World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for not posting on here for a while but aint got out much due to lots of work and being self employed as they say while the sun shines make hay ,i have done wick recently with a few small rays ,oh and had 14 lb conger recently , work winding down so lets hope for another good season on the codling .anyway ive jus got to post on here what i was told the other day by a good friend of mine who owns a restaurant in the vale . last weeek he was approached by to young men with a shed load of bass for sale .
being a keen fisherman himself he wanted to see their catch and what a cath it was he estimated around 40 to 50 bass all around the 1lb mark . he obviously told them where to go but playing them along enqiured to where they where caught .he was told abethaw the out falls theres ****in loads of them there . he declined politely ,that being his nature but called me as aberthaw is my main fishing ground being summer or winter .i am disgusted that this is still going on down there ive come to many ablows with ****in idiots over the years taking immature bass on the red gills down there over the years while ive beeen fishing or walking the dog there .we all know you can bag up on them down there but any true fisherman with a bit of scense knows all these fish should be returned .its also a nursery area . i know that the authorities cant be there 24/7 and fair dooos they where on top of it last year . jus thought i would post this allthough we all know it goes on down there . ive let the local authorities know whats going on down there buts lets be honest theyll never be bought to justice ,lets hope they dont bump into me next time im fishing or walking the dog as their dragging their haul up the beach as theyd have a bloody good hiding .

·
Registered
210 Posts
well done on bringing this to the forum m8, what realy discusting fools!

if we were pirates,then we could make um walk the plank

who is supposed to police these nursery area's?

·
TEAM FORESHORE
3,960 Posts
well done on bringing this to the forum m8, what realy discusting fools!

if we were pirates,then we could make um walk the plank!!

who is supposed to police these nursery area's?
isnt it supposed to be defra and for further use here's the number 08459335577

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is this a regular occurence or a one off and is there any way the-powers-that-be could make the Aberthaw Penstocks a no-go area..?

·
BASSIN ASSASSIN
2,636 Posts
happens up this way alot off monkstone point bass no bigger than 1ft being taken by the bag load, just hope that they have this :busted_co:busted_co:busted_co:busted_co nail them, because it cant keep going on,

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am with you guys all the way.

Couple of points I would like to make:

Ghostbusters: the powers that be have twenty fisheries officers to patrol the whole of the welsh coast line, I am not sure of the length of the Welsh coast but I think they will be pretty spaced out, and are on a hiding to nothing. Totally ineffective, lip service and a waste of money.

Benjoma: Defra has no say in what happens here in Wales hence, while the cretins at Defra raised the MLS for bass to 41cm in English waters (just below breeding size) the even bigger cretins at the Welsh Assembly Government still think taking bass of 37.5cm is just fine.

The message being sent is all wrong. If our national governments say that non-breeding bass at 41 or 37.5cm is ok then why not take 35cm or 30cm.
Let's get the national (including Wales and Scotland) MLS up to 45cm, and fine the b**t**ds that take undersized fish.
I recently put a proposal to a fisheries officer in Wales on this, but I think he missed my point. He was doing his job, and was not paid to think outside of the box.

Buzz

·
Registered
459 Posts
very sad that in this day and age this sort of thing still happens,I Seen it 20years ago down the thaw people filling carrier bags with undersized bass, thought things had changed alot from way back but it clearly hasn't,hope them people are reading these posts very sad people indeed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
sorry for not posting on here for a while but aint got out much due to lots of work and being self employed as they say while the sun shines make hay ,i have done wick recently with a few small rays ,oh and had 14 lb conger recently , work winding down so lets hope for another good season on the codling .anyway ive jus got to post on here what i was told the other day by a good friend of mine who owns a restaurant in the vale . last weeek he was approached by to young men with a shed load of bass for sale .
being a keen fisherman himself he wanted to see their catch and what a cath it was he estimated around 40 to 50 bass all around the 1lb mark . he obviously told them where to go but playing them along enqiured to where they where caught .he was told abethaw the out falls theres ****in loads of them there . he declined politely ,that being his nature but called me as aberthaw is my main fishing ground being summer or winter .i am disgusted that this is still going on down there ive come to many ablows with ****in idiots over the years taking immature bass on the red gills down there over the years while ive beeen fishing or walking the dog there .we all know you can bag up on them down there but any true fisherman with a bit of scense knows all these fish should be returned .its also a nursery area . i know that the authorities cant be there 24/7 and fair dooos they where on top of it last year . jus thought i would post this allthough we all know it goes on down there . ive let the local authorities know whats going on down there buts lets be honest theyll never be bought to justice ,lets hope they dont bump into me next time im fishing or walking the dog as their dragging their haul up the beach as theyd have a bloody good hiding .
cefn sidan netters have been doing this for decades!
so have local and visiting anglers,if they think its big enough to eat then they will take it!!

a guy i know to nod at on the beach come over to me few years ago said he had arthritis in fingers:wheelchai and would i take a schoolie of his "rusty" hook,i took it off carefully he said thanks and instead of walking to tide line and letting it go he threw it in his bait bucket,i walked over took the fish and put it back in the sea,he did not talk to me ever again haha! always say something to someone taking undersize fish,their either ignorant or sometimes greedy,but most of time just THICK!!!!:sneaky2:

·
Registered
210 Posts
cefn sidan netters have been doing this for decades!
so have local and visiting anglers,if they think its big enough to eat then they will take it!!

a guy i know to nod at on the beach come over to me few years ago said he had arthritis in fingers:wheelchai and would i take a schoolie of his "rusty" hook,i took it off carefully he said thanks and instead of walking to tide line and letting it go he threw it in his bait bucket,i walked over took the fish and put it back in the sea,he did not talk to me ever again haha! always say something to someone taking undersize fish,their either ignorant or sometimes greedy,but most of time just THICK!!!!:sneaky2:
LOL geoff,ive seen you helping the kids on one hand but also chopsin to baby fish takers:doh:looking forward to tmoz m8 il be up early this time

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
What these berks don,t realize ,whether it be taking immature fish,bagging up or killing and throwing back ie doggies is that we could end up with an inshore fishery like the MEDITERANEAN add to this the commercials hammering tthe inshore area too . The issue of rod licences and stronger policing of the commercials (legal and non legal) raises it,s head again. Unfortunately we as anglers have to be the eyes and ears and help them do their job. Allways phone it in ,they will follow up ,as thinly stretched as they are. They are on our side,help them to help us.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This sort of behaviour really makes your blood boil. All year long a mate and I have returned all our bass except one fish. Probably released about 40 or 50 between us, some up to around the 3lb mark.

Then in one fell swoop two idiots wander down to the nursery and take a chunk out of the future breeding stock. Iv'e never seen it personally but won't let it go unchallenged.

If anyone out there ever wonders why they should bother conserving fish stocks then this is it. If we were all like said people, there would be no fish left for anyone.

Fortunately, some of us (not enough) are aware of the consequences of our actions for the benefit of all.

Thanks for posting

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Was going to keep my mouth shut on this one, but think I better let you all know the "real" facts on the matter.
Firstly, there were three lads catching the fish that day, not two
Secondly, yes they did take 40 odd bass, but from a quick glance at the "haul", I can categorically state that, as far as I could see, NEARLY all the fish were insize. I did notice 3 or 4 fish which, I would say, were borderline in terms of size, but they were certainly NOT "all around the 1lb mark", as suggested in the original post
Thirdly, as long as the fish are insize (as at least the vast majority were in this case, though I admit, there were only a few I would personally have taken).....then the lads were perfectly within their rights to take them. The fact that the area is a bass nursery area has little legal meaning or relevance to a rod and line angler at the water's edge. What the lads decided to do with the fish was up to them, but as such, they must also face any consequences of taking any undersized fish.....if that were the case.

Now, although we all come on here sometimes and play keyboard warriors, saying things like "it wouldve come to blows if i'd seen it happen"....and "i'd have given them a right peace of my mind" etc etc etc.......in reality, I doubt anyone fishing on their own would have said anything whatsoever. There were three lads, all fit and young (early-mid 20s), and although I did disagree with some of their angling practices, putting myself in danger of a pasting by opening my gob to try n save a few fish....well, it just aint gonna happen.

As mentioned earlier, these points are not my opinion, they are fact....I was there, fishing next to (but not with) them.

PS: they also put back ALOT of fish

·
Registered
149 Posts
one of my mates wittness it the other week.. with the same happen a guy buying the small bass out the back of there van down there.. a.....es like these ,its down to greed and money.. makes you think of having a anglers army to inforce and stop these's acts...maybe its worth taking a reg and post it on the web

·
Team S.R.A.
331 Posts
Was going to keep my mouth shut on this one, but think I better let you all know the "real" facts on the matter.
Firstly, there were three lads catching the fish that day, not two
Secondly, yes they did take 40 odd bass, but from a quick glance at the "haul", I can categorically state that, as far as I could see, NEARLY all the fish were insize. I did notice 3 or 4 fish which, I would say, were borderline in terms of size, but they were certainly NOT "all around the 1lb mark", as suggested in the original post
Thirdly, as long as the fish are insize (as at least the vast majority were in this case, though I admit, there were only a few I would personally have taken).....then the lads were perfectly within their rights to take them. The fact that the area is a bass nursery area has little legal meaning or relevance to a rod and line angler at the water's edge. What the lads decided to do with the fish was up to them, but as such, they must also face any consequences of taking any undersized fish.....if that were the case.

Now, although we all come on here sometimes and play keyboard warriors, saying things like "it wouldve come to blows if i'd seen it happen"....and "i'd have given them a right peace of my mind" etc etc etc.......in reality, I doubt anyone fishing on their own would have said anything whatsoever. There were three lads, all fit and young (early-mid 20s), and although I did disagree with some of their angling practices, putting myself in danger of a pasting by opening my gob to try n save a few fish....well, it just aint gonna happen.

As mentioned earlier, these points are not my opinion, they are fact....I was there, fishing next to (but not with) them.

PS: they also put back ALOT of fish
40 insize bass from that mark i dont think so i use to fish there just for fun but after witnessing loads and loads of undersize bass getting caught and killed i dont bother they must of had an irish tape measure lol :busted_co

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
40 insize bass from that mark i dont think so i use to fish there just for fun but after witnessing loads and loads of undersize bass getting caught and killed i dont bother they must of had an irish tape measure lol :busted_co
I know what I saw.
Between 3 of them, over a small tide, it aint too difficult to catch that many.remember theyre spinning with redgills, so a cast every cpl minutes, a small tide will give you 4 hours on there, so taking into account that they only need to catch 13 or 14 insize(or v near insize)fish each, it's not that hard to do if the conditions are right

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fact that the area is a bass nursery area has little legal meaning or relevance to a rod and line angler at the water's edge.
Then the law needs to be changed to protect the fish.

Thirdly, as long as the fish are insize
Clearly they were not all in size.

then the lads were perfectly within their rights to take them
for their own consumption yes, however, they were trying to sell them on the black market which makes them commercial fishermen (of sorts).

I have always been against regulation and have no problem with anglers taking fish for the table. However, that requires people to exercise common sense and behave reponsibly. Stories like this make me think a rod license might not be such a bad idea after all :wallbash:

·
Sole Man!
1,664 Posts
There's a very fine line between fishing for pleasure which I think we all do & fishing for profit.
I would assume that if you hoik 40 fish of any description out & sell them you are effectively acting as a commercial fisherman & I'm sure there must be licences which need to be purchased etc.
brolly

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Then the law needs to be changed to protect the fish.

Clearly they were not all in size.

for their own consumption yes, however, they were trying to sell them on the black market which makes them commercial fishermen (of sorts).

I have always been against regulation and have no problem with anglers taking fish for the table. However, that requires people to exercise common sense and behave reponsibly. Stories like this make me think a rod license might not be such a bad idea after all :wallbash:
Hmmm, seems to me that you think I'm condoning their actions. I'm not in any way, I'm just telling the tale from an eye witnesses viewpoint, saying what I saw, and where things stand (to my understanding) legally.
There were no CLEARLY undersized fish. In my first post on this thread I did say that a few fish looked "borderline" insize. This is alot different to "clearly" undersized. I have a few years experience of fishing, and a few more years experience as a fishmonger, and I'm a pretty good judge of sizes and/or weights.
And, just for the record, I also believe that in some ways a rod licensing would be a good thing.

·
BSAC
696 Posts
lol Rod licensing, dont make me laugh :) it isnt going to happen

And as for threatening behavior or anything else, that sort of attitude will land you in trouble with the police and with a nice record or warning.

People shouldnt be taking small fish of any species especially if they are a species seen to be in decline, BUT it happens everywhere and all over the world.
And what is done about it? very little.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts