World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
21st...
After the crap weekend I decided that it was a nice day so came home, ate, changed, packed and went to Peterhead South B/W.
Fished 2 rods inside with Mackie hoping for Dabs and got nothing except a small Haddock! (witnessed by Wookie).
Had a chuck over the outside and managed to catch 2 single Mackies which fell off at the side. Wookies one was stolen and swallowed by a Black Back Gull.
Later on, tried again and caught 5 mackies.
Nothing spectacular but was very glad to get out.

22nd.
Nice night so went down Fraserburgh pier with intention of float fishing for Pollack/Podlies over the wall (was expecting loads of people already at best spots and was right). Was a lovely night so I sat there watching other people fight with the seals and watched the boats coming and going. Caught 3 Podlies about 1/2lb and saw loads of sandeel shoals right beneath with small terns dive bombing into them - also a seal with 4 mackeral stuck to it's head attached to someones lost trace - the seal thrashed about and ate the mackies right below me.
Eventually everyone went away so I assumed mackie position A and started reeling in fat 1lb Podlies 3 at a time along with the odd mackie (much better fight).
About 9:30 a huge mackie shoal (bigger than a football field came in to the bay area and I got a few but eventually got my trace caught up in a seals head and lost a string so packed in.
Here's a pic of one string of the Podlies and a pic of one of the seals...

OK, next up was 23/07/08 which I had decided to take as a holiday.
First went to dig some rag at low tide and then went to Slains Castle/Bullars of Buchan mark to see if I could get a wrasse. Conditions were fantastic, (see pic)...

lovely calm sea, arrived at the mark after quite a tricky climb down to platform with full gear and set about trying first float fished rag (flipping tiny geeties were stripping that) then ledgered on the bottom with 2 rods. Lots of bites but no hookups on the bottom. I persevered even trying a jelly for pollack but nothing - biggest fish I got on bait was a couple of tiny (3 inches) Pollack so began the long and arduous climb with all my gear back up to the top of the cliffs.
Got my breath back and made the ridiculous decision to walk over to the Slains flattie mark after all, it didn't look too far...
Got there knackered as it must be a couple of miles (note to self, must not keep taking all my gear in the rucksack each time!).
Fished on until all my rag finished and had 12 Dabs - even managed 3 dabs on a 2 hook rig, one hook had entered a dabs mouth and out the side of it's head only for another dab to get hooked on it :crazy:
Got home after that mammoth day burnt, sore, tired, hungry, thirsty but happy.

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Footnote on the Haddock - it had been hooked for a while before I reeled in and as it was only about 5" long I threw it in the sea - immediately to be plucked from the surface and swallowed by happy gull.
Another species for me though :yeah:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
fine weather for your 3 days sir

nice coalies to, shame that the wrasse didn't want to play always another day

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well done Briser great few days fishing

Any chance of telling me which pier in the broch you go to and what times are allowed etc dont really know the place that well.

Again well done:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
North pier - you can go anytime really but personally I wouldn't recommend it on your own late at night due to the potential for the odd undesirable resident (no, I don't mean me ;) ).
A lot of the time they lock the gate which means parking up and walking to the end but it's not that far.
Any time you fancy having a try or just a look just give me or Millser a pm (I think there is another couple from the Broch here as well).
I think there is a massive conger potential but no-one tries for them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
North pier - you can go anytime really but personally I wouldn't recommend it on your own late at night due to the potential for the odd undesirable resident (no, I don't mean me ;) ).
A lot of the time they lock the gate which means parking up and walking to the end but it's not that far.
Any time you fancy having a try or just a look just give me or Millser a pm (I think there is another couple from the Broch here as well).
I think there is a massive conger potential but no-one tries for them.
Ok cheers.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Great report mate - i was not far along from you on the 23rd ( wine cove i think its called ) i always fancied that slains castle mark for the flatties though, is it easy to find from the road ?? ( seen it sign posted )

Will understand if you dont want to give out exact directions,,,, just a wee pointer in a pm would be great..
If it makes you feel any better i couldnt find the pollack on wed either.lol.. but managed a wee codling and some saithe...

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Findus. Actually the fllattie mark is no great secret but involves walking past the castle to the left and then down the rocks and up and over an outcrop until you are facing the horseshoe bay.
If there is a swell stay on the upper platform if not you can chance the lower one but to be honest, the upper one is quite comfortable.
As to the one you were at, not sure where that one is - did you walk to it from the Bullers car park?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Lol... got my castle's mixed up, i was thinking about dunnottar castle but not sure if thats a flattie mark or if i have got mixed up with slains..
Sorry about that...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts