World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, please can someone help me solve these two issues I have with some of my tackle?

Firstly, when tying a hair rig and creating the first loop to make the hair, how possibly can I make that loop very small. I only tie my rigs by hand with no tools really, and can never seem to get that loop as small as I want. Has anyone any tips of making the hair rig loop small? I'm finding that having a big loop results in my boilie stop falling off.

Secondly, I have purchased spade end drennan barbless pellet hooks without realising they werer spade ends. How are these attached to my hook link, are they good hooks? Whats the best way to use them?

Thank you for all replies and help

Localfisher

1,021 Posts
Hello there, please can someone help me solve these two issues I have with some of my tackle?

Firstly, when tying a hair rig and creating the first loop to make the hair, how possibly can I make that loop very small. I only tie my rigs by hand with no tools really, and can never seem to get that loop as small as I want. Has anyone any tips of making the hair rig loop small? I'm finding that having a big loop results in my boilie stop falling off.

Secondly, I have purchased spade end drennan barbless pellet hooks without realising they werer spade ends. How are these attached to my hook link, are they good hooks? Whats the best way to use them?

Thank you for all replies and help

Localfisher
If you use this method for your hair rig you can set the length of the hair as you wish.
First thread the line through the eye from front to back and draw the end back up level with the eyelet and ajusting to the required loop (hair) length. Then wind the line round the shank several times from the eye down to the bottom then back up three times and thread it back through the eye from back to front this time.. job done.
Look at the stoppers you are using as there are several types out there and some work better than others.
You can tie spades using a grinner knot round the shank, or there is a devise for tieing them but do not know how to use them. Ask in the tackle shop and they will show you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
look up the knotless knot...................its the one to use............as for the loop keep practising....you will get it..........ps my fave are small wide gape hooks............but i am a bit out of date now.......

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
regarding the loop, tie a loop and just tease it down to required size, personally i do not bother to much about the size, some peolple i know like a larger loop so the bait sits below the knot.

I use spade ends but tie them with a hook tier, great gadget, only a couple of quid.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ha ha, I know exactly what you mean! When you have made the small loop BEFORE you have tightened it up, use a needle or even the point of the hook, and put it into the bit that tightens to make the final loop, and tease it down to make the loop smaller before tightening.

I hope you can make head or/and tail of that as it doesnt sound very clear!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right ok thanks,
ill have a try of that then
yeah i know it takes practice, so im gonna have to put some in!!!
thanks for the replies and im glad im not the only one who gets this problem, ideally i would want the know to sit in the middle of my bait to help the bait stay on the hair!!!!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
right ok thanks,
ill have a try of that then
yeah i know it takes practice, so im gonna have to put some in!!!
thanks for the replies and im glad im not the only one who gets this problem, ideally i would want the know to sit in the middle of my bait to help the bait stay on the hair!!!!
bait stops help the bait stay on the hair, not the knot.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
one of the carp tackle companies brought out a tool/jig especially for tying loops and hair rigs..

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
I use spade ends but tie them with a hook tier, great gadget, only a couple of quid.
The site eludes me. Contact PAUL on this forum as the site he posted yesterday has it shown in step by step guide.

It is the same as the "Whip finish" knot that I use for fly tying.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bait stops help the bait stay on the hair, not the knot.
true, however, i believe that less baits would fall off having the knot in the centre of the bait then if it wasnt, with a bait stop on aswell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts