World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking to get a bit of a stock of 4mm or 6mm soft hook pellets..

However, I have read lots of different reports on many of the main brands.. all saying good n bad about them.. :wallbash: So I need the word from the men (and women) on the river or lake bank ;)

I have tried Dynamite Baits Soft Hook Halibut Pellets, but they seem far, far too soft? Even on a whip/pole with a very gentle cast.. the baits flies off.. I have tried the tips and tricks of the internet, i.e. microwave them, freeze them, leaving them to dry on an old teatowel/kitchen roll.. but they still remain far to soft.. :confused:

The whole reason for this is, I have this guy (a wheelchiar user) who can't use a normal rod with any easy.. to clear the chair, his arms are above his shoulders.. and the cast goes off into the trees... I lose floats, weights, line etc.. he loses his indepenace.. etc.., etc..,

So these 3 or 4mtr whips/poles are great.. (as with the other guy I help go fishing) he can cast with a gentle flick and get out up to 6mtrs and catch.. But in this case, maggots are far to small for his fingers.. pop-ups and boillies are to big (and round).. but hard 4mm / 6mm pre-drilled he can handle.. However, a soft hook bait would be quicker for him to reload (bait-up) and get back out there.. as hair rigging a hard small pellet is fiddely for him also.. and can take to long to keep the swim baited and fed.. (we have also tied different sizes of pre-drilled hard pellet, but the hair rig side is the problem.. )

I don't want to remove the art of fishing by doing the baiting up for him, I really need to give him as much control over the whole process I can.. so he can really say "I Caught This" without having to admit I baited or cast-out for him.. :thumbs:

Thanks for any advice.. and tight lines

Bodders
P.S. He does OK on bits of Lunchen meat.. but I am looking for a back-up bait or a cheapr option, Dynamite Baits Soft Hook Pellets are about £3quid for .5kg but are NBG... :blahblah:

·
Registered
281 Posts
what about rig rings, i seem to remember these being like something you screw/push into the boilie and thats it !! it's attached to your hair rig, you simply push it into the hook bait and recast .......hope i'm not wrong about this

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
what about rig rings, i seem to remember these being like something you screw/push into the boilie and thats it !! it's attached to your hair rig, you simply push it into the hook bait and recast .......hope i'm not wrong about this
Spot on made by rigmarole and are attached usind a d rig theres also a batch that has come in from China on the bay of e that are slightly cheaper but a tad on the shiny side for my liking, what happens though when the bait goes soft (apart from re-bait)?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spot on made by rigmarole and are attached usind a d rig theres also a batch that has come in from China on the bay of e that are slightly cheaper but a tad on the shiny side for my liking, what happens though when the bait goes soft (apart from re-bait)?

Not seen these? Are they any good?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
if its the hair stop thats the fiddly bit you can use a much longer loop as the hair and lassoo the bait with the loop.

just thread the bait on and fold back the loop over the bait.

no need for a stop at all then and i find it more secure with pellets than using a boilie stop.

·
Registered
12,482 Posts
IF your guys are fishing with whips I am guessing that the fish are not huge. Have you tried using banded Hard pellets as hookbait? If you have any questions regarding pellet fishing please feel free to send me a pm. BTW i have experience of taking Disabled people fishing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Can`t believe I didn`t suggest this earlier:wallbash:How about fishing an enterprise fake pellet over the top of a load of real pellet...to be honest i`ve forgotten what the original question was.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
IF your guys are fishing with whips I am guessing that the fish are not huge. Have you tried using banded Hard pellets as hookbait? If you have any questions regarding pellet fishing please feel free to send me a pm. BTW i have experience of taking Disabled people fishing.
hi guys,as nick says hard banded pellets are vgood,but what do you mean whips? Are they elasticated or flick tip? The only reason I ask is because pellets do catch all size of fish and you are using some sort of elastic for the lumps that are by your feet, but as for soft pellets, you cant go far wrong with ringers new generation ,in 4mm, 6mm and a good pump. The trick to make them tough is to add gelatin powder form from the supermarket,which you desolve in warm water with flavours of your choice,then add to the pump after two pellet drops drain, pop in a bag ,slight sqeeze and pop it in the fridge overnight. The following morning ,the pellets will be tough and stay on the hook and all sink. Failing that sunubaits do good ready made soft pellets F1, flavour are good and stay on the hook even on the waggler. Please feel free to pm Nick or myself.
Hope this helps.:clap3::fishing1: tightlines

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No worries but I think it was Happy Piker that suggested it, i just supplied the supplier, hope it works though for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

Wow thanks for all the ideas.. and the offers to PM you.. :thumbs:

Basically, he has a degenerative muscle disease, similar to a very aggressive Rheumatoid arthritis.. which makes handling small items (or round, slippy bait) almost impossible.

He is using a 5mtr whip (not elasticated) with a float rig, end to end another 5mtrs.. and can get out around 8mtrs from the bank.. and a “put in” elasticated pole of 7mtrs, with again a float rig, for going around the margins. We are still in the playing around stage, but he is catching fish of all sizes, so I guess these whips/poles are the way to go for him… But a borrowed 12mtr elasticated pole was just a bit to heavy for him to handle solo.. My gut reaction is the whip, but at the end of the day it is his choice..

I liked the soft hook bait idea, as he can use a small pair of long nose pliers to hold the the very small hooks (or fingers on the larger hooks), and just slip it in the hook bait while it is still in the tub.. but as I said, they are just to soft.. and fall or fly off with hardly any movement..

I have been setting up small pop-ups and small bollies on hair-rigs so he can just swop over as and when by the quick clip (on the pole setup)... :thumbs:

Personally I have never had much luck with the fake pellets, maggots or the like, but I will give that a try again, just in case he has better luck..

I am fishing with him again on Sunday, so I think I will be off to the tackle shop and supermarket tomorrow, to get a pump, gelatine and so fake pellets.. and probably a bait bander and bands.. and see what works for him… I got a large tub of mixed size hard pellets..

Will let you know how I get on.. ;)

:thumbs: Thanks again :thumbs:
Tight lines and good :fishing1:

Bodders

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Just a tip on how I use an 8mm pellet.When you do a knotless knot hair rig....instead of making a loop for the bait tie a very small bait band to the end of your line.Then put the hook on in the usual way (put the line through the eye wind the line around the hook below the eye about 8 times and then thread the line through the eye the opposite way.)Get an 8mm pellet ...get a serregated knife and score a groove around the centre of the pellet,this will make it stay better on the bait band.You will find this a killer method...if you are still unsure pm me your address and I will send you a trace set up. Pete.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All,

Well after a lot of fiddling about (in the Rain as well), we did get to a solution..

Bore rings Great, but took sometime for him to load up...
Bait Bands.. a bit to fiddly, and hard for him to control...
Bait pumping the pellets, just made them even more soft and crumbly...
Pellet Wires.. the same as bait bands..

:yeah:Fake Pellets/Maggots/etc.. Worked OK-ish.. had several takes, an quiet good fish too..
Pellets pumped and fixed with gelatine.. 100%
Also I got a different brand of hook pellet, which was a bit more solid in it's makeup..
:yeah:

So we got there in the end, Thanks all for all your input.. :thumbs:

He is now almost self-sufficient in the baiting up department, just gotta get him that big fish on the hook ;)

Tight lines

Bodders

1,021 Posts
Thought this may be of use. Posted in another thread by my self a few months ago but there are other ways to make them but this is my prefered method.
First you will need a pellet pump and some gelatine, the gelatine is optional but i find is makes the pellet firm enough to stay on the hook. Boil the kettle and disolve the gelatine accoring to the instructions but put a little more gelatine in than needed and wait for the mixture to cool til luke warm before using.
Place about half a mug of pellets in the pump and cover well with the gelatine mix.
Soak for two minutes before pumping til they all sink. May need to repeat the pumping process.
You could flavour the mix before pumping but i dont, I put about 2 tea spoons of my required flavouring in a food bag, and after draining the pellets for about ten seconds pour them in.
Blow the bag up with air and shake to coat all the pellets then expell most of the air leaving a little room for expansion and place in fridge for gelatine to set, idealy over night.
Perfect hookable pellets every time and can use this method for any size but i mainly use 6mm and occasionally 4mm.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought this may be of use. Posted in another thread by my self a few months ago but there are other ways to make them but this is my prefered method.
First you will need a pellet pump and some gelatine, the gelatine is optional but i find is makes the pellet firm enough to stay on the hook. Boil the kettle and disolve the gelatine accoring to the instructions but put a little more gelatine in than needed and wait for the mixture to cool til luke warm before using.
Place about half a mug of pellets in the pump and cover well with the gelatine mix.
Soak for two minutes before pumping til they all sink. May need to repeat the pumping process.
You could flavour the mix before pumping but i dont, I put about 2 tea spoons of my required flavouring in a food bag, and after draining the pellets for about ten seconds pour them in.
Blow the bag up with air and shake to coat all the pellets then expell most of the air leaving a little room for expansion and place in fridge for gelatine to set, idealy over night.
Perfect hookable pellets every time and can use this method for any size but i mainly use 6mm and occasionally 4mm.
Thanks dirtylittlerockling :thumbs:
I may not of put enough Gelatine in when I tried it, I was a bit worried about getting a lump of stick together bait after it cooled off.. will have another bash at it and experiement a little.. ;)

Cheers and Tight lines

Bodders

1,021 Posts
It will depend on what pellet you use as to how they react but most will respond to this method. Once set they will need a shake in the bag to seperate and remember whichever pellet you use remember to strain them well before bagging for fridge. The cleaner cut the pellet the better it will present on the hook!
PS have a look at the pellet banding tool for your friend he may find it useful

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you thought about fishing with a whip close in with a float rig that has a knotless knot and a lassoed pellet on it. Feed every now and then and watch the results

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you thought about fishing with a whip close in with a float rig that has a knotless knot and a lassoed pellet on it. Feed every now and then and watch the results
Cheers Robertlure, I'll give that a go with one of the lads.. :thumbs:

If you want a laugh... watch this.. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts