World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned and run various smaller craft all with outboards 2 and 4 stroke all my fishing life I was wondering if any of you have any advice on these units.....
Things to look out for and be aware of etc,servicing issues and so on...............

Before you all say it yes I know the fuel consumption is an issue but I dont have a heavy right hand and neither travel for hrs on end!

Any help pointers appreciated.

PS mackrel shoals in at carmarthen bay,had a binfull last wk!

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The gaskets on the Alpha leg should be checked, can't remember the recomended service interval on them but they will be due for changing pretty soon. Apart from that good engine and leg. Engine is pretty much he same as a car engine to service if you are handy with a spanner.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Loads of manuals here
http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLD,GGLD:2004-48,GGLD:en&q=mercruiser+manual

Ckeck your manual for the service interval on the gaskets, they are what seal up the hole in the transom. It is not possible to inspect them in situ, the only way is to remove them. With all the work involved in getting in to them it is false economy not to replace them even if they look sound. Bit like changing the clutch in a car and not replacing the bearing whilst you are in there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts