World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed Century recommend this to lubricate tight joints on their rods, but I wondered if it is ok to use this stuff on reel bearings etc ?

Anybody tried, and what was the result ?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i have used it on my bearings never had any probs with it ,used to use triflow but cant get hold of it anymore ,also if you can get it sfr is great stuff ,it stands for super friction reducer is quite expensive ,but my work use it so thats a bonus cheers mark

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
i dont use multi's, but for any bearing i would be tempted to take off the rubber shield and pack it with dedicated bearing grease before putting the shield back on.
fairly straight forward with a craft knife and care.

grease is far more unlikely to get 'flung' off at high speed, where as light oil's will just draw out, and the bearing will quickly dry out.

if you want a WD40 type substance with PTFE, look for GT85 in any tool shop. £3, BIG tin.

oil type, Superlube light oil with teflon.

any hobby shop that sells nitro RC cars will have a few different bearing greases.

your choice!

as for spiggots, plain old pencil lead or graphite. wont attract sand/grit and does the job very well.

hth, al.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i dont use multi's, but for any bearing i would be tempted to take off the rubber shield and pack it with dedicated bearing grease before putting the shield back on.
fairly straight forward with a craft knife and care.

grease is far more unlikely to get 'flung' off at high speed, where as light oil's will just draw out, and the bearing will quickly dry out.

any hobby shop that sells nitro RC cars will have a few different bearing greases.

hth, al.
I'm lost- I admit I'm no expert on reel care and tuning but i've always been told to clean grease out of the bearings then re-oil lightly with oil like rocket fuel that doesnt throw- have I been getting it wrong?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm lost- I admit I'm no expert on reel care and tuning but i've always been told to clean grease out of the bearings then re-oil lightly with oil like rocket fuel that doesnt throw- have I been getting it wrong?
He did say he doesn't use multis !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts