we are looking to go out in the next couple of weeks
we are in manchester so probably northwales or anglesey
we are both newbies my mate has been on his rya course
can anyone reconmend where to launch and also any tips and advice

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tie a rope, about 25 foot long, to the bow cleat and hold on to it when you launch your boat.

A very simple thing but you would be amazed at how many boats drift off on their first launch.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
simon seen that happen lots of times, last time there was a child about 6 on the boat on her own luckly plenty of people with boats about.

·
Spot on Ray!
37,426 Posts
Remember to untie it or stow it properly once you are launched and on board .......unless your boat is more than 25 feet long. My bow rope is 16ft long on my 16.5 ft boat , so if it gets loose for some reason :unsure: it can't get dragged under the boat and reach the prop.

Ray.

G

·
Tie a rope, about 25 foot long, to the bow cleat and hold on to it when you launch your boat.

A very simple thing but you would be amazed at how many boats drift off on their first launch.
The first time I met Raymondo94b from this site he held the rope while I launched the boat. It came off the trailer far quicker than expected, caught a fast tide run and pulled the rope through his hands cutting down to the tendons! Fair play to him though, he did not let go of my pride and joy!
It is better to tie the boat off to something suitable than to hold the rope, if possible.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
The first time I met Raymondo94b from this site he held the rope while I launched the boat. It came off the trailer far quicker than expected, caught a fast tide run and pulled the rope through his hands cutting down to the tendons! Fair play to him though, he did not let go of my pride and joy!
It is better to tie the boat off to something suitable than to hold the rope, if possible.
What happend at Weymouth then !!pmsl!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Beddie,
Have you thought about launching at Knott End opposite Fleetwood. I launch there regularly, it's an easy launch with shelter if the weather turns. I drive up from Manchester, and would join you but my crew is on holiday from Sunday next.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Have a look at www.prestatyn-sc.co.uk Prestatyn sailing club, based at Barkby beach, good club with tractor launching, clubhouse, secure trailer park and car parking, members are mainley boat anglers. I,m a member myself based in Manchester, 150 mile round trip to my address about 1.5 hours each way

·
Registered
701 Posts
Pwhelli is ideal for you, public slipway, reasonable cost, 24 hour access and your not launching into a fast flow, plus there are always people around around to ask for help, I've met lots of guys from Manchester, bury etc there, good Bream fishing just outside the harbour as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts