World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would a 5500 be ok for use with flatties and bream of the shore?? with a 2/4oz rod?

Jamie

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wicked, nice one, i will get it then!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah you can get a Abu One5000 or a red 5000 for about £25-30 brand new. i have both and they are good reels for the money.The reel in question, the 5500 is just as good, as i have an older 5500 ultracast which has been converted that i use for bass and flattie fishing. Another reel to consider is the Daiwa 7HT, or the older 6HM which i have and also use for this style of fishing. The 6000 series can also be used, although i prefer to use my Abu 6500CT on a beachcaster type rod. All depends what your budget is really mate, and if you are happy to use a levelwind or not.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Sorry! thats ebay mate, i have bought them before though and basically all they are are either factory reconditioned or American imports. You can try looking at Bass Pro, as they do sell to the UK. I actually got a slightly marked Abu One5000 without the box for £17.05 sent to my house, so they are a good bargain and you should have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Sorry! thats ebay mate, i have bought them before though and basically all they are are either factory reconditioned or American imports. You can try looking at Bass Pro, as they do sell to the UK. I actually got a slightly marked Abu One5000 without the box for £17.05 sent to my house, so they are a good bargain and you should have nothing to worry about.
I'll keep an eye on ebay then! Cheers :fish:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
For £20-30 they are a good buy. I would not suggest to use them as a main reel, but i have a few of these cheapies which i use from the shore or boat, loded with either 12lb Daiwa Tournament or 20lb berkley Fireline braid.
P.S. if not casting far and you are carefull the braid is awesome for flattie fishing as it gives excellent bite detection!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The conversion bars for them are only £10 or so, but personally i leave them on and just remove the plastic thumb bar off the top as distance is not a priority.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not really bothered about price. i am looking at the 7HT as i think Daiwa make the bext reels, they are a work of art!! i have the Slosh 20 and think its the best reel i have ever used!!

thanks for the info!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Go for the Daiwa 7Ht then for £69.99 mate if you like daiwas. Must say though that although mine runs smooth and is mechanically sound still it looks aesthetically a bit tatty after coming up 5 years. The Abu 6500 CT Sportsmag i got at the same time is in much better general condition, and i have probably used this more than the Daiwa. I would consider looking at the 6500 C3CT as they are only £69.99 at the moment aswell, and in my opinion probably the better reel.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but im abit 50/50 on the new ABUs, im abit scared off them...

i dont want to buy a half arsed reel.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
This is the older green 6500CTC3, a well proven reel that many like. i just find the Abu's are easier to maintain and prefer the feel of them personally. Have look at both if you can and see what you think bud.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
would a 5500 be ok for use with flatties and bream of the shore?? with a 2/4oz rod?

Jamie
flipping perfect....................... that is exactly what i use for light summer bottom fishing. i use it in the estuary for flounders and eels and for bass and bream on the shore.

i use a 5500 ct mag elite but it now has florida orange side plates.

is is exactly the same reel with all the strength if not more as a 6500. its just a little narrower. mine is loaded with 12lb line and i,ll happily put a heavier leader on it and use it on my bigger rods with heavier leads. as long as you cant cast all the line off the reel [and you wont while fishing] you could use it all year around instead of a 6500.

everone should have one. loads regretted abu stopping making the 5500 mag elite but there could be a new version in there new ranges.

get one today and you wont regret it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
flipping perfect....................... that is exactly what i use for light summer bottom fishing. i use it in the estuary for flounders and eels and for bass and bream on the shore.

i use a 5500 ct mag elite but it now has florida orange side plates.

is is exactly the same reel with all the strength if not more as a 6500. its just a little narrower. mine is loaded with 12lb line and i,ll happily put a heavier leader on it and use it on my bigger rods with heavier leads. as long as you cant cast all the line off the reel [and you wont while fishing] you could use it all year around instead of a 6500.

everone should have one. loads regretted abu stopping making the 5500 mag elite but there could be a new version in there new ranges.

get one today and you wont regret it.

In abus new range of mag eliete reels there is a 5500 size one.Take a look on the veals website.I have a normal 5500 size reel and am currently using it on my GRX-S in the esturay and its great got it for £30 of ebay.:clap2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts