World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it will be 29 March soon...
Haven’t been able to get to the boat for 3 months. Will both batteries be flat? What else should I do before starting the boat? Pump diesel through manually perhaps beforehand?
Going to be super frustrating if first trip ends up going nowhere.
What I do you think?

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Certainly would of taken the batteries off, if not being used long term, and stored, maintain, charged. Depends on how old the batteries are, whether they have kept charged up, that the risk you take, easy enough to check the batteries first.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hindsight would have been great. At the boat we stopped....well we all know the story :)
Hopefully batteries will be ok, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you have a jump start pack or spare battery I would take that. Pumping diesel through manually - good idea. Give all the belts and hoses the once over before starting and when running. When it starts check there is water pumping, impellors have been known to stick and shred themselves, keep an eye on the temperature gauge. Might be worth some fuel conditioner if there is any hesitancy or slow tick over resulting from condensation in the fuel tank.

:) Good luck - the spring fishing season awaits

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haven’t been able to get to the boat for 3 months. Will both batteries be flat? What else should I do before starting the boat? Pump diesel through manually perhaps beforehand?
What I do you think?
I would take the impeller out and check it. do you have spare impeller and fuel filters onboard? check the strainer. take a jump pack. Good luck hope all goes well.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Stop fretting, it's diesel and not petrol. If it doesn't start on the button like it's always done then worry. 3 months is nothing if the engine has been kept dry and frost free. Batteries though, you're probably goosed but as long as they still have 12V in them will just need charging. Get yourself a small solar panel. even a diddy 20W one will keep the batteries in shape.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What I do you think?
All should be ok if engine well maintained, give yourself plenty of time to start it on your first trip, get her warm bfore leaving pontoon, and go for a nice relaxing day on your first trip.
Treat her like a new girl freind, do all the checks others have suggested but as long as batteries are ok, she should reward you with a good day out.
tight lines
Espadon

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, can’t wait... can anyone recommend a jump pack they have used effectively. I will make sure I have similar/ the same with me as an insurance...

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
What engine(s) and battery capacity do you currently have?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
3 months ain’t that bad....

Mine won’t have been fired up for 3 months but it’ll be key, turn and hope battery still alive as I left it on a shore powered charger..... just hope some numpty not disconnected the power.... 😬😬😬😬😬

·
Global Moderator
1,948 Posts
Mine started on the button after almost a year of not starting. Check the fuel line is primed okay, and test the battery is charged enough and away you go.
I have solar to keep the batteries topped up. Even in winter these manage to trickle charge a battery just fine if sized right.

Reactions: Norm B and cfish

·
Global Moderator
1,948 Posts
Volvo D3 160, I cant remember what a bought last on the batteries but didn’t skimp.
Is this the 2.4L engine? I cant find any info on the capacity bar one vague post(more my phone wont open the relevant pages after its lstest update🙄)

If it is 2.4L, you would be well served with a Noco boost gb40 or higher starter pack. Small compact and pretty decent for the money.
Halfords do them as do amazon and the likes.
Halfords also do few of their own which go upto a 3L diesel if not mistaken

Reactions: Norm B

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've a d3 190 can leave it it for months over winter top up the battery with a trickle for a couple of hours takes a few turns but always fires up does not seem to be a cold start fitted probably all done in the pump a great engine

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
There was a good webinar on this subject at the end of last Lockdown. I sumarised it in an article here: Starting your boat after lockdown - Boat Angling
Main things to check are: clear raw water intake to make sure it isn't blocked with seaweed; spin the engine without starting (hold the stop solenoid down) to circulate the oil, then take temperature readings at the raw water pump to make sure water is circulating as the engine warms up. The run for half an hour to make sure everything is working before you risk going out to sea. Most important to check the water circulation; small creatures have a habit of climbing in then blocking the waterway and filter.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well....went down on my way back from work. Pumped the fuel through, put her on both batteries and she started straight away 😊😎
So happy why did I doubt.
Going out Wednesday, happy just to go, can’t wait!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Personally I would set up a small solar panel to trickle charge and maintain any battery's not regularly being used to periling the life of them.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Well....went down on my way back from work. Pumped the fuel through, put her on both batteries and she started straight away 😊😎
So happy why did I doubt.
Going out Wednesday, happy just to go, can’t wait!
How long did you run it for? Just because it starts it doesn't mean it's OK. It needs to come up to temperature and all cooling checks done before heading out. Also check that steering hasn't seized before leaving the berth. Then you can enjoy your day out!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts