World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 535 off fb and I like it and been using where I didnt need any distance. Now I do but it is too fast. The plus and - knob on the side seems to do nothing. Not sure if it is missing some thing? Also not 100% which 535 it is
Any pointers welcome thank you
Automotive tire Rim Gas Steering part Circle

Watch Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Camera lens Bicycle tire Coil

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Ti's a 535mag, early 90s, I think? Looks just like mine. Sounds like a prob with the mag adjuster. I've never had any trouble with mine, all gears are stainless, and it only gets used for congers now, where I need strong line, a strong drag and winding power. I used it for tope until braid gave me the line capacity on a 525. Check the magnet is moving freely in and out with the adjuster and is the spool still alloy or changed for a standard 535 one (plastic). It's never been a casting machine, but copes with huge baits and a 7oz lead, no problem.

·
Registered
481 Posts
See this regarding magnetic force on spools not made of steel, all to do with magnetic force created by the spinning spool, your spool is aluminium and as you say will be the same as your others. Does your magnet move much when you twist the knob?

A spinning spool, with a conducting metal in close proximity to fixed magnets, will create a disturbance in the magnetic field(s) of the fixed magnets, and this disturbance is called an "Eddy Current". It won't work with graphite or plastic spools - only spools that can conduct electricity. If you have a plastic or graphite spool in your reel, you can add a disc of aluminum or copper on the end nearest the magnet(s) and it will work.

This article may help, click on the pictures as a guide.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info folks i took it apart this morning and lubed up a bit with smidge of grease and now the adjuster works the nob under the drag and I can slow it down :) Quite chuffed because it works a charm other than the speed issue

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
See this regarding magnetic force on spools not made of steel, all to do with magnetic force created by the spinning spool, your spool is aluminium and as you say will be the same as your others. Does your magnet move much when you twist the knob?

A spinning spool, with a conducting metal in close proximity to fixed magnets, will create a disturbance in the magnetic field(s) of the fixed magnets, and this disturbance is called an "Eddy Current". It won't work with graphite or plastic spools - only spools that can conduct electricity. If you have a plastic or graphite spool in your reel, you can add a disc of aluminum or copper on the end nearest the magnet(s) and it will work.

This article may help, click on the pictures as a guide.

The spool looks like it's made of plastic material!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi yes the magnet does screw in and out ok. But I guess if my spool is not made of metal it does nothing. But at least after cleaning the other knob does slow it down but even that is tightened right down. It would be nice to get the magnet going. I will look on ebay for a spool

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
The 'other knob' will be the spool end float and will bend the spool shaft/wreck bearings etc if tightened right down. This should be adjusted to give just a small ammount of sideways play in the spool. As I said earlier, heavy gear oil (such as EP90) in the bearings will slow up the reel. I don't quite understand a 535mag being too fast apart from the end of the cast (when the big, line filled, spool is really spinning), where a brush with the thumb will kill the excess speed. On full mags mine can be cast as hard as you like with a mackerel flapper and 7oz lead, but you'll only get about 60yds. All those heavy/strong components cost a lot in performance, but will winch in a big conger with the drag locked!

·
Registered
481 Posts
The spool looks like it's made of plastic material!
So does this one but it's not plastic on the original. The ebay seller may have swapped it out but I don't think they ever had plastic spools, graphite is conductive and will create an electro magnetic force when spun hence how the magnet disrupts the flow and slows the spool. Penn 535 GS (Graphite spool?). Anyway as said in another reply a thick oil should help.
Watch Analog watch Clock Automotive lighting Nickel

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I just watched a youtube video on a reel setup and it looks like the magnet acts on the axel of the spool not the spool its self. Is this right ?
No the magnet works on induction by creating an electrical field as spool spins which the eddying current slows the spool as draws on it.
If they had swapped end plate you'd have the bar that brake blocks slide on in the way as GS end plate has a braking ring.
Spools are the same apart from the bar across end of spindle and never had plastic spools plus they are an handful if spools brimmed!
But they will cast ok if you have a good casting style that is smooth and best to keep aim high on cast.
but if just doing an overhead thump won't be so good!.
They like a good OTG/Pendulum so rods got a bend early so gets it spinning smoothly and constantly no jerky as a lot of rotating mass there.
Work well on .40 plus what have on mine with braided leaders used on Dover Admiralty and great in deep water so can deal with reel and good on retrieve

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Clean and oil the bearings, reassemble and fill the reel with line- Note: the more line on the reel the heavier the spool will be, the magnets will also have less effect on breaking the reel.
Also thinner line will mean the line level drops slower again requiring more mag breaking.

Once you have filled the reel spin it up, for fishing ideally your looking at a spin time of around 8-10 seconds, any faster and you are likely to get birdsnests.

As has been said don't over tighten the spool end float adjuster, the spool should be free running and you should have a slight bit of side to side play, probably less than 0.5mm

Ideal line on a 535 is 20-40lb line, something thickish 0.4mm and above, anything lighter really will require lots of mag breaking to prevent a birdsnest.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Clean and oil the bearings, reassemble and fill the reel with line- Note: the more line on the reel the heavier the spool will be, the magnets will also have less effect on breaking the reel.
Also thinner line will mean the line level drops slower again requiring more mag breaking.

Once you have filled the reel spin it up, for fishing ideally your looking at a spin time of around 8-10 seconds, any faster

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Sorted now glued a washer on the inside stuck couple magnets on it and no signs of over run and I can let rip. It is not a distance reel but nice to tame it
Not quite sure what your doing casting as mine all run on TSF321 oil which is like yellow rocket oil as find slow but they don't like a jerky/non smooth cast as once spinning more inertia to control

1 - 20 of 21 Posts