World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought my last reel from flea bay a penn 525 mag for a start it wasnt the one in the pic this one was scraped to buggery i think the magnets are missing also when im reeling in if the lead gets snagged on anything the handle turns but the barrel wont also does the same if i put my thumb on the barrel and turn the handle is there any sites i can look at to find out if anything is missing from now on i buy brand new with a years guarantee

·
Registered
213 Posts
Concerning the problem that your reel spool does not turn on snags and when under pressure.Are you certain that the drag is tightend if so the drag washers may have been contaminated with oil or somthing similar just a thought:unsure:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thats unlucky mate, i have yet touchwood ever had the displeasure of being ripped off on ebay. I would try contact the seller perhaps and see if you can get a refund. If they wont refund then i would take it to my local Penn stockists and ask them to take a look. PM Gary or David Caulfield they may be able to supply you a schematic diagram of the reel or diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Concerning the problem that your reel spool does not turn on snags and when under pressure.Are you certain that the drag is tightend if so the drag washers may have been contaminated with oil or somthing similar just a thought:unsure:
dont know if that was the problem but i stripped the whole reel down oiled and greased it it was mankey with salt and sand and put it together again now it works fine but the magnet side seems empty what do the magnets look like i know i sound stupid but i have just started using multipliers other than boat fishing in 30 years and it is all new especialy slosh and mag reels

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The black plastic holder will have little round bits on metal in them, these sre the magnets. They aren't stuck to the spool because they've fallen out are they?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The black plastic holder will have little round bits on metal in them, these sre the magnets. They aren't stuck to the spool because they've fallen out are they?
yep they are all there didnt realise theys where so small looks like the reel only needed a good clean and now ive done that i might get my moneys worth till i buy one brand new thanks ads tell you what though ive took many an old multiplier apart through the years but theres no much to these.

·
Registered
477 Posts
yep they are all there didnt realise theys where so small looks like the reel only needed a good clean and now ive done that i might get my moneys worth till i buy one brand new thanks ads tell you what though ive took many an old multiplier apart through the years but theres no much to these.
Glad you got it sorted - for future, and for everyone else who is looking, schematics

http://www.pennfishing.com/products_and_services/parts_and_servicing/

Oh, and on the "no much to these", we tend to follow the K.I.S.S. rules - Keep It Simple Stupid - and just over engineer the bits we do make ;)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
This has happend to one of my 525's before. can any one tell me whaere the drag washers are for futre reference? i cant find em on Davids link
http://www.pennfishing.com/products_...and_servicing/
Was my fault i think i was over doing the oiling lol

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you got it sorted - for future, and for everyone else who is looking, schematics

http://www.pennfishing.com/products_and_services/parts_and_servicing/

Oh, and on the "no much to these", we tend to follow the K.I.S.S. rules - Keep It Simple Stupid - and just over engineer the bits we do make ;)
thanks for the link with info mate "no much to these" wasnt a dig at the product i was just surprised at the performance of the reel then you open it up and its no full of cogs and springs and complications its a bit of a relief actualy to have a reel thats simple to service yourself i should have got one of these years ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts