World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening, its been a while! Thought i may as well include a 2015 round up as well in this report so here goes.....

First trip was the 17th or april, expectation were low due to it being early in the season but...

the haddock seemed to be on the grounds albeit patchy, usually the haddock fishing only picks up around May time so with this early haul expectations were high for May but poor weather and work put a halt to any fishing for the next 2 months!

We managed 3 trips off at the tail end of june which in total produced ling, pollock, wrasse, whiting and dabs, 27 haddock to 4lb 13oz, 31 cod including several doubles a 17lb boat record followed by a 21lb 1oz the following week!

The start of july seen the Haddock fishing continue before i went back off to work again, The middle of august seen the first of the mackerel appear over the gunnels & some lovely Grey Gurnards which made excellent eating (highly recommend trying them!).

Also had a close encounter of the basking shark type!

September was let down with weather but i did manage to get some underwater mackerel fishing footage on one of my mates commercial boats.

also got a fry or 2 of herring...

October i managed my last 2 trips of the year, which seen the mackerel and haddock fishing tail off which meant scratching about for ling and cod.

So that was 2015, overall i had 10 trips off and a total of 48hrs on the water, my worst year for a good few likely just down to the weather not playing ball when i was at home.

This was the first year writing a detailed fishing logbook, definitely something i will be continuing.

First trip for 2016.

The last 2-3 years I've tried fishing in and around the christmas holidays/start of the year and caught exactly zero but after 3 weeks of solid gales with a flat calm forecast it was too good an opportunity not too head out for a run and try a drop.

Sam managed to land the first fish of the day on a rhubarb and custard sidewinder, then the second followed by a third....

Hmmm think the cod are liking the darker colours today, i switched my bloodhead sidewinder to a dark coloured eddystone eel...

That did the trick and was great to finally land some fish at this time of year! best of the day at 9.5lbs till....

it spewed up 3 good sized coalfish!

Most were around the 5-7 odd lb mark, best size for eating IMHO... now breaded, battered or fish cakes...decisions, decisions!

Tightlines for 2016.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Cracking report, mate! Do you ever do any species hunting? Hopefully my mate should have his boat in the water when I'm back home for the summer and we can get out from town sometime. I normally fish out from Scallowa when I do manage to get off, but it's been rare the past few years. Well done on a solid start to the year :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
You likely have to take the rough wi the smooth living in Shetland but you boys are very lucky indeed to have such quality table fish within range ( weather permitting! ). thanks for sharing your fantastic reports and photies, and making me green with envy!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Report up to your usual excellent standards Lewis, tight lines for 2016 hope to see you up at Cullivoe

Reactions: reeking haddocks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments!

Do you ever do any species hunting?
Managed 21 or 22 a couple of years ago, hopefully manage a couple more this year, got a couple of marks I'm wanting to try out.

You likely have to take the rough wi the smooth living in Shetland but you boys are very lucky indeed to have such quality table fish within range ( weather permitting! ).
Wish i could find some marks that produced different species of rays, flatfish maybe some spur dogs etc... 2015 i didn't really put in the hours searching for new marks (something i did a lot of in 2014) due to the lack of time i had off, 2016 will hopefully be different in that respect.

Report up to your usual excellent standards Lewis, tight lines for 2016 hope to see you up at Cullivoe
Aye, never managed off with kenny once last year!!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Good report there not a lot of trips for you but certainly plenty of fish and species there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts