World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to unforseen circumstances our club (Odds and Sods) have a couple of vacancies for a trip out of guernsey on the 11th- 15th June 2007 (mon-fri)
The trip will involve travelling to torquay, and in the skippers new catermeran , travel over to guernsey. We will be staying for 4 nights in a pub on the island, whilst fishing during the day.
The skipper has many moons worth of experience and even spent 10 years as a trawlerman, on the grounds we will be fishing.
Out target species are Turbot, Brill, Bass, Cod and Ling, a friend of mine is out fishing there at present, with another boat, and he has had 43 Turbot to 20lb, 18 bass to 11lb and 11 brill to 9lb this is over two days. Guernesey is truly the sea anglers garden of Eden.
We are keen, friendley anglers, but also like to have a laugh.
Anyone interested give us a shout

·
Registered
462 Posts
whats the cost mate and how many place's you have?

G

·
a friend of mine is out fishing there at present, with another boat, and he has had 43 Turbot to 20lb, 18 bass to 11lb and 11 brill to 9lb this is over two days. Guernesey is truly the sea anglers garden of Eden.
Hi frostman
Has your friend personally had those fish or the boat as a collective?

That would be one hell of a catch for an individual!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cost last time i spoke to the skipper was £430 including board in guernsey etc but not getting to torquay, the skipper is also adamant it does not include beer at the night time, i dont know why :) . With regards to the catch this him and from what i have been told by my skipper this is by far not unreal in those waters.
With regards to spaces the boat is massive but he likes to keep it to 7 or 8 on these trips, i have not asked around completley however i should imagine we could take 4 anglers to our existing 3. Totalling 7.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ok mate i will get hold of my mate. i can get time off , if he can we'l be a deff yes

G

·
That would be an awesome catch if it was by an individual.

I fish the banks around there on my own boat and those figures would usually count (divided by two for a daily catch) as a very good upper average day onboard a charter with 8 anglers.

Per angler you may expect somewhere in the region of 2 Turbot and 1 Brill on one day and then fish a different mark and catch 4 reasonmable Bass the next day. Some individuals may catch more and some may catch less.

It is a beautiful and wonderful part of the world to fish from, but have the correct expectations and go knowing you have to work hard for every fish. They don't queue up to get on the hook.

Good luck if you go, you'll have a great time, but set your expectations more as I have described and anymore will be a superb bonus.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Jay
I will put u provisionally down, and i await your decision. If you are then i will sort things out via the personal e-mail thingy.

Hi tom thanks for the advice, i did mention that he caught those figures by fishing two days. Which is equivelent two two men fishing 1 day. Ive had good reports from others, and my friend would not lie to me, he has to little a sense of humour for that. Maybe he was just on a good day and some poor bugger on the boat went without. lol.

G

·
Hello Jay
I will put u provisionally down, and i await your decision. If you are then i will sort things out via the personal e-mail thingy.

Hi tom thanks for the advice, i did mention that he caught those figures by fishing two days. Which is equivelent two two men fishing 1 day. Ive had good reports from others, and my friend would not lie to me, he has to little a sense of humour for that. Maybe he was just on a good day and some poor bugger on the boat went without. lol.
Frostie mate

The figures are totally realisic, but only for a whole charter of 8 anglers over the whole two days. It would still be considered at the upper end of good.
43 Turbot is a hell of a lot of fish mate. One angler catching that many fish in two days would hit the headlines! Let alone all the Bass and Brill too.
I promise that was between all the anglers on the boat and you may have misheard.

Nothing against the islands though. I love it out there and would encourage anyone to give it a go, just go with realistic numbers in mind.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i dunt care how many fish he caught to b honest its a few days off work with the sun on your back with a rod in your hand ( hope my mate gets time off )

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm with you on this Tom, it's too unrealistic for 1 guys catch.

However if it's true I'm taking the rest of the week off and gettin' my @rse out there!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
b*****d b*****r w*****r sorry for swearing a skipper we use out of north wales, is on the guernsey trip and he coaxed my mate and himself to wind the life out of me, my deepest apologies to tombettle, they had both primed me up as a wind up, and they got me hook line and sinker it was the charter boats catch of two days collective.

I think i believed them because many years ago we used to fill the boat up with cod and ling out of bridlington and cornwall, and i mean literally fill it up, they had convinced me the good old days were back.
So apologies still good fishing though

·
Registered
991 Posts
Looks like I'm back to work then!

I hear the charter boats are having a good week, probably because the neap tides are better for drifting for the flatties.

Best of luck on your trip Frostman.

G

·
Like wise Frostman, best of luck.
Those figures are still a good couple of days, but you do have to work hard for your fish.

The key thing about the islands is it is a beautiful place and a chance to catch fish you may not catch at home along with the fact it is simply a different venue.

·
Registered
234 Posts
To put it in perspective I was out on a charter boat from Guernsey last Saturday over various banks. Catch for day (about 5 hours actual fishing time) amongst 10 anglers...

1 baby tope
2 brill (one baby one and one of 8 1/2lb)
1 pollack
est 8 bass with top being 7-9lb (didn't weigh it)
Mackeral.

Trip from a month before with 8 anglers (5 hours actual fishing time) off various banks
est 8 Pollack to 7lb
1 Bull Huss 10lb+
est 8 Bass (schoolies)
1 Turbot (20lb I think?)
1 Pout

These were two of the slowest trips for fish I have ever been on and quite unusual for the channel isles. Seems the waters a bit cloudy at the moment but once settled it should all be back to normal but the flattys above show theres always the chance of a good fish to turn the day around. Can't wait for the next trip in May hopefully the waters clearer and I'm told it's the hot time for flatties!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm off to Alderney, via Weymouth, next weekend :)

Please, please, please a Brill, any size will do :notworthy

desperate of Wales

:help:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Best I have ever done for three days on the bank, only fishing the best of the tide on the shoal was two years ago when I had 15 turbot & 3 Brill. :clap2:

Thats in 20+ years fishing in the CI. :blink:

Probably finally getting to know the ground now. :g:

I know of a super angling pro com rod and line angler catching 38 between two rods in 4 hours fishing but he is a master at it. Out there all the time! Seen him do miracles on the Bass, casting a Yann on the boat as well!:notworthy

Time of year! Tide you pick will sort the numbers out!:g:

Bigger one's later or more into the season! May - Oct
Numbers early on!March April
Thats the CI for you!
Take a look at my site's!

Who you going with and who did your mate go with?:g:

·
Registered
234 Posts
To put it in perspective I was out on a charter boat from Guernsey last Saturday over various banks. Catch for day (about 5 hours actual fishing time) amongst 10 anglers...

1 baby tope
2 brill (one baby one and one of 8 1/2lb)
1 pollack
est 8 bass with top being 7-9lb (didn't weigh it)
Mackeral.

Trip from a month before with 8 anglers (5 hours actual fishing time) off various banks
est 8 Pollack to 7lb
1 Bull Huss 10lb+
est 8 Bass (schoolies)
1 Turbot (20lb I think?)
1 Pout

These were two of the slowest trips for fish I have ever been on and quite unusual for the channel isles. Seems the waters a bit cloudy at the moment but once settled it should all be back to normal but the flattys above show theres always the chance of a good fish to turn the day around. Can't wait for the next trip in May hopefully the waters clearer and I'm told it's the hot time for flatties!
Update:

Last trip 10 people fishing banks only:

Bass about 16+ (biggest 6lb 12oz)
Pollack (enough to fill a hessian sack x2)
Turbot x2 (small and medium sized)
Mackeral x1
Cod x2 (very small and unusual for down here)
Wrasse x1
Dogfish LS x3

Personally I had the mackeral, one pollack and three bass. The three bass all went back as they were quite small (legal though). Also hooked up something that fought like crazy putting a good bend in a 30lb rod and then about four turns from the surface (and just under the boat so I couldn't see it) spat the hook :yucky: I was extremely gutted to say the least!

Anyway waters a bit clearer. News is that the mackeral are here but a bit patchy to find which is a little unusual, loads of bass on all the banks but generally schoolies with the odd big one, pollack to a decent size on the banks and turbot and brill catch rates also starting to pick up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts