World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
F**K! Can't think of anything else to say... fantastic

Registered
Absolutely Epic!! 6hr battle! You're lucky you caught it early Samson. This is what I live for and dream of.......
Samson can I be cheeky enough to ask you your location on the island? And when did you catch as when I was there 6 months ago the place was ravaged with sharks.

Registered
wow... ow.. how?? fantastic achievement .

I did wonder if the stretcher was for you after the event, or to carry the tuna back?

Got to be one of the ultimate land based angling feats going up against a fish like that.

Registered
6hours 45 mins and a 2 hour hike with a 185lb fish! I bet that first beer didn't touch the sides

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ha! Thanks for the great response guys! I And glad you enjoyed it! The next day I was actually sad as I thought I never want to do that again! 6hrs 45 (Feeling Only lasted a day)
Cheers and yes that beer tasted good!!

Registered
Phenomenal fishing from the shore! Thanks for sharing.

Is that Acscencion?

(I thought there was no access for a couple years ref. runway repairs)

Registered
When was this?
I was there in April (one of the ones that was stuck), you couldn't hook and land decent black jacks from the shore let alone fight a tuna for 6 hours!
That and to get there at present you need to board a boat for 10 days leads me to presume this is an old video!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Yes this was before the shark infestation! I was out there with the sharks, not much fun! At least I could get home!!

Registered
Who cares when they were caught, those are two fantastic captures. It would be really interesting to know more about how you went about fishing - obviously it would be incredibly churlish to ask exactly where you were (tsk tsk tsk!!!) but I mean your approach to trying for them - was your plan to stay at the same spot the whole time or did you move around a lot, were you looking for anything specific before casting (birds etc) or just casting as much as you could, how far you need to cast, did you find any particular time of day more productive etc. I like a good fishing video as much as the next guy but videos don't always show the little details that go into making the catch.

Registered
Who cares when they were caught, those are two fantastic captures. It would be really interesting to know more about how you went about fishing - obviously it would be incredibly churlish to ask exactly where you were (tsk tsk tsk!!!) but I mean your approach to trying for them - was your plan to stay at the same spot the whole time or did you move around a lot, were you looking for anything specific before casting (birds etc) or just casting as much as you could, how far you need to cast, did you find any particular time of day more productive etc. I like a good fishing video as much as the next guy but videos don't always show the little details that go into making the catch.
The place isn't exactly secret, and the mark is pretty easy to find once there. He coukd have easily lrft out some dead giveaways if ge wanted to. The clip doesn't show the hardest bit of getting it back to the car though, it's not exactly a nice wide and stable path!

Cracking stuff, sadly it's now a no go for the foreseeable future (unless you fly to Senegal, then to St Helena, then get the 1000km boat trip that only runs once a month), but one day I'll be back to get my shore caught tuna.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
To answer that question about the approach to catching,
It's for sure a work ethic with regards to getting a hook up. It can be hours, days, weeks of relentless casting and no guarantees.
For this reason It's important to get the lure out as far as possible time after time covering as much ground as possible, and make sure it's not too hard to wind in or your gonna get tired too quickly.
That's the reason why I designed a long casting strong lure that can be retrieved fast without too much resistance! (Tuna/GT Candle)
Having the right terminal tackle is also vital, as nothing worse than losing a fish too tackle failure!
I found time of the day is not so important. I mean first light and end of the day are always good fishing times, but I think it's more about when the Tuna are passing by, as I've had hits in the middle of the day! And no real pattern to the hits!
Hope this helped!
Cheers

Registered
Thanks! I will never make it over to Ascension myself so I don't care where it was caught on the island - it's the approach to what is pretty extreme fishing (I hate to use the term but I think most anglers would agree what you're doing is pretty extreme!!) that is really interesting to me.

I was wondering how many hookups you had with no sign of fish and whether you see any signs the tuna are within range - birds, jumping baitfish etc. I've seen yellowfin be quite finicky (actually very finicky) when surface feeding, does this happen much in your area or are they normally quite aggressive? Do you sometimes (often?) see tuna busting outside casting range, and how far outside casting range do you think they need to be before you don't bother to cast - 25 yards? 50 yards? When you're doing those casting marathons do other non-target fish (smaller yellowfin, skipjack tuna, amberjacks etc?) climb on occasionally, or are the lures too large?

This is really interesting stuff - thanks again for the info and would love to hear more.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Hi there!
Yes I have certainly had hook ups with no visible sign of Tuna.
When I've seen birds diving for baitfish and Tuna busting the surface this is normally quite far out but I still see that as a great sign, as not only is it motivating and helps keep you going, but you also know they are feeding and there's a chance they could pass close by. It really can take time to get a hook up, and often you can go a trip without seeing a Tuna, or just a nearhit! But that's what makes it more special when you get one.
Yes, I get some other nice fish whilst waiting for a Tuna hook up and the big lures certainly thin out the smaller fish from taking it, so if you get a hook up it's generally a decent fish! Amberjacks like these big lures as do other big jacks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts