World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in having a Boat meet - usually last week of May but we will go with the majority view as in the past

If so please reply here - even if you are based in Portland / Weymouth - I can then talk to the Marina about space allocations and use of the BBQ kit,

Steve aka the Wreck Fisher

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is anyone interested in having a Boat meet - usually last week of May but we will go with the majority view as in the past

If so please reply here - even if you are based in Portland / Weymouth - I can then talk to the Marina about space allocations and use of the BBQ kit,

Hi Steve. Please add me to the list. The latter half of May onward would suit me best but I will do my best to attend whatever date is chosen. Cheers, Neil.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'll do my best to attend Steve, even if it's just for the day because as you know i'm Mum's carer.
Let's hope were allowed to travel by then (y)

·
Registered
94 Posts

Hi Steve,
With the ongoing Covid issue I am not sure (as is everybody) what our state of mixing/travel will be in May. Not being even able to travel to the boat at the moment is a show stopper.
I am considering moving my boat back to Portishead where I could have daily acces. if things don't improve drastically by the end of March.
That being said, I really want to stay in Portland and would attend the boat meet if it becomes possible to hold.

Regards Roy

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Steve,
With the ongoing Covid issue I am not sure (as is everybody) what our state of mixing/travel will be in May. Not being even able to travel to the boat at the moment is a show stopper.
I am considering moving my boat back to Portishead where I could have daily acces. if things don't improve drastically by the end of March.
That being said, I really want to stay in Portland and would attend the boat meet if it becomes possible to hold.

Regards Roy
Understand entirely Roy. I was thinking if we have a booking with the marina then if (When?) traveling etc becomes easier then we are OK to go ahead. If we have to cancel again then its no cost to anyone, just extremely ......... annoying.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Steve, Last year I was booked to crew for you and Espadon on two successive days. I'd like to do that this year please. Completely flexible about dates. I had a day out with Jim in 2020 and had a great time on the Shambles with turbot and blonde ray despite being seasick. Can't wait to experience 'Wylde Cat'! PH

·
Global Moderator
1,294 Posts
Same as Paul, id have to see work wise closer the time, but would be up for giving the boat a nice run from Portsmouth... il leave a week before @paullynam. That should get me there when he does!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Nick Phillips Can you make this a sticky please but leave the 2020 thread for a while as I need to copy some details - thank you

I have contacted the Marina and we have a booking in their 'Rallies diary' for the dates in the title plus the BBQ for 29th May. Please note we will have to take personal responsibility comply with any /all national restrictions in force at that time.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the visiting boats that require a berth at Portland marina call 01305 866190 and ask for Bee Woodland option 1 on the phone menu.
Email address is [email protected] [email protected]

Please quote World Sea Fishing boat meet (Boat Rally in the marina's terminology) and have the following information to hand when booking:-
Your Name and full Address
Landline, Mobile, Email address
Boat Name, length, beam, type - catamaran, pilot house, etc
Dates of arrival, departure

Space will probably be allocated to visiting boats on Pontoon R with water and electricity. A 5% discount is applied if there are 5 or more, 10% for 10 or more - so cajole some more visitors. Electricity pricing / access is subject to the Marina's policy for visitors, and has been tightened up as some visitors were using berth holders supplies instead of the allocated socket!

The Marina would prefer 24hrs notice of cancellation but recognise the weather can conspire to prevent visitors arriving as planned. Remember this is a bank holiday weekend and the marina will be busy. The visitors car park is in front of the Boat dry stack, the first car park on the left is berth holders only.

The BBQ has been booked for the 29th - anyone wanting the BBQ please let me know.

Some suggestions for accommodation - try Airbnb , or the Aqua Hotel ; or the Portland Heights or the Breakwater Hotel or campsites. Try book somewhere that allows late cancellation, in case of a long, bad spell of unseasonal good old British weather moving in or we're still locked down!!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some more details -
The sailing academy, (see www.wpnsa.org.uk, 01305 866100) run the slipway immediately adjacent to Portland Marina, big and easy to use, plenty of turning space. They will also store trailers in a secure compound for a fee. There is a water supply here for flushing outboards etc. They have some pontoon berths available - ETEC used one for his visits in 2017, 8.

The Castletown slipway is free but you would still need to store the trailer as above. Use google to locate - this gives the slipway. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.5...8DqS1PRHY-FFm5D_tYLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Bait - Look up Chesil bait and tackle - its the nearest and bait is excellent (if you want lures its an Aladdins cave) you will pass it on the way to Portland marina.

For visitors - these are the details for National Coastwatch Portland Bill - Portland Bill - QAVS | National Coastwatch Institution

As its a bank holiday weekend to start with, you might want to make any radio checks directly with Portland Bill NCI on VHF 65 rather than calling Solent coastguard on 16.

These are 3 waypoints that mark the inner passage around the Bill, beware 7kt current at times and pot markers just below the surface.
PB1 50 30 729N 02 27 151W
PB2 50 30 718N 02 27 308W
PB3 50 30 688N 02 27 510W

The Lulworth ranges should be closed during the boat meet - as this is school holiday and the range walks will normally be open. So you can fish the Kimmeridge end of Weymouth Bay.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I’d love to join in but I’m in Wales. Given that the welsh government have told us that there is no rush to vaccinate people and their love of lockdowns I won’t be able to make it until the 2030 season 😬🙄

However, if it improves I’ll keep you posted :) I’d love to pop down to the south coast :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts