World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
Honda don't make a 25 or a 2 stroke, so a 30hp four stroke then? The Honda 30 is a great engine and you will be pleased with it - if you want to go two stroke and new at 30hp, your only choice would be an Evinrude Etec, which is actually a little heavier than the Honda - one of the usual reasons for going for a 2 stroke is to save weight - the Evinrude would probably be better on fuel but there wouldn't be a lot in it - performance would possibly be slightly better with the Evinrude as it has the extra torque of a 2 stroke. Although the Etecs are very quiet for a 2 stroke, the small Hondas are about as quiet as they come and even quieter than the Etec.

The Tohatsu TLDI 40 hp already mentioned would also be worth a look and possibly the new Tohatsu 40 4 stroke, but as mentioned in your other thread, if the budget would stretch, the Honda Efi 40hp would, I think, be a great match for your boat.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi

the shetland sealark is a geat wee fishing boat and choice of engine for me should be based on what you will use it for. If it is for fishing and you dont need spead a 15hp will do unless you have v strong tides and currents so I would save your money. If you are wanting to blast to a fishing area then an old 2 stroke is fine and if you do want to potter around use your 4 stroke auxiliary. If acceleration is everything go for a 2 stroke otherwise go for a four 4 stroke. Also the 30hp is more than ample unless you want a flying machine!

Dave

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave, great post thanks I will be mostly inshore fishing probably no more than three to five miles out,I have a 4hp Yamaha as a back up,so do you think a new 20/25 four stroke honda would be enough,thanks again!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi

as there is £45 rrp difference between the 15hp and 20hp (power tilt model with remotes) I would go for the 20hp as this is more than enough for what you need. It is also a big jump for the 30hp so for what you are doing I would save the pennies. The engine has a 6 year warranty as well so enjoy.

oh the model number is the BF20 LRTU

Dave

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
There's always a rope to save getting the wheels wet or buy a 4x4

1 - 19 of 19 Posts