World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all just thought this would interest some off u a friend of a friend is starting a petition on a 3 mile ban on trawlers i think this is a brilliant idea and will be backing this hope alot off anglers back this maybe something can be done before the sea gets totally wiped out cheers rab

·
Registered
478 Posts
hi all just thought this would interest some off u a friend of a friend is starting a petition on a 3 mile ban on trawlers i think this is a brilliant idea and will be backing this hope alot off anglers back this maybe something can be done before the sea gets totally wiped out cheers rab
Where do we sign??.... The last few weeks, trawlers have been scouring the coast here after squid - no restriction - I counted 11 the other day in two lanes - the amount of netting from smashed pots and weed in the water was unbelievable. Today, less than a mile off, had to move as a trawler was steaming down on us.

Guess they have to make a living, but when you see 11 in a line going over and over pretty much the same ground you can't help but wonder what destruction is being wreeked on the sea bed. :cry:

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
I`ll be signing it just lets hope someone actually takes it seriously

In this months issue of TSF there's mention of the new political guy in charge of the enviromental side of things and has a large voice in angling issues , apparently he and his 3 sons are avid sea fishermen

Cheers,
Paul

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Where do we sign??.... The last few weeks, trawlers have been scouring the coast here after squid - no restriction - I counted 11 the other day in two lanes - the amount of netting from smashed pots and weed in the water was unbelievable. Today, less than a mile off, had to move as a trawler was steaming down on us.

Guess they have to make a living, but when you see 11 in a line going over and over pretty much the same ground you can't help but wonder what destruction is being wreeked on the sea bed. :cry:
Not very much I wouldn't have thought, if indeed.........."you see 11 in a line going over and over pretty much the same ground" ......same as they did last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, and ......:unsure:

Sounds like inshore static netting manufacturers could well be the next hot financial tip, boom times ahead........:secret:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Rab fae Fife, it is a collaboration of stakeholders in the Clyde fishery area who have decided that enough is enough and if we are to secure anything that resembles a healthy marine habitat for those who come behind us we have to act now. Scientific papers are now availible and have determined that the Clyde fishery is being fished unsustainably as I am sure sea anglers have known for a long time now! I have attached the petition in the form that it is being distributed, should you wish, you may copy and distribute as you see fit. We have got to get any sea angler with a modicum of common sense to sign up. To this end we all work.

Best Regards
Grumps

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this petition needs downloaded at the moment so if someone pms me there email add i will try and send them this and they can pass it on and on im not that got at using the computer cheers rab

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry but im not sure if there could possibly be a better way of doing this? I could be wrong but it could turn messy with names etc..

Just my thoughts,
Greig

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
rab ,a lot of the fish we fish for are transient species ,they arent always within a certain area.banning trawlers from within 3 miles will only shift the effort elsewhere ,and in some cases endanger crews that have to fish further offshore in rough weather.
the sentiment in the petition is understandable ,but its worth having a look at all the issues surrounding our seas before trying to get petitions up against one group of users .
how would we all feel if a group get a petition up against anglers because people dont like what they see happening on piers etc with lots of mackerel and coalies getting killed in the summer ?
its peoples choice to do this kind of thing ,so im not having a go,in places like the clyde it might be worth trialling,but theres a lot more to our seas than what happens within 3 miles.
for example ,i will bet there are significantly more cod caught in creels off the fife coast this year than there are in trawlers nets.what then ,move on to petition against the pot lads ?
cheers the other rab fi fife (popular fife name ,at least 3 on here !)

G

·
0 Posts
What it says:

To All Sea Anglers
BOTH THOSE STILL TRYING TO CATCH A FISH & THE 1000s OF ANGLERS WHO HAVE GIVEN UP DUE TO NO FISH STOCKS

Clyde 3 Mile Limit (Proposal)

Scottish Creelers and Divers (SCAD), Ayrshire and Clyde Static Gear Fisherman’s Association (ACSGFA), Community of Arran Seabed Trust (COAST) and numerous Clyde based community councils with other interested parties wish to submit the proposal as set out below.

PROPOSAL

It is proposed that due to the poor ecological status of the Clyde, the Cabinet Secretary, Richard Lochhead, uses his powers to amend fishing vessel licences in order that*all methods of mobile, bottom trawling and dredging are prohibited*from*the area*within 3 miles of the Clyde shoreline.

Whether you are a member of a sea angling organisation or an individual, we ask that you sign our petition which will be handed over at the Scottish Parliament in the near future.

Thank you.

NAME
ADDRESS
SIGNATURE

SCAD
ACSGFA
COAST
Alistair Sinclair
David Hodge
Howard Wood

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
worldchamp i take these points on board i should off worded it better it is for clyde area pm me ur email and i willsend this to u too see what u think off it cheers

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Cheers Gus,

Any views on COAST getting anglers banned from Lamlash Bay chaps?

Thin end of the wedge or stepping stones?

1 - 20 of 445 Posts