World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my awaited Oban fishing trip aboard my mates boat finaly arrived. We set off at 2am for the long drive to Oban on tuesday, after a very long drive meeting up with the rest of the boats we finaly reached oban. The local charter boats hadnt gone to the skate grounds due to bad weather so we decided against it and headed for lock etive. After a pot of tea and a bacon sarney we launched the boats at about 11am. This wasnt to be our day as we wernt prepared for the 420ft deep lock and kept drifting all the time which resulted in us not catching for the 1st day. Other boats did very well with codling to 6lb, haddock to 2.5lb, spurdog, whiting, dogfish and thornback rays.
For the second day we were ready for the skate with the weather improving and more rope on the anchor for the 520ft depth we were to fish in. The 1st bite was on my rod which resulted in my 1st ever skate after a 44minute battle the skate measured 169lb, boy was i knackered after that. The second bite came to tonys rod which again after a very long battle resulted in a skate of 163lb, that night we headed to some rocks near a local scrap yard which got me my 1st ever thornback ray weighing in at 3lb.
The weather stayed good for the 3rd day but due to the hammering the day before the skate had moved on, so ron the skipper had the only skate of the day weighing in at 27lb, it was still a skate so we were happy, i also got my 1st ever spurdog weighing in at 4lb.
The 4th and final day saw the boat next to us connect with 11 skate and managing to get 7 of them to the boat, i got my second skate which weighed a massive 22lb, tony had another realy good fish on again but it managed to wrap around the anchor chain which resulted in loosing the fish and 2hrs of shear hell trying to sort the mess out with his line and the 620ft of anchor rope.
Ive thourouly enjoyed my 1st skate fishing experience, catching 3 species ive never caught before, the power of these fish are unbelivable. You have got to try it. Im already looking forward to next year and it helps when you go with a great bunch of lads like i did. hopefuly the pictures wont be to far away as ive emailed them to mike to put them on here as ive gave up trying to do it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Well done Rob, a that's what I call a fishing trip :clap3:

Just waiting for the photos to come through then I'll post them for you rob.
ps, nice talking to you on the phone.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Here you go guys... Very Nice Fish & another Record for our Rob :clap2:

(One more photo in the next post )

Attachments

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
No problem rob I'm happy to help :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
nice session there robert , well done on all yer pb,s:clap3: :clap3: they are a magnificent fish aint they ?:clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well done again Rob mate,even though ive already give you a pat on the back mate.Even the wife was impressed when you came round to show me the pics last night,especially when you told her you didnt knock it on the head.lol

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
excellent report lads and great pics too... well done

al

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Top report and nice pic's too.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
700 Posts
now thats a fish lol i went on the hunt for them in scotland 2 yrs ago and didnt get 1 but i really do wonna find 1 now and from watching dream fishing last night on discovery real time lol they was at oban fishing 4 them and they was massive

ooo and well done rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts