World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's ...

Just curious is 2 stroke outboard engine oil any different to any other 2 stroke oil , or does outboard / marine oil just add a few quid ?

Currently using Quicksilver Premium 2 - cycle outboard oil @ £8.90 a litre .

Is this a fair price for the type of oil ? Is there anywhere on - line that you guy's reccomend for purchasing , to be fair i would prefer to buy 5 litres / bulk @ one time

My outboard is a Mariner 75 model year 1999

Thanks Darren

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Guy's ...

Just curious is 2 stroke outboard engine oil any different to any other 2 stroke oil , or does outboard / marine oil just add a few quid ?

Currently using Quicksilver Premium 2 - cycle outboard oil @ £8.90 a litre .

Is this a fair price for the type of oil ? Is there anywhere on - line that you guy's reccomend for purchasing , to be fair i would prefer to buy 5 litres / bulk @ one time

My outboard is a Mariner 75 model year 1999

Thanks Darren
I remember reading a post on here about a year ago that said because two stroke engines on motor cycles and the like rev up and down regularly the oil is different. Outboards tend to stay reving quite high for longer periods and as such require a different oil.

I may be mistaken but it would seem logical to me.

As far as the quality of the oil being worth the difference in cost well I have no idea other than it has the word boat on the bottle:cry:.

John

www.pondcreations.co.uk

·
Registered
183 Posts

Currently using Quicksilver Premium 2 - cycle outboard oil @ £8.90 a litre
Is this a fair price for the type of oil ?.
I think it`s very fair price, after all, how much does a new engine cost. don`t skimp over a few quid, it`s not worth it. Weigh it up this way £8-10 for good 2 stroke outboard oil
against £3000 plus to buy a new engine.....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it`s very fair price, after all, how much does a new engine cost. don`t skimp over a few quid, it`s not worth it. Weigh it up this way £8-10 for good 2 stroke outboard oil
against £3000 plus to buy a new engine.....
oh yes agree 100% , im deffinately not wanting to scrimp & save was just curious that's all

Thanks again for all your comments & yes i will use the search function first next time apoligies

·
Registered
6 Posts
i use any 2 stroke oil i get hold of but i do run a mid 80s 75hp yam on it so any damage has already been done having said that it smokes just as much with quicksilver oil as the cheap stuff so i dont see a real problem. Many people will probably dissagree bet heyho if it aint broke dont fix it used cheap stuff for at least 5 years no problem :wiggle:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If it has TCW3 on the tin it is good to go whatever the price, high or low. Outboads run relatively cold so it needs an ashless formula oil, the heat ain't there to burn residue from an ash forming oil, the kind you use in a motor cycle or lawnmower. Your outboard will run on non TCW3 oil but it will build up carbon in the cylinders, somewhere down the road it's gonna need an expensive decoke. Reed blocks cleaned, possible replacment of reeds, definately a head gasket, rings, honeing, skimming, all the bolts you shear during dismantling, helicoiling.............to save a couple of quid a litre.....nah

Source the cheapest TCW3 certified oil, you are fine unless you run a Rude, in my experience they only run reliable on the genuine recomeded pricy red stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts