World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off at ship and lobster on the thames yesterday evening. Got there around HT, planning on fishing all the way down to low. A man was already there with his kids and they had caught a few sizeable ting, so at least i knew there were fish around. Set up 4 rods, pulley pennell with whole squid, 1 up 1 down with rag and lug, running ledger on my spinning rod in close with squid strip and a 2 hook wire boom rig size 4s for a sole.
Water Sky Harbor Waterway Evening

I thought it was going to be hectic with 4 rods out, how wrong was i! Couldnt buy a bite, crabs stripping the worms quickly, lost a few rigs, no bites... If i didnt have so much bait i would of gone home. While deciding what to do and chatting to some 1 who had been fishing further up, my screw fell out of my headlamp, so the torch was just hanging in front of my face ! Could things get any worse? Yes, i lost the screw in the shingle :[email protected] luckily i had some sellotape in my box and temporarily repaired it. Enough was enough, decided to pack up and move closer to home and fish along the medway. Had 3 rods out just after 9, 2 hook boom rig size 1/0s, running ledger 5/0s whole squid, and chucked the sole rig with the size 4s and a bit of rag on the 3rd about 20 yards. After about 5 minutes i noticed some big knocks on the sole rig. I stared at it for a while watching it knock, thinking it doesnt look like a pout or ting bite ( thats all i was expecting ) . Remembering it only had size 4 hooks i thought i best reel her in! Felt weight immediately, aimed my headlamp at the water and see a lovely little codling flapping about on the surface! All im thinking now is, why didnt i bring my dropnet! Handlined her up the 15ft or so wall, and see the size 4 just nicked in the corner of her mouth. Around 45cm and weighing just a smidge under 2lb, this was only my 2nd ever sizeable codling- you can imagine the expression on my face lol Fish Fish Trout Magur Osmeriformes

Fish Fish Pike Bass Suzuki

Once gutted i could see it had been feeding on tiny crabs and shrimp.
after that i just had a couple of pouting, but i was made up. Just goes to show even when conditions arent right they can still show- there was no wind, small tide and the river was like a mill pond. Packed up around 11:15, happy with the evenings outcome.
Tight lines
Dave fitz

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can you say what town you were fishing in please. ie Gillingham, Chatham, Strood? :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
top marks, well i know you were not in your normal spot with a 15 ft wall i can only think of 2 places and they are opposite each other. i spoke to a few guys who were there in the afternoon they must of fed the whiting/pouting and CRABS for you

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went yesterday in Chatham had a good bite it nearly pulled my rod in, I quickly grabbed it and felt the fish pulling i wound it in about half way and got snagged up and lost my trace was gutted!! I would of love to have landed that fish!! If it was a fish that is there were 2 seals hanging about lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice one dave good to see they that far up. i was reliably informed by someone who see the fish that there was a 6lber on gillingham pier the other week
i got a couple of places im going to try at grain as soon as i get a bit of free time. the boats are picking up quite a few in the river now. whole squid will be my tactics cos u can always pick up a good bass this time of year at grain. i missed a good one on livebait whiting last year so did my mate walshy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lovely early cod dave well done. Think ill have to get out and about a bit more this winter. Try and get a few sessions sorted like to fish with people that enjoy fishing and don't give up after two hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was on the Medway City Estate Last night with the wife and Kids. We cought a few average sized whiting, but we saw a shawl of large fish close in on the edge of the weed. Im only a novice angler and just getting into the sport so not sure what they were but my guess is they were Codling. ?
Your thoughts ??

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I was on the Medway City Estate Last night with the wife and Kids. We cought a few average sized whiting, but we saw a shawl of large fish close in on the edge of the weed. Im only a novice angler and just getting into the sport so not sure what they were but my guess is they were Codling. ?
Your thoughts ??
more likely to be mullet mate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lovely early cod dave well done. Think ill have to get out and about a bit more this winter. Try and get a few sessions sorted like to fish with people that enjoy fishing and don't give up after two hours.
Cheers tom. Yeah mate i cant stand ot when people are like that! We will have to arrange something soon.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers tom. Yeah mate i cant stand it when people are like that! We will have to arrange something soon.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your thoughts ??
As birty said mate, would have been mullet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts