World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Two boat trips in a week have rendered me pretty skint for the rest of the month but I couldn’t loose out on the opportunities of decent species.
I booked the trip up last year with Laurie on the predator having finally submitted to the thought after all the years fishing I have never targeted a Blonde Ray, so the tide and date were sorted.
I talked a few mates into participating in this foray with the likes of Beno, Craig (Rambo) Lee (plugwell) John (codfather69), some how I knew we were going to enjoy a day out. Chris the dangler decided not to come in the end but paid his money. Hope you didn’t get too much of a hangover Birthday Boy.
The day started about 4am when we left home and headed up to Billingsgate fish market to buy a box of fresh squid and a box of fresh mackerel. I didn’t fancy spending an hour or so feathering for mackerel, just wanted to maximise our fishing time. A quick link up with Craig and Lee at Clackits service station and off we headed to Langstone harbour, only to be met by an easterly breeze.
We quickly boarded and headed out well past the Nab Tower onto one of Laurie’s Blonde marks. We anchored up and cast out our baits in anticipation.
The wind was with tide at the moment so it wasn’t too bad but still fishable.
About half an hour past with no interest all, then I notice some movement on my squid baited uptide rod, I left it for a further 5 minutes then noticed some more movement. I then decided to find out was doing this, I wound in the slack only to be met with a heavy lunge and the fight began! With the tide running and the fish making good use of it, the tackle was put under the ultimate test. With the rod bent double you start wondering if the knots a you had tied in haste were going to be good enough. After about 10 minutes the fish kited to the stern, where upon Laurie netted a beautiful looking female Blonde Ray, phew job done, I can now relax. A quick weigh and some photos and off she glided back to the sea bed. She weighed in at 21lb, my first and a P.B.
The rest crew were given something to aim out and quickly rebated with squid the wind however picked up and the anchor slipped so we had steam back and re-set. Nothing much happened until the tide started to slacken and Craig decided to go for a big Bass and launched out a mackerel head. Well after about half an hour we decided to move to another part of the bank so all reeled in. Craig reeled into an angry Blonde who had been chomping away at his Mackerel head, his rod bent over double as he struggled to control this powerful fish.
After about 10 minutes huffing and puffing the second Blonde came to the net.
His first and a P.B. of 22lb 03oz he also said that this was his biggest sea fish, well done mate! Well we moved up the bank to catch the last of the flood and just before high tide and before decided to move inside as the weather was going to get worse with wind against tide. By this time a couple of the crew decided to ground bait and the tell tale sound of reaching and burping rang across the back of the boat.
But just as we decided haul in, Beno sprang into action with over rod bending over as he too struggled to control another Blonde. The fish was landed after a good few minutes of puffing and panting. This time it was a male fish of 16lb, he too was over the moon and after a few picture sessions it was returned.
We headed back past the Nab into a bit of shelter to spend the last few hours after a few Hounds and Rays. It wasn’t long before Steve D who put his chunder session behind bagged a hound of about 8lb followed by myself probably the last of the year for me a fish close to double figures. The day ended with a few small Thornbacks, bream and dogfish.
Unlucky to those who didn’t catch but overall it wasn’t a bad trip considering the conditions we were fishing in. Well done to those who were lucky enough to catch too. Thanks to Beno who helped out with the photography.

A few pictures of the day.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
A fantastic Day out Ed thanks Matey , thanks to Laurie too he really is a top skipper and got us ionto the fish, even though the fish were thin on the ground (think mainly due to the choppy and lurching sea not keeping our baits on the bottom) we still had a cracking day ( a few chunders over the side kept us all amused ) and we caught some very good Blonde Rays:hug: :wiggle:

Can,t wait for another trip. well done Craig aswell bet you,ll be smiling fo a week or two:clap2::clap::fish::fishing:

·
Registered
300 Posts
What a day! cant believe I beat my biggest ever sea fish by 10lb! I cant stop looking at the picture, so far its my screensaver on my phone & on my computer as well as my profile picture on facebook! I also caught my first ever scad which i caught 2 of on baited feathers as well as mr mackerel and a black bream. now all i need is a 20lb+ cod (please mr fish god i'll leave the flounders alone in january i promise!)

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
nice one eddster shame about the weather tackle collecting coming on now see you soon bazzer

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ok ok I threw up. :cc_surren Three cracking fish well done lads cheers eddie for organising the day I didn't want a ray anyway. roll on you coddies :wiggle::

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
good report Eddie and congrats on everyones pb.

·
Wind Up Merchant
5,985 Posts
good report and piccys mr edd,would have loved to come and play but tied up this weekend (not with the dangler either lol),well done on pb's:wiggle:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well done everyone! Craig - as if you'll leave the flounders alone in the winter, loL! :laugh:

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Great report and pics Ed! Shame about the Hughieing......Kev benham always had good advice for the victims......if you bring up something round and hairy, swallow it again 'cos its probably your ring piece.....always the sympathetic!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well done everyone! Craig - as if you'll leave the flounders alone in the winter, loL! :laugh:
lol.... im hoping i would of caught my 20lb+ Cod by then, then i dont have to stick to my side of the bargain!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.