World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only ever caught one bass, I was 14, took a ragworm on South Parade pier in Portsmouth.

I moved to North Wales a few months ago. Had a few whiting and doggies over the winter, but no bass. Over the past couple of weeks a couple of locals have been hammering them on lures at a particular spot. Catches of up to 16 in a session up to over 9 pounds. Needs a boat or kayak. Fortunately, I have the latter. Went out there this morning on a rising tide. I fished it hard for 3 hours with a selection of shallow divers and soft plastics. Tried the shallower areas over rocks with a decent tide run over them, the slightly deeper channels and shallower sandbanks....not a touch. Meanwhile an inflatable with 2 (Polish I think) anglers on board had half a dozen.

Keep trying I guess.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If you moved up a few months ago you are literally on the brink of bass heaven - currently you can catch for sure and I have only had one blank so far, but specific spots/tides, after this coming week is may new moon and assuming we get warm weather it should kick off everywhere - where about in North Wales are you?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only thing you are missing now is time and experience. It'll seem in a few years that you'll wonder how you ever didnt catch them.

The thing that always sticks with me is the rule of 20/80. 20 percent of actions affects 80percent of results. They're obviously there, so good luck on beating the hoodoo.... then you get to look forward to the "so where are all the big bass?" question that inevitably comes after.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The only thing you are missing now is time and experience. It'll seem in a few years that you'll wonder how you ever didnt catch them.

The thing that always sticks with me is the rule of 20/80. 20 percent of actions affects 80percent of results. They're obviously there, so good luck on beating the hoodoo.... then you get to look forward to the "so where are all the big bass?" question that inevitably comes after.
yup -10 years ago I caught 3 in a season, fishing weekly, eventually I would hit 100 constantly and once hit that many in 4 nights!

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Keep trying Ricco and you'll get there in the end (y) .

As you can see from my signature below, I was once like Gregsie and I only caught 3 bass in my first season on the lures, but with sheer bloody mindedness I kept on trying and gradually I got the hang of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you moved up a few months ago you are literally on the brink of bass heaven - currently you can catch for sure and I have only had one blank so far, but specific spots/tides, after this coming week is may new moon and assuming we get warm weather it should kick off everywhere - where about in North Wales are you?
Cheers, I'm in Barmouth. Plenty to go at here with the estuary, beach and some rocky areas nearby.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are a few around the Barmouth area at the moment. Maybe try a bit of experimenting on different tides, different lures, different spots etc until you find something that works. I've been doing quite well recently on the bigger evening tides with surface lures when the wind's not too strong.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ricco get yourself some savage gear sandeels,cast accoss the current,upstream and even downstream of the current,sink and draw them,vary your retreive,and work the depths with them,to see what works and by the end of the summer,you would have caught more bass,than you could shake a shitty stick at,especially if you have a kayak,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts