World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GREETINGS ALL :) I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A SECOND SOUNDER OUT ON DECK FOR DRIFTING WRECKS. ANYONE KNOW THE EASIST WAY OF SETTING THIS UP WITH ONE TRANSDUCER OR DO I NEED TWO SOUNDERS AND TWO TRANSDUCERS? P.S. I HEARD ON THE VHF ON TUESDAY A 76LB TOPE WAS CAUGHT IN THE THAMES ESTUARY. ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS? BECKS :cool:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Some manufacturers offer a second repeater head that displays the same information as the primary head but these systems are expensive. (Raytheon and B&G are 2 off the top of my head.)

The cheaper alternative is to fit a second set with transducer, if you are just using it to see when you are coming over the wreck a cheap set about £100 will be fine. There is a problem with this though. You have to make sure the two sets use different frequencies or they will interfere with each other, or you can switch off the set you are not using. Most sounders use a frequency of 200Hz but there are some that have dual frequency 50 Hz and 200Hz, these tend to be the higher price range. You could use a pair of these with one set at 50Hz and the other on 200Hz. The one set you use on 50Hz will show less detail though.

The cheapest way to go it to use a Humminbird along with another make. Some Humminbirds operate at 180Hz and will not interfere with set operating on 200Hz so you can run the 2 together. I have this set up on my boat with a good Lowrance in the wheelhouse and a base model Humminbird on deck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Becks, I know that Lowrance do a lead that will enable you to switch between 2 different sounder head units and only uses 1 tranducer. You can find details on:www.lei-extras.com/store/default.asp. Not sure if you can get them in the UK, and they are probably a bit salty in price. Personly I use an older Lowrance B&W unit for drifting,these tranducers run at 192 khz and should'nt cause any problems.
Steve

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings And Thanks To Chris P And Fishy. I Have A Lowrance 107df As My Main Sounder So A Second Unit On A Different Frequency Should Do The Job.do You Think Mounting The Transducer Next To Existing Would Be Ok Or Is It Suck It And See. Regards Becks :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Check the specs on both sounders and as long as they transmit on different frequencies they will be OK. Don't mount so close that they cause turbulent water to flow on the eachother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts