World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a weekend. Friday night was spent down the Helford using baits consisting of squid, mackeral and sandeel. Spent several hours down there for just one dogfish. Huge moon and a big tide but very peaceful indeed.

Saturday saw an afternoon into night session at Penberth using peeler crab, mackeral, sandeel and squid. Tried for the elusive garfish but yep you've guessed it - nothing doing, only a multitude of 6 oz pollack on the float. My partner Mr had a few wrasse. Stayed into the night until low water and Mr caught a few rockling to about 1lb 8oz, I had my obligatory same-size-as-usual conger of 6 - 8lbs. I wonder if that blighter follows me round from mark to mark as I always seem to catch just the one conger of the same size each rough ground session.

Left at low water deciding to have an easier day on Sunday with a mulleting session. Sunday morning sees Mr mixing up a huge concoction of mackeral, mashed bread, pilchard oil, bran, boiled fish etc etc and off we went "on the mullet."

Arrived at the mark and in went the groundbait (I give Mr all the good jobs lol) and away we went. All well and good with plenty of fish showing. Not so good when I realised they were all smaller than my Penberth pollack. Hmmm ...now what? Both of us were exhausted from Fri and Sat night and it was a case of go home to sleep or drive 20 miles to another mark to fish the flood when we normally fish the ebb at that mark.

20 miles later and we arrive at the mark. Looked over the edge and there were 50 -60 golden grey mullet about in water no more than a foot deep. Thinking it was too shallow to groundbait for fear of splashing and spooking the fish i just cast in as gently as i could. First cast saw me catch a fish and Mr running for the net. No sooner had I cast out again then I had my second fish and third cast saw a third fish. Then all of a sudden all the fish were gone.

We moved to yet another mark and Mr finally caught a few mullet and a bass. I am delighted to say that my biggest "goldie" was 1lb 10oz and it won me 3rd place in the Peter Collins Memorial competition.

All those hours stomping across fields, clambering across rocks, trying to pull leads out of the bottom and i get out of the car and score a 5 minute hat-trick! :yeah:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
wicked CG and well done you deserve it:victory::1a:..... I might go on a mullet hunt today,:fishing1: i saw some lovely ones yesterday, weather not too good:cold: but hey ho what the hell, if you dont get out you dont catch!!

Thanks for my blanking session on saturday, even tho i didnt catch i had loveley evening and had the best nights (days!) sleep, i have had in long while lol I might suggest to the doctor to prescribe a night fishing session to all his patients who suffer from insomnia lol

hope to ctch up with you soon, well done again on you 3rd place...wicked!!!

lynnie
xxx

oh by the way, your little critter from the deep on sat night looks like it may have been a hermit crab with an anenomea(spelling?) attched to it:crazy::victory:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Now that's hardcore fishing.Well done on the mullet.:victory:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well done Emma....congrats on your 3rd prize in the competition! Makes all the effort seem worthwhile! :1a::thumbs:

·
Registered
706 Posts
We moved to yet another mark and Mr finally caught a few mullet and a bass. I am delighted to say that my biggest "goldie" was 1lb 10oz and it won me 3rd place in the Peter Collins Memorial competition.
What else was weighed on the Peter Collins comp?

I'm glad I didn't sign on now - the open coast just seemed to be completely dead yesterday!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shore Results

( Approx weights)

1st Bass 7lb 7 oz

2nd 3 B Rockling 2lb 3oz

3rd G G Mullet 1lb 10 oz

4th Thk lip Mullet 3lb 8oz

Something like that anyway, weights are approximate and only FOUR fish were weighed in on the shore section.

42 anglers entered

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
42 entered and you came 3rd? :clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::notworthy:notworthy:clap3::clap3:

WELL DONE M8 THAT'S AN EXCELLENT RESULT

sooo chuffed for you

Lynnie
xx

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
What a weekend. Friday night was spent down the Helford using baits consisting of squid, mackeral and sandeel. Spent several hours down there for just one dogfish. Huge moon and a big tide but very peaceful indeed.

Saturday saw an afternoon into night session at Penberth using peeler crab, mackeral, sandeel and squid. Tried for the elusive garfish but yep you've guessed it - nothing doing, only a multitude of 6 oz pollack on the float. My partner Mr had a few wrasse. Stayed into the night until low water and Mr caught a few rockling to about 1lb 8oz, I had my obligatory same-size-as-usual conger of 6 - 8lbs. I wonder if that blighter follows me round from mark to mark as I always seem to catch just the one conger of the same size each rough ground session.

Left at low water deciding to have an easier day on Sunday with a mulleting session. Sunday morning sees Mr mixing up a huge concoction of mackeral, mashed bread, pilchard oil, bran, boiled fish etc etc and off we went "on the mullet."

Arrived at the mark and in went the groundbait (I give Mr all the good jobs lol) and away we went. All well and good with plenty of fish showing. Not so good when I realised they were all smaller than my Penberth pollack. Hmmm ...now what? Both of us were exhausted from Fri and Sat night and it was a case of go home to sleep or drive 20 miles to another mark to fish the flood when we normally fish the ebb at that mark.

20 miles later and we arrive at the mark. Looked over the edge and there were 50 -60 golden grey mullet about in water no more than a foot deep. Thinking it was too shallow to groundbait for fear of splashing and spooking the fish i just cast in as gently as i could. First cast saw me catch a fish and Mr running for the net. No sooner had I cast out again then I had my second fish and third cast saw a third fish. Then all of a sudden all the fish were gone.

All those hours stomping across fields, clambering across rocks, trying to pull leads out of the bottom and i get out of the car and score a 5 minute hat-trick! :yeah:

fantastic report cornishgirl , and well done on the 3rd place :clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well done Cornish Girl, makes all the effort worth while:clap2: Its really good to see good keen female anglers mixing it with the best locals:yeah:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts