thankfully roads were completely empty with no other nutters getting up that early on a bank holiday weekend :)

Arrived at 5.30 just as dawn was breaking, no one else there and bang on low water, after a little down hill walk ( never seems as steep on the way down) and a bit of a climb reached the beach.

Was fractionally warmer than it was on top of the cliff with a nasty chilly NW blowing, not ideal conditions but a serious case of cabin fever so glad to be out! Could just make out the the water clarity was ok, thought I would start on a gun fish see if there were any takers in the shallows before the tide started to flood, after a couple of hours of scrambling over some huge rocks and searching a fair length of coast line sun began to just get up above the cliffs revealing lovely gin clear water but not a lot of "fizz" with the cross shore breeze.

As the gun fish had not raised any interest thought I would give a couple of soft plastics a go, after several casts and a few loses decided that this may not be the best bet and went back to a Sasuke, few casts and had a knock which didn't stick, kept on at this it for another 20mins but no more takers.

Had another clamber to a bit of a point, first cast resulted in a garfish which although not the target put a welcome bend in the rod, few casts later had a carbon copy, by now sun was well up, tide was nearly topping out and began to work my way back to my way back up the cliff.

Bit of wading to do around couple of small bays and began my ascent back up, it nearly killed me! Obviously very out of shape !
By the time I reached the top I was blowing hard and this was before the steep up hill walk that followed, so took it in stages and looked back to enjoy the cracking view.

Nice to be out again after a very long winter, great being out at first light always a magic time, very pleased with my new bag too, Patagonia water proof sling bag, bit pricy but very very comfortable and 100% water proof! always used a rucksack in the past which seemed to constrict casting and made my shoulders sore as hell, can highly recommend them! got it from Sportfish in Reading.

Woke up this morning and ached all over, must have a bit of a limber up before the next outting, when hopefully will get the first lure caught Bass under my belt for the season.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Hi JJ, at least you got out eh ? Nice pics by the way better luck next time
Regards
Dave

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Nice pics JJ73 and read.. thanks for posting.......it was a nice morning yesterday!
Great to be out there .. and they all count.. even blanks ..cos we're always learning.

Given the Gunny had no takers and if the Sasuke was 120 or bigger..( was that the lure that nailed the gars?)...and had had no takers....then I might try downsizing to a 75 -90 sized subsurface floater/ shallow diver/ suspending...
.....or if distance becomes an issue with these (given the wind) .. then a sinking 75 sized lure that tracks at 30-50 cms ...fished with rod up.
Good Hunting next time!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water was gin clear but did have a slight green tinge to it, thought it was just down to water depth and the bottom, don't think it was May rot..........Lack of success probably down to my ineptitude, although see seemed very 'dead' no birds working or bait fish visible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts