World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Would like opinions on this, Just brought this line from flee-bay, DIP CHROMIUM MARINE its a Japanese co-polymer .35mm diameter with line strength of 14,850kg thats around 31lb . Feels very smooth and soft and box says good abrasion resistance
My question is with the rule for line strength = 10lb line for every 1oz cast.
With the lines low diameter of .35 would it be safe to overhead cast a 3oz lead without a shock leader, on a multiplear with level line to save the leader knott going through level line bars, I,m talking about a fishing cast not a power cast, fishing over clean ground
Thanks all
Ken

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
the low diameter lines are renowned for failing their stated strength and/or thickness tests. I'd firstly use a micrometer to test thickness, then tie off a big swivel and do strength test.
But to use it as a leader/straight through would be a bad Idea I reckon. It'd only need a little nick and it'd be weakened. If it is what it says it is then wow!! But I doubt it

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
With such a thin diameter only the tiniest of nicks in the line will reduce its potential breaking strain considerably from 31lb to 20lb, on that I would strongly suggest its best kept away from the beach.

I've some Awashima mono 0.25mm that has a 22kg BS on a direct pull test it's magic, tie a normal fishing knot (tucked blood or grinner) and it's down to half if not less :g:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
as crusty says,these low diameter mainlines rarely live up to there stated breaking strains,tryed the awa-shima ion reflekta once was supposed to be 0.36 with a bs of 44lbs what a load of bo***cks tested it & got a bs of around 20lb think awa-shima have got there kg & lbs mixed up lol:blink:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Use a leader, it takes the wear and tear of fishing, you can replace the leader instead of chopping several yards off the main line.
I have been using chromium marine 19.3lbs 0.265mm for nearly 2 years fishing from Clevedon pier. It is a nice line to fish with, but you have to find knots that work with the line, otherwise, as said, it breaks easily.
It is now time to replace the lines and I am switching to braid, so much thinner again. I've used 0.20mm braid for beach fishing for 18 months and I am vey pleased with the way it casts and fishes. It works very well with multipliers, I've never had any of the problems that are put about by the doom-merchants.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I used this line for a while, it is very strong, I would suggest that the dia and breaking strain is quite accurate, however, if you get snagged it will break at any point, ie at the rod tip, at the reel, at the leader knot etc, this is not good. Teklon Gold is the line for me, excellent line but not cheap, you get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts