World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....As you all know.....day off work, weather was looking good, the lads also blagged the day off....

So Bart the shark (my bro), Pykie, Berley boy - Dave, Jakc my son & myself....

So got on boat about 9am.......Pykie calls me 8am - his son had to go to hospital to have his nose done (nose bleeds tooo often), so...of course not a problem !!....I will pop out with the lads, bang some mackeral for bait, and wait for his return about 11am....
High tide is 9.50am, so I thought - perfect....slack water for an hour 10.50am - pop in and collect pykie from the pier, then off we go !!.

That tide book, is wrong again :wallbash:..1hr'ish out...tide had turned and started to run by 10.00am !!!....so Im having to drift up and down to wait for Pykie.....only had 20 macky in 2hrs ????!!!.
The orange mobile network was down all day....finally get a call from Pykie at 11.00am, go pick him up...all good..

So off to mark number 1......about 45mins steam (she's a chugger !!).
But for 1 litre per hour, im not complaining :bounce:

Got to first mark.....had a drift with baited feather, hokeye's and Jellyworms.....no sign of Mr Bass or Pollock.... low tide should have been 3pm......so guessed it must be 2pm ??!!

I position the boat for one more drift over the reef.....followed by another 2 charters !!.. still nothing......

Motor up tide to get the position for anchoring.......

Anchor goes over - rope out, bouy on.......all good, anchor bites, swings us round nicely......lets get rods tackled up and ready for action.
2lb required until the tide drops a bit.......
200lb mono traces - can only mean one thing - Flapper city !!! blood every where......anyone would think it was the start of tope the season.
Rods go in, everyone is happy.........time for groundbait - BRING ON BURLEY BOY DAVE !!!!!!.....
This guy is seasick everytime he comes out...he has tried everything, wristbands, drugs, ginger everything - nothing works....but hey, not complaining....a nice burley trial going over board for 12hrs cant be bad for the fishing can it ?????.

Plus, Dave is good entertainment for us all........Dogfish down his jumper, mackeral down pants, honest we treat him like a king !!!....

So........ the fishing......first fish aboard.....Mr Pix....... Tope of 15.5lb...tagged, recorded, then released.
Then I drop a further 2 tope , Bart brings aboard a nice huss 11lb, Jack is in to his first tope of the day......dropped it just below the surface, looked a nice fish - we were all gutted for him.....see piccy for the effort & rod bend..then I'm into a nice tope - 26lb, ...... nicely hooked in the jaw, but carrying another hook out the side of its head.(no son - it doesnt count as your tope)..so a quick clip to remove the barb with the pliers - hook removed, then cover wound with Clin-ik (fish antiseptic), tag, recorded and released..... Then bart is in to another huss - Just short of a double.....
Jack is also turning green - told us he's tired !!, so he goes for a kip - with a bucket (just incase !!)
Another tope dropped..........(next time bring the bloody hook sharpener !!)......We of course had the normal slack period of tide in between the tope & huss - dogfish city........
so.............tide is now running, leads are not holding.....time to up anchor....
motored (well chugged at 6-7 knots) over to Lee bay for a bit of pollock fishing.over the reef......plenty of pollock, but all small to about a 1lb, still good fun with 6 feather !!......
Then we did a hour on the mackeral drifting back to combe....60 mackeral for the bait freezer- much needed !!.

Great day out.............I let Burley boy dave, take the helm for the final journey home (take his mind off it !!!).....
Good lad..............runs straight over a lobster pot buoy...
Not his fault.......these bouys were like the floats found in ya bog at home..8" plastic green floats......

So bart the shark saves the day.......clothes off, life jacket on......we tie him on to the boat with rope.over board he goes, KNIFE IN MOUTH !!!
Cuts the rope.........respect bro !! your a star.....

Thankfully the tide wasnt ripping through.....

Back to the harbour - tidy the boat, gear off.........then to the pub, to chat about the ones that got away......home by 11.30pm...

A great day had by all !!

P.S Rumour has it, the navy boat we passed was mine sweeping off Ilfracombe ?????? dunno about that !!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Bloody good session there :)
Nothing like the 30 tope in 4 hrs session end of last year..but good to get a couple on board....but hey, even if you dont catch anything......a day out at sea, couple of beers with the boys...you cant beat it !!.....

Today I have put the hook sharpener on the boat.....shut the staple door after the horse has bolted and all that :wallbash:

·
Registered
487 Posts
looks like you had a great day mate, some cracking pics,
i take it you only get an hour or so at the tope mark,

shame you had to put in the photo of the ground bait king

Andy

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Nothing like the 30 tope in 4 hrs session end of last year..but good to get a couple on board....but hey, even if you dont catch anything......a day out at sea, couple of beers with the boys...you cant beat it !!.....

Today I have put the hook sharpener on the boat.....shut the staple door after the horse has bolted and all that :wallbash:
well done Mr pix you had a better day than us.Aj:fishing1::thumbs:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like you had a great day mate, some cracking pics,
i take it you only get an hour or so at the tope mark,

shame you had to put in the photo of the ground bait king

Andy
No mate, we managed nearly 3hrs anchored on the top secret 'Horseshoe' (2lb leads )!!
I thought the Navy ship was making sure no one followed us to our Secret mark !!...hahahaahah..

Wierd thing is, no one ever seems to anchor at horse shoe :wacko:.....
Some days you get 10 boats..mostly charters drifting, then when the tide drops off....they leave ???!!!! Something I said - or do we smell ??
I know its over fished, but its still o.k.
Anchoring up at horseshoe is fine, I always anchor between the two big reefs..(just dont anchor up in the famous washing machine (the bigger reefs just inside the outer two)!! ....thinking tope feed on the fish coming over/around the reef when the tides running ??, so I anchor up between the two, this way you are always behind a reef...saves moving the anchor once the tide has turned you around...
Not sure if it makes much difference, just something I always do mate.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another Burley man in the making ,,,dunno !!!..it stayed in......BUT he's not stupid :bounce::bounce:...awake & alert when the fishing was going on !!! going green and sleeping during the journeys...thats me boy :boxing:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
nice report pix..:thumbs:,.good effort mate.capn morgan is hoping to get us over there this weekend if the fog stays off.

your tide book was correct mate.high was 9.50am and low 3.40pm so would run out at 10am.sounds like that book has allowed for BST?.and you added another hour...lol..

ps..any info on the tagging would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
nice one mr pix, good sport there. as wilky says the capn is plotting for this weekend.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Well done Mr Pix and some good photos to boot. Until I saw the photo I wondered if it was fisheries patrol you'd seen. Fisheries been through here 2 days in a row but didn't board anyone.

I like you approach with the reefs there as well. That's exactly where my head is at. Just been studying in charts of that ground oddly enough before reading this report :fishing:

Same as Wilky would like to know info on tagging if you have any mate??

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
deffo going that way pix too good an opportunitie to miss (only get a few days able to get there) great fishing chaps nice to see you out and about.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice report pix..:thumbs:,.good effort mate.capn morgan is hoping to get us over there this weekend if the fog stays off.

your tide book was correct mate.high was 9.50am and low 3.40pm so would run out at 10am.sounds like that book has allowed for BST?.and you added another hour...lol..

Hello mate.....
Sorry for not getting back earlier regarding the tagging..

www.ukshark.co.uk

The guy you want to talk to is Dr Ken Collins. He will send you a 10pkt of tags, recording card & the tagging needle free of charge.

Once you have returned all ten, he will forward you a stronger tagging needle, with longer lasting more expensive tags etc.

He wants all fish recorded from ya Blues, Porgies.....right down to tope and smoothhound....for some reason Dogfish are not on the list ??????:doh:.

How I see it is.............I love my tope fishing...and its great to see the new rules regarding tope etc, prob down to the efforts of www.ukshark.co.uk & other groups of people...proving the numbers are going down, so the more I can do to help that cause.....can only be a good thing !!..

So get yourselfs joined up, you dont have to own a boat !!...the more tagged fish,the better....more chance of getting a good survey report each year...

Tight lines Pix.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
deffo going that way pix too good an opportunitie to miss (only get a few days able to get there) great fishing chaps nice to see you out and about.
Hello mate, So the Captain morgan and the boys are at sea this weekend, cool - hope to see you out there !!!

I will be out tomorrow, get over there for high tide.......hope to see cheapskate out also...........a mini WSF meet - awesome !!

Cant do Sunday.............my wedding aniversary !!..speak soon, hopefully tomorrow......good fishing

·
Registered
8 Posts
we went out wednesday down to baggy,few boats down there with there anchors out no one seemed to be catching alot so me moved inside baggy and pulled two nice tope up one 50 plus and the other one between 25 and 30 good end to the day out again saturday morning

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we went out wednesday down to baggy,few boats down there with there anchors out no one seemed to be catching alot so me moved inside baggy and pulled two nice tope up one 50 plus and the other one between 25 and 30 good end to the day out again saturday morning
Hello Smelly mate..........

Good to hear they are about !!..........I'm out tomorrow, bot 9am....you in the warrior I guess ??, mines Sinbad......5 tonne lump of wood...so guessing ur be passing me on the way.......with the sound of a 50lb'er, i might be following u on the GPS !!:punk:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Still not sure on the tide book mate ???.........I still reckon high tide 9.50am (in the book), shouldnt start moving till 10.50am with an average tide of 8.4'ish ??...by moving, i mean a 5 tonne lump passing capstone at running speed !!

Every site I search on tide times for Ilfracombe are saying 1hr earlier than the book ???.today and tomorrow...

Maybe its just me mate ??:doh:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Still not sure on the tide book mate ???.........I still reckon high tide 9.50am (in the book), shouldnt start moving till 10.50am with an average tide of 8.4'ish ??...by moving, i mean a 5 tonne lump passing capstone at running speed !!

Every site I search on tide times for Ilfracombe are saying 1hr earlier than the book ???.today and tomorrow...

Maybe its just me mate ??:doh:
dude..tides are correct..the sea waits for no man! its in then its out!!

add an hour for BST..:wallbash:..on here..

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/Easytide/easytide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0535&PredictionLength=7

the local tide books are already adjusted!!..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts