World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO THIS MONTHS SEA ANGLER has just hit my mat ,
and in there page 39 is the pic of the chap that caught and killed the fish , and one of 9.2 ,

Now im not going to get into what he did , /should have , shouldnt have done ,
but i notice a certain big name angler /journalist did on his blog

That said it was disgraceful . wrong to kill um

Fair enough , as always , everyone is allowed there own opinions

But as sea angler titled it ,

CATCH OF THE CENTURY

seems a little strange as the bass section in there, is the baby of said journalist

Dont they talk , or confer .

I FOR ONE ,THINK IT WAS A GREAT CATCH

and because there is no law in this land , (like there should be ,as in ireland , 2 fish per day per rod , great rule , by the way , )

Then what he did after the catch was up to him ,...

I have said before , on another thread , that mike ladel is an angling bass god down here , and a lot of us owe him a lot , and thank him loads , but some of his pic catches , back in the day , are as bad , or for big fish numbers are a lot lot worse , but hey , because it was years ago , dont matter , as i said , there was no law then , as there is no law now ,

so i think that some people are out of order to pass judgement ....

Worry about the 40 ton a pair trawler , will take this winter , all big breeding females , in one night , then think of that times 10 or more through the winter ,
(i always do , thats what make me cry , )

No good throwing back at me , well if everyone did it bla bla ,

he ground baited 2 weeks , so everyone's not going to do it , and even if every shore angler killed every double caught on rod and line from the shore , in a year , do you think it would be 3 ton , 5 ton , who knows

Sorry but worry about the bigger picture , just because they buy a big licence for there big boats , there sona , tells them where to strike ,

these mass big females dont stand a chance

If some one could put up the clip / link of these tons of huge fish being done , that will giveyou something to cry about ..

So hats off to you shaun yates , hell of a shore catch .

weather killing them after was right or wrong , is not for me , or anyone else to judge .

Sea angler who pay peoples wages , say its catch of the century

Good enough for me

if people can live with what they have done after , than let them , till the law changes , its not wrong ,

morally maybe , but look at any old bass books , mass dead bass catches , same law s then as now ,

we need a law CHANGE , till then . great catch ,

·
Registered
790 Posts
Happy to take money from magazine but then slate all their pictures and stories ... not exactly smartest move.

Also (as I said on his blog but was ignored), talk about missing wood for trees - I would say that a commercial netting or worse trawling does more damage in one hour (maybe even 15mins in case of trawling) than this catch of a life time whilst the destructive fishing practises of the commercial sector go along unnoticed. This really really makes my blood boil - its like people are making "trendy" statements about CR rather than dealing with real (but less trendy) issue :( :( :(

·
Registered
759 Posts
Have to agree, great catch, but own personal opinion - would have been even better if he'd released them!

I only wish we did have the same laws as in Ireland.
Can't help feeling everytime I release one (and I've released them all so far this season), that some commercials/netters are laughing up their wallets. Or some other angler just kills it.
But what can you do? Laws have to change.
As for said journo, must be hard to keep your feet in both camps, poor bloke.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Looting is illegal,if your excuse is you were passing by and if you didn't take the flat screen someone else would have, you deserve everything you get,you are still part of the problem.IMHO the natural resources of the sea are looted every day and unsustainable due to population pressures, but it is legal.So you have to live by your own moral code,personally i would have returned fish of that ilk ,even knowing i wasn't helping sustain bass populations at all.Looking foward to hearing everyones opinion on this and keeping an open mind to other opinions.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Looting is illegal,if your excuse is you were passing by and if you didn't take the flat screen someone else would have, you deserve everything you get,you are still part of the problem.IMHO the natural resources of the sea are looted every day and unsustainable due to population pressures, but it is legal.So you have to live by your own moral code,personally i would have returned fish of that ilk ,even knowing i wasn't helping sustain bass populations at all.Looking foward to hearing everyones opinion on this and keeping an open mind to other opinions.
Interesting analogy - not sure I totally agree. BUT lets stop the commercial boys raping the seas at everybody else's expense and introduce daily quotas for everybody

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have to agree, great catch, but own personal opinion - would have been even better if he'd released them!

Can't help feeling everytime I release one (and I've released them all so far this season), that some commercials/netters are laughing up their wallets. Or some other angler just kills it.

great post Wilfo
same as i feel, law needs changing .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Henry Gilbey is not the editor of Sea Angler and would have no control over the publication of this story.

I think his tone was dead right, it is a massive shame that these fish were killed. I do take fish for the table but this is a bit extreme and they won't even take that great. Younger smaller fish taste better and are not as valuable as breeding fish.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Henry Gilbey is not the editor of Sea Angler and would have no control over the publication of this story.

I think his tone was dead right, it is a massive shame that these fish were killed. I do take fish for the table but this is a bit extreme and they won't even take that great. Younger smaller fish taste better and are not as valuable as breeding fish.

NO ones saying he does mate , all i know, if i felt so strongly about something i boycott it , not support it , and get paid for doing so .

Also , in the bass angler section this month (and he must have some say in how thats put together ) , there is at least 6 very large dead bass , on the grip and grins , times that by all the grip and grins , since this section of sea angler came out , and i wouldnt mind betting there has been a good 20 doubles killed , and a lot lot more getting up to that weight ,

o but thats ok , because they were spread out between loads of people when they were killed , not just one bloke ,,,, a big dead bass , is a big dead bass , it aint coming back , no matter who killed it , one bloke or 80 . :bangin::bangin:
come on get a grip ,,,, ( NO SORRY , DONT GET A GRIP , )

Met Henry a few times , great bloke ,good angler , hearts in the right place , and obviously cares about bass , but target the big boys first , get to the root of the problem ..

As was said , he must be in between the devil , and the deep blue sea

Ps , i have had plenty of bass doubles , and only 2 cod doubles ,

How come when someone takes a bumper catch of cod , and doubles , kills them all , its great ,

i love cod , why are they worth less in life than a bass ,

i know money wise there less , but im sure cod are getting rare

big cod are for sure , just a thought

10 dead double cod in a pic , your a hero , 4 dead double bass a villain

Weird in my eyes :doh:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

Release all the way for me,Catch of the century too right when will we see another ,,,next century??
So what are the laws in Ireland wilfo bit of one of those Irish myths too when you look behind the scenes,,I have lived there for a long time and my neighbour and friend is the bailiff for the south east so we do have a insight of what happens across the water,
However this countries syke is to kill kill kill even as bad as other European countries,,
We cannot start anywhere without even a quota for commercials on catches of Bass on line and nets in the uk,,having said that where is this thread going ,HG has to make a living and so does sea angler and I am afraid ,until as someone said ,the laws need sorting this rubbish will keep happening until it's the end of bass as it is already the end for the Cod!

Gee

·
Registered
350 Posts
Release all the way for me,Catch of the century too right when will we see another ,,,next century??
So what are the laws in Ireland wilfo bit of one of those Irish myths too when you look behind the scenes,,I have lived there for a long time and my neighbour and friend is the bailiff for the south east so we do have a insight of what happens across the water,
However this countries syke is to kill kill kill even as bad as other European countries,,
We cannot start anywhere without even a quota for commercials on catches of Bass on line and nets in the uk,,having said that where is this thread going ,HG has to make a living and so does sea angler and I am afraid ,until as someone said ,the laws need sorting this rubbish will keep happening until it's the end of bass as it is already the end for the Cod!

Gee
Sorry Gee, got to disagree, on the continent they take any fish regardless of size or even if they taste rubbish (Wrasse for soups!).

The attitude of the UK and Irish anglers is significantly better as a general rule. Where this is sometimes stretched is with big fish, these seem to be always kept.

Mark - I see your point but the difference with Cod is that they are quick growing and breed more effectively. Also the average size (including offshore) is much larger.

Tom

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
....week gone I had to enter a very large commercial fishing premises where fish is processed on work duties, obviously I cant name it but to see the shear amounts of fish on the conveyor belts puts rod line catches in perspective, it defies belief, 100s of tonnes landed then processed in a day sometimes, only thing more shocking was the stench.

Fishing is rife with hypocrasy, plenty of the todays saltwards of putem back can be found 20-30 years ago posing with mountains of dead fish in various books mags etc.

incidentally if Bycatch for trawlers becomes landable, undersize fish etc theres already a huge market making fish food fertilizer etc for farms, watch out if hugh manages this be total disaster, if the commercials are up for his ideas got to tell u something. when hes in plymo Im going to see him :wheelchai

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
got to say im a bit dissapointed in henrys response. 5 dead fish are five dead fish,shouldnt matter what species they are.if the bloke plans on eating them and dishing some out to family fine,not so good if he is flogging them.
the way the responses on here are developing it sounds as though the holier than thou catch and release attitude is coming through.remember its against forum policy to criticise people keeping fish.
someone has mentioned continentals keeping all fish even if they taste poor.maybe to us they taste poor,but others may think they are fine.
the fact someone was actually able to catch that amount of large bass in one day says there are plenty of them about.
and to the poster who reckons cod are in low numbers,he obviously doesnt fish for cod very often.the last few years have seen north sea numbers climbing at a fantastic rate ,there are now better numbers of mature fish around than for 20 years ago in some areas,and current natural conditions will ensure the numbers will continue climbing for the forseeable future.
cheers rab

·
Registered
14,739 Posts
down the road of it's all the" commercials fault" and the rest of the political stuff that is normally" discussed "(I use the term loosely!)in the C&P pages of this forum, should we not look closely at the tactics the guy used?I bet if the story had a different ending ie: All the huge fish caught were released, we would be saying what a great angling feat it was.
The use of groundbait in the sea is always a contentious subject and to prebait a swim for 2 weeks usually refers to carp fishing rather than sea fishing.Maybe we should be discussing how it can help us all catch better specimens of what ever species we are after.
Let's think back to thread Mark started about his approach to a new mark and how he actively seeks out areas where the dead/dying bait fish end up.
It seems fairly obvious to me the guy who caught these big fish knew his area well and just added to what nature already provided so the "big old lazy Bass" quickly learned that there was plenty of easy free grub in a specific area. We know that shark anglers use groundbait all the time (chumming) and I have used it to help catch Garfish on Chesil beach and also it is widely used in Guernsey for the same species.
So maybe the discussion should be about how can we use groundbait to attract our target fish into areas we cast out lures etc?
I will point out that I killed my PB Bass 8.5lbs and was very sad when I discovered it was full of eggs. I promised myself there and then should I ever catch another of a similar size or bigger it would be released!

·
Registered
790 Posts
incidentally if Bycatch for trawlers becomes landable, undersize fish etc theres already a huge market making fish food fertilizer etc for farms, watch out if hugh manages this be total disaster, if the commercials are up for his ideas got to tell u something. when hes in plymo Im going to see him :wheelchai
That is the most sensible thing I have read for years. HFW is a blithering idiot and is just about to mess up British fisheries even worse than they are to increase his own popularity.

I was shot down on his forum and FB page - bunch of idiots

Its very simple guys - stop destructive and non stainable fishing practices - its messing up a shared resource for us all. Personally anybody who does not kill and take fish they catch but buys any fish products commercially should be brought out and whipped with their rod (If its a red rod it'll survive) to within an inch of their life and have all their lures sold and forced to use 8 strand from this point forward.

I wouldn't have killed any of those bass and will likely never kill a huge bass for food but how can I get angry with him when commercials do so much more daily (including trashing the aquatic environment - lost nets, trawling and dredging)?

·
Registered
360 Posts
dont buy the mag these days , but did hear of this catch...........

to be honest weve all got our own views and opinions , we all decide what we do with our own fish ...........dont we , and whether its bass or a cod or pout we do with them what we see fit............

the bass catch in question is surely a session the angler will never forget :punk:

yes they could have been put back but werent, nothing will change that now , some comments, negative comments get born through jealousy, whenever a big fish is caught and kept somebody ,somewhere will always knock it ............it happens

each to their own ,

personally i think , fair play to the fella ............would be a bloke to talk to,knows his stuff by the looks of it !

if anything use a catch like this as an inspiration ? four doubles in a session is top ,top drawer, managed two over 11lb myself one memorable day ...............a buzz not forgotten easily

ps. if the capture had been of four 10lb plus cod the debate would have ended long ago

bass should be renamed trouble !:busted_co

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is a trigger worth less than a bass in life .

HEARD 25 GOT CAUGHT AND KILLED IN A RECENT CHESIL MATCH.

just for the weigh in , :sneaky2::wallbash::doh:

Can we take a moment , and shed a few tears , for these rare visiters ., to our shores :headhurt:

No , tears for trigs ,bream , cod , wrasse (for pot bait , ) conger, mullet etc etc ,

i love bass , prob more than most , but fish is a fish , a life is a life ,

There is far to many do gooders , preaching , when they really want to get in the real world , and see whats really going on ,
i see it nearly every time im out .

Rarely see anything go back , unless its under sized , or from the group im with :doh::bangin::wallbash:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Emotive subject this one, when you look where it leads..............I have caught, and returned, many cod - including doubles, I might add! Therefore, I can at least claim to be holding the moral high ground....NO I CAN’T!! Not if you are a pouting, a poor cod or a lugworm!! These were the baits that I used. Even if I have decided that cod should be held in higher regard than most other people seem to do, who is to say that a cod is worth more than a pouting or a lugworm? Surely, in God’s eyes, all creatures were created equal?

I, too, used to kill nearly everything that I caught but, in my defence of this carnage, it was never wasted – fish fed me, my family, my friends, my neighbours, even my dogs, my cat and that was my justification. Then, a dawning realisation took place.....there was not an endless supply of fish in the sea! I started returning fish; small ones, big ones and tasty ones; along with the not so tasty. My conscience was appeased. I suspect that many others have evolved the same way and feel the same appeasement. To be fair, you could draw many analogies with this ‘awakening’ where we (**** sapiens) have started to become aware of our impact upon the natural world; egg collecting, whale hunting and global warming to name but a few (I have never killed a whale, though!).

The commercial pursuit of bass is entirely legal, as is the rod and line capture of the same. The defining difference for most on here is THAT WE CARE ABOUT THE FISH WE CATCH and you cannot bring about any legislation to enforce that! Our pursuit is not driven by financial gain and by returning what we catch we at least believe in trying to contribute to the successful survival of the species. From my perspective, anyone killing five such sizeable bass cannot be concerned about the welfare of the species and it is this that is the overriding message that the story tells – not the undoubted skills applied. The fact that he spent a fortnight ground baiting only goes to make the crime premeditated.

Those who sell their catch are driven by the desire to make as much money as possible and we have seen enough examples of greed in the commercial fishing world to know that it will not stop until the last fish has been caught and sold! Harvesting the sea – I say b*ll*x!! What do these self-proclaimed nautical farmers ever do to manage their flocks?

How many people here look into the eye(s) of the fish they catch and wonder what that creature is thinking? I nearly always do and to see a creature looking helplessly back at me really does make me appreciate the true value of life. There is no concern for the welfare of any fish in the world of the commercial fisherman and to anyone about to knock a fish on the head just look deep into those eyes first. It is not crime to kill a fish but remember that life is the most precious thing.

Kes.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Emotive subject this one, when you look where it leads..............I have caught, and returned, many cod - including doubles, I might add! Therefore, I can at least claim to be holding the moral high ground....NO I CAN’T!! Not if you are a pouting, a poor cod or a lugworm!! These were the baits that I used. Even if I have decided that cod should be held in higher regard than most other people seem to do, who is to say that a cod is worth more than a pouting or a lugworm? Surely, in God’s eyes, all creatures were created equal?

I, too, used to kill nearly everything that I caught but, in my defence of this carnage, it was never wasted – fish fed me, my family, my friends, my neighbours, even my dogs, my cat and that was my justification. Then, a dawning realisation took place.....there was not an endless supply of fish in the sea! I started returning fish; small ones, big ones and tasty ones; along with the not so tasty. My conscience was appeased. I suspect that many others have evolved the same way and feel the same appeasement. To be fair, you could draw many analogies with this ‘awakening’ where we (**** sapiens) have started to become aware of our impact upon the natural world; egg collecting, whale hunting and global warming to name but a few (I have never killed a whale, though!).

The commercial pursuit of bass is entirely legal, as is the rod and line capture of the same. The defining difference for most on here is THAT WE CARE ABOUT THE FISH WE CATCH and you cannot bring about any legislation to enforce that! Our pursuit is not driven by financial gain and by returning what we catch we at least believe in trying to contribute to the successful survival of the species. From my perspective, anyone killing five such sizeable bass cannot be concerned about the welfare of the species and it is this that is the overriding message that the story tells – not the undoubted skills applied. The fact that he spent a fortnight ground baiting only goes to make the crime premeditated.

Those who sell their catch are driven by the desire to make as much money as possible and we have seen enough examples of greed in the commercial fishing world to know that it will not stop until the last fish has been caught and sold! Harvesting the sea – I say b*ll*x!! What do these self-proclaimed nautical farmers ever do to manage their flocks?

How many people here look into the eye(s) of the fish they catch and wonder what that creature is thinking? I nearly always do and to see a creature looking helplessly back at me really does make me appreciate the true value of life. There is no concern for the welfare of any fish in the world of the commercial fisherman and to anyone about to knock a fish on the head just look deep into those eyes first. It is not crime to kill a fish but remember that life is the most precious thing.

Kes.
if people really cared for the welfare of fish,we wouldnt stick hooks in them in the first place.any angler pontificating about the rights and wrongs of killing different species/size of fish is deluding himself and a hypocrite IMO.
anyone that is genuinely concerned in the welfare of fish would not stick hooks in them.
the " there isnt a never ending supply " argument is used by people that want to continue sticking hooks into fish,and would like commercials to catch less,so there is more and bigger for them to stick hooks into.
human nature,a not so wonderful thing.
cheers rab

1 - 20 of 131 Posts