World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing it is a water separation filter. Am I suppose to replace it?

upload_2018-10-18_9-14-2.png

The second question is - WHAT IS IT? It is in a bilge well underneath the engine well.

upload_2018-10-18_9-15-3.png

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
1. Yes and yes - looking at the state of that, I would replace the whole thing and then replace the filter every year. As the boat has been sitting idle, I would also replace all the fuel lines - they are notorious for the inners breaking down and causing all sorts of problems.

2. What can you see when you look down it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clinker, I'll replace the whole thing then + definitely fuel lines.
Looking down to the pipe its filled with water.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Filled with water? If I look at the bath ring around the bilge it appears at the same height as the lip. As you are on an outboard the only thing I can think of is it's a master through hull for the cockpit drainage. Yet if it's holding water then that cant be it.

I have something similar on my boat for that purpose, although mine exits the transom at the waterline

Reactions: adammus

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pipe has a thread on it so something should be attached there?

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
At first glance it looks a bit like a bronze through-hull fitting for a transducer. The bilge is where I'd expect one to be located as it's the easiest part of the boat to fit one i.e. through the single skin of the hull.

What can you see from the outside? Presume there's not a hole in the hull? Perhaps the previous owner removed the transducer, but left the skin fitting and glassed it over? Once glassed over it would then fill up with water from the bilge...

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
At first glance it looks a bit like a bronze through-hull fitting for a transducer. The bilge is where I'd expect one to be located as it's the easiest part of the boat to fit one i.e. through the single skin of the hull.

What can you see from the outside? Presume there's not a hole in the hull? Perhaps the previous owner removed the transducer, but left the skin fitting and glassed it over? Once glassed over it would then fill up with water from the bilge...
That doesn't quite explain the coincidence of bath ring height though. It may be coincidence but it's just too neat

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
That doesn't quite explain the coincidence of bath ring height though. It may be coincidence but it's just too neat
Perhaps BK, but it depends when the PO glassed over the opening on the hull though. If it's been standing a while it could have been acting as a drain per your suggestion until the PO blocked it up ready for sale.

@adammus, let us know what you can see on the hull underneath where the pipe is located. Pics would help. Have you explored how far down the pipe goes? Stick a tube down and see if you can suck out the water. If the pipe is blind you should quickly remove all water and be able to see the bottom. If the water keeps coming and coming then it would indicate that the space between the deck and hull has become flooded.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your suggestions guys. I think it is a double skin so no hole in the hull but... I will double check later today, haha!
I'm still tidying up the boat, doing "to do" list and discovered the pipe whilst doing some basic stuff on the boat. I'll inspect the pipe later today when back from work but there is an awful access to it because of engine well above.
Ideally would be to have an inspection, waterproof camera :BigGrin:
The underfloor area might be flooded. There is a couple of leaks to the cabin through old widows seals, hatch, anchor space... The seals are not great so it might be the reason to have water inder the floor. I've already bought big tarpaulin and the boat will be thoroughly coverd. Adam

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's a tube for a through hull transducer. My hog had one the same style glassed in. Normally filled with fluid in my case oil by the look of it.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
Your engine is EFI so it doesn't need a priming bulb - it's only use really is if you want to pump out the tank (and can help to get the engine going if you ever let it run out of fuel and need to pump fuel back to the engine) - but yes, they are cheap and they can also fail, so if you want to keep one in your system, yes, replace it too - note they are directional - there's a little arrow on them, so make sure you put the new one in the right way round.

Looking at your photo again, note all fuel lines should be secured with hose clips (looks like the fuel lines are just pushed on) - doubling up is a good idea if the barbs are long enough .

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really helpful answers here - thank you guys. I'll be back with more photos soon.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At first glance it looks a bit like a bronze through-hull fitting for a transducer.
You are absolutely right! I've checked the hull and the hole has been patched. But it has been done well and it is barely visible.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
So the good news is that the patch appears to be watertight for now if there is water held in the pipe itself.
The bad news is that you don't know what material has been used to seal it, or how robust the patch will be. Most skin fittings I've seen are mushroom-headed on the outside of the hull. Is there evidence of the mushroom showing on the hull, or is the repair flush with the rest of the hull? A picture posted up here will help.

Personally, it feels to me that glassing over a skin fitting is a bodge. You have no way of knowing how long it will remain watertight, and the last thing you need is for the patch to delaminate and leak at sea. With the pipe still in place if/when the patch fails it could fail catastrophically.

The correct way would be to remove the skin fitting itself, then feather the edges of the existing fibreglass back and glass over the hole inside and out, before sanding down and applying gelcoat. I'm no expert on glass repairs though, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Might be worth sanding back the hull patch to understand how the pipe has been sealed. Best case would be that there's a bronze plug in the end of the pipe. Worst case could be newspaper and anti-foul...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your great answer. I will definitely put it on my do to list. Main thing is to get rid of antifouling from the whole hull, then I will sand the hull off and polish then paint the boat with gel coat or just good car paint. It will be sh**load of work but to be honest I really looking forward to do it. I will send over the pictures later - i need to jet wash the hull to get rid of all dirt, limescale etc. The patch seems to be done really well and the surface is perfectly smooth and you are not able to feel it under your fingertips when touching.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts