World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the tide turns to a flood, there is a boulder that creates a holding area in lee of the tide that I have always fancied. Out went the mackerel head, and I assume my regular position, standing and holding the rod high to avoid the wisps of weed that can quickly mess with the baits position.

This spot, at this point of the tide has always looked right to me, but after many years of trying I have never received a touch. Wait, there was a knock and then another - blimey. Now it's thinking of taking the bait, and I call feel through the braid the bait slowly being moved. But it seems really unsure. That's better it starting to slowly run with the bait. I lower the rod in the direction of the run, and wait for the baitrunner to do its thing, but instead of a slow and steady run I feel the bait being dropped. I can also see in the swell a decent vortex created from the bass leaving the scene. Bugger.

I waited for its return, but she never came back. Upon reeling in I noticed the running link ledger had looped over the main line, meaning it was no longer running. Did this sudden resistance cause the bass to drop the bait? Who knows , but it was bloody frustrating. Later on I had a schoolie run that was unable to take the size of the bait. Expecting it to be part of a shoal I text Rob to say I'm being pestered by schoolies, but I was a bit presumptuous as I never had another touch for the next 2 hours.

The wind, under the building dark rain laden skies turned surprisingly cold, so I packed up and headed home for a Sunday roast.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Always sad to drop a big fish, at least no blank. Well done mate.

I always feel that letting a fish run with the bait is the potential of the fish feeling resistance, but also them mouthing the bait, not feeling it's right and spitting it. As in lure fishing, you have a second or two before the fish relises something is wrong.

So for year now, I set the stage that doesn't allow the fish to take the bait and run with it, selfsetting the hook, but if it is a big fish there is enough for the fish to run, but I do sit or stand right by my rod.

Tight lines mate

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always sad to drop a big fish, at least no blank. Well done mate.

I always feel that letting a fish run with the bait is the potential of the fish feeling resistance, but also them mouthing the bait, not feeling it's right and spitting it. As in lure fishing, you have a second or two before the fish relises something is wrong.

So for year now, I set the stage that doesn't allow the fish to take the bait and run with it, selfsetting the hook, but if it is a big fish there is enough for the fish to run, but I do sit or stand right by my rod.

Tight lines mate
Many thanks - just an update, I was back out and at the same stage of the tide had the same bite. I'm now convinced its a dogfish having trouble with half a mackerel. They can give a real good indication of a large bass at times!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts