World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Part of the "Anti-Indleness Initiative" and exercising the "Wealth Preservation technique" of accumulating days out of the UK to minimise liabilities, a Fishing Holiday was called for.

In summary the fishing has been outstanding with PB Bass (Over 10Lb) and a series of PB Congers (25Lb and 30Lb) and a series of BIG fish being lost during the fight has been a memorable holiday to say the least.

Day 1.
Headed out to the harbour entrance and feathered for Mackerel. Caught a few mackerel and two rather large Launce (around 12" and 10" - they were like Green eels). Used them for bait on a Pennel 7/o hook arrangement. The fishing tackle I was using was a 10Ft daiwa Osprey Spinning Rod (Supplied) and my trusty old Abu Morrum Fixed spool reel geared up with 10lb bs and an 18Lb Shock leader.

I used the 12" Launce and hooked (at the same time) two 7lb Bass, one on the top hook and one on the Bottom hook. The Bass on the top hook got away just before the Landing net was placed under the two of them. A cracking day

All the fish were caught and released.

Day 2
Old Habits same methods. This is unforgettable. After securing enough Mackerel for the day ahead we went to a mark which was 25ft deep. casting a whole mackerel I caught a 10Lb Bass first cast. second cast a 25Lb Conger, 3rd cast lost a Big Bass after a 5min tussle. 4rth Cast lost another Big Bass, 5th Cast caught a 30lb Conger. All of these BIG fish were caught on whole Mackerel freelined. the 30lb Conger gave a 15 to 20min fight and to be honest It fought like a mullet. Im playing big fish on 10lb line and they are the boss! Then we went to a river creek and caught a 5lb Bass.

All the fish was caught and released.

Day 3
Old Habits and same methods. Only caught Mackerel (a lot of them). If I can get the movie clip on here you wouldnt beleive it! The water was boiling around us for 100's of meters of a huge, huge mackerel shoal chasing whitebait. Also caught a lovely spotted doggie and a conger around 8lb.

All the fish was released except enough mackerel for the day ahead.

The bait In all Instances (except the Launce) was Whole Mackerel. After the Bass was released the Whole Mackerel was slashed in very distinctive slashes, as if freddy Kruger had a go at them. I believe that this is from the Bass attacking the bait with their Dorsal Fins.

Evening Meals was held in the local pub, Trade-winds, near the Square and yes the obligatory HAJ refreshment in the form of Bulmers was in order.

Did I laugh?, I was laughing Non Stop!.....Non-stop. if I told you I was over here for the crack, well that would just lead to an immediate arrest upon arrival at CWL arrivals by Burly policemen with handcuffs.

Pics attached enjoy, and I aint gonna forget this trip in a long long while. As for the Bites, well they were the gentlest bites going (all of the Big fish was like that) a soft tap, i fed out line under tension , the rod tip goes over, strike and then BANG!

Let me know how to get the movie clip on here, you guys wont belive it!

Im deffo coming over here again! Deffo

Attachments

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
well done mate, looks like you had a great time with some cracking fish, if only the others had stayed on your PB's might have been higher, good report and pics

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hell of a 3 day sesh:drunk::fishing1: well done m8,great report and pics. hope you can link the vid,somebody will know:clap2:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
cracking report and some great pics well done m8
what a fishing holiday mate!!! , big well done!!, some excellent fish there, cant beat makrell ether for the big bass! ,
great report , and pics aswell mate :D:D:drunk::drunk:

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
I take it you were across the Irish sea somewhere?
Outstanding fish. Look forward to seeing the video1

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Cracking report there Nick, well done m8 :clap2:
Bet ya cant wait to get down the Knap though, huh?
:lmao:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Social Aspects of a Good HAJ. (Happy Angling Journey)

Drinking

Eating

Taking the Phish out of ya Buddies

Enjoying a "Catch n Release" Policy

Propping up the local economy

Pics attached Enjoy (the Bulmers was nice)

My Mates who were also fishing all caught Bass (one chap caught two Bass, one over 10lb day one and on day 3 a 13lb Plus one), an undulate ray, 30lb conger and more Doggies to compete with crufts and more mackerel than there are stars at night. A fab Break and laugh a minute. They also lost some BIG Conger Brutes which was lost during the fight.

Attachments

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
As Part of the "Anti-Indleness Initiative" and exercising the "Wealth Preservation technique" of accumulating days out of the UK to minimise liabilities, a Fishing Holiday was called for.

In summary the fishing has been outstanding with PB Bass (Over 10Lb) and a series of PB Congers (25Lb and 30Lb) and a series of BIG fish being lost during the fight has been a memorable holiday to say the least.

Day 1.
Headed out to the harbour entrance and feathered for Mackerel. Caught a few mackerel and two rather large Launce (around 12" and 10" - they were like Green eels). Used them for bait on a Pennel 7/o hook arrangement. The fishing tackle I was using was a 10Ft daiwa Osprey Spinning Rod (Supplied) and my trusty old Abu Morrum Fixed spool reel geared up with 10lb bs and an 18Lb Shock leader.

I used the 12" Launce and hooked (at the same time) two 7lb Bass, one on the top hook and one on the Bottom hook. The Bass on the top hook got away just before the Landing net was placed under the two of them. A cracking day

All the fish were caught and released.

Day 2
Old Habits same methods. This is unforgettable. After securing enough Mackerel for the day ahead we went to a mark which was 25ft deep. casting a whole mackerel I caught a 10Lb Bass first cast. second cast a 25Lb Conger, 3rd cast lost a Big Bass after a 5min tussle. 4rth Cast lost another Big Bass, 5th Cast caught a 30lb Conger. All of these BIG fish were caught on whole Mackerel freelined. the 30lb Conger gave a 15 to 20min fight and to be honest It fought like a mullet. Im playing big fish on 10lb line and they are the boss! Then we went to a river creek and caught a 5lb Bass.

All the fish was caught and released.

Day 3
Old Habits and same methods. Only caught Mackerel (a lot of them). If I can get the movie clip on here you wouldnt beleive it! The water was boiling around us for 100's of meters of a huge, huge mackerel shoal chasing whitebait. Also caught a lovely spotted doggie and a conger around 8lb.

All the fish was released except enough mackerel for the day ahead.

The bait In all Instances (except the Launce) was Whole Mackerel. After the Bass was released the Whole Mackerel was slashed in very distinctive slashes, as if freddy Kruger had a go at them. I believe that this is from the Bass attacking the bait with their Dorsal Fins.

Evening Meals was held in the local pub, Trade-winds, near the Square and yes the obligatory HAJ refreshment in the form of Bulmers was in order.

Did I laugh?, I was laughing Non Stop!.....Non-stop. if I told you I was over here for the crack, well that would just lead to an immediate arrest upon arrival at CWL arrivals by Burly policemen with handcuffs.

Pics attached enjoy, and I aint gonna forget this trip in a long long while. As for the Bites, well they were the gentlest bites going (all of the Big fish was like that) a soft tap, i fed out line under tension , the rod tip goes over, strike and then BANG!

Let me know how to get the movie clip on here, you guys wont belive it!

Im deffo coming over here again! Deffo

great time you had nick you've done it now welsh fishing will never be the same ok then pm us all with the place's name and it'll be on our next wales v englan via ireland match lol..you've ust made a lot of friends nick..lol

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Judging by the bloodshot eye in pic , looks like u had a great time :drunk:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Brilliant Fishing, great report and excellent pics ! :clap: It will be hard to get back to reality :)

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Well done mate - Ireland definately is the place to be to have a cheap fishing holiday!!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
great report mate! some nice fish there too

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
well done m8 good pics there:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What music did you play?

DH
....LOL Actually no music was heard at all during the holiday. But Wait until I switch the ignition on when I hop into Fido2.5!

Soon be hitting the local beaches and come back down to earth with a bump!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts