World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I travelled down to Brixham for a weeks fishing holiday, and on the Thursday evening conditions were a little bit blustery but it looked generally nice so we decided to take a trip down to Slapton Sands to try for bass, i can't quite believe its only 27 miles from Brixham but it took us an hour to drive there on Devon roads!

Once we had arrived we parked in the carpark in Torcross and wondered down onto the beach, there were two other anglers fishing on float gear for garfish, as we drew closer to them he actually pulled a nice size gar out, that rose spirits, "great! surely if the garfish are in there should be plenty of food around which should attract bass", we wondered up the beach a little and set up the gear, by this time it was around 7.45 and the light was just starting to fade...

As Slapton faces East we thought the wind would blow right over our heads... not to be... and as-well-as the howling cross wind making bites hard to spot and causing full concentration :bounce::bounce: a massive rain cloud appeared from over the hills, not a good start - force 3-4 probably 5 with gales with rain.... (the hazyness in the picture is actually rain)

Anyway we soldiered on into the darkness and lady luck started to come to our side, the rain and wind had stopped at around 9.10 and the rod on the right of the beach caster rattled violently, my Dad (it was his rod) picked it up, waited for the next rattle and struck into a fairly solid fish, after a brief fight we saw a lovely bar of silver flapping on the beach, a nice healthy bass of around 2lb, unfortunatly he was deep hooked in the back of his throat so we was dinner...

around an hour later the same rod arched over in a far better take, instantly grabbing the rod and striking he stuck into better fish, the rod was a very light action 10ft beachcaster so the scrap was great; another bar of silver appeared on the beach, this bass was a comfortable 3lb, lip hooked, but still dinner, this was about 10-10.30pm,

the warm front had now cleared and looking up we could see an amazing spectable, the lack of light pollution enabled us to very clearly see the milky way, it was a beautiful sight, the vast haze and thousands of stars all dotted around, we also encountered 2 satellites and countless shooting stars, but the fishing had gone dead,

gone midnight we were thinking of packing up and hitting the hay, so I ventured over to the bass and started gutting the 3lber when i heard a call, my rod had atrched over double and pinged back in a nice slack line bite, i picked my 12ft beachcaster up (the closest rod in the picture), took the slack up and waited, a series of gentle nods on the rod caused me to strike, at first i thought i had missed it, cursing i reeled in until suddenly it woke up and fought back; another bar of silver appeared on the beach, a nice 2.5lb bass, and as a bounty to the sea I let him go, even though i think he wanted to be eaten when i threw him into the waves he swam back to shore and beached himself lol!, he did go back safely though to fight another day.

Soon after that we packed up at around 12.30-12.45 for the journey back

--- The Scissors in the picture are 190mm in length for scale
--

Location - Torcross, Slapton Sands
Time - 7.45pm - 12.30am
High Tide - around 11.30am (2 bass on flood 1 on ebb all close in)
Range on Casts - 10-15 yards
Bait - Lugworm and Sandeel (All Bass came on whole Lugworm baits)
Fish - 3x Bass 2lb, 2.5lb and 3lb

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well done mate - my girlfriend lives in slapton - i must remember to take my gear down when i visit! well done again

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Very Nice report, well done on the bass.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done mate - my girlfriend lives in slapton - i must remember to take my gear down when i visit! well done again
Thanks and definatly mate, slapton sands is like chesil beached but not overfished :bounce:

Very Nice report, well done on the bass.
Thanks Carter this was the best session of this years bass season :1a:
(i actually caught something unlike on the east coast where i live :cry:)

·
Registered
985 Posts
great report,suonds like you enjoyed the session,got to make the most of the remaining summer fishing,,the cod are on their way...brrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well done on the bass,dont know which way you went but i live in Brixham and Torcross is 13 miles from my front door!still at least you had a good trip

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well done on the bass,dont know which way you went but i live in Brixham and Torcross is 13 miles from my front door!still at least you had a good trip
lol i was thinking the same - its 27 miles from Plympton (plymouth) to slapton! i guess what ever the distance it was worth the trip when you get some nice bass!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks and we went around totnes because i think there was a regatta on at dartmouth that day and the ferry wait would have been killer

·
Registered
356 Posts
There is a new ferry now which takes twice as many cars and is also a lot faster,Cars drive on and off at the same time. I was most impressed still not as good as a bloody bridge tho!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts