World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told there are two sizes of handle bearing for non IAR ABUs. I think one is 8x13x4. Is the other 8x14x4?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
471 Posts
8x13x7 refers to the size of the plastic bush, not the bearing.
Well if the Driveshaft diameter is 8mm and the inner diameter of the right hand side plate is 13mm, 14mm will not fit. The answer to you question was further down the page in the link so the full answer is the bearing size is 8x13x4 (the two shims make up the 3mm of the plastic bush.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if the Driveshaft diameter is 8mm and the inner diameter of the right hand side plate is 13mm, 14mm will not fit. The answer to you question was further down the page in the link so the full answer is the bearing size is 8x13x4 (the two shims make up the 3mm of the plastic bush.
Yes, I know that bearing is 13mm O.D. However there are two bearing sizes depending on when the reel was made. The older one is 13mm O.D. and the newer one is (I think) 14mm O.D. What I was hoping to confirm was that it was 14mm O.D.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The next generation after the 6500C3 had the Instant Anti Reverse bearing fitted, that may be 14mm but will not be what you are after, speak to Blakdog on here he will be able to explain it better or are you trying to put a standard bearing into an IAR but then what would be the purpose of that? If not then we are back to 13mm, the last version of the 6500C3 I owned had the same size bearing as the one I retro fitted into a XLT mag that was a much older reel, other options is simple, they do not cost a lot so by both and see or get a digital micrometre and measure the old bearing if you have one or the right hand side plate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The next generation after the 6500C3 had the Instant Anti Reverse bearing fitted, that may be 14mm but will not be what you are after, speak to Blakdog on here he will be able to explain it better or are you trying to put a standard bearing into an IAR but then what would be the purpose of that? If not then we are back to 13mm, the last version of the 6500C3 I owned had the same size bearing as the one I retro fitted into a XLT mag that was a much older reel, other options is simple, they do not cost a lot so by both and see or get a digital micrometre and measure the old bearing if you have one or the right hand side plate.
O.K. right, if I.A.R. models have a 14mm O.D. bearing that's the size I need. The reel despite being a contemporary of the I.A.R. C3s is not an I.A.R. model. Its a 6000 model produced for the U.S. market which uses a I.A.R. era sideplate with a plastic bush in place of an I.A.R. bearing, however it is not the same bush used in older U.K. models.

·
Registered
471 Posts
OK I know where your coming from now and it makes sense if it is similar to the 6000B then you are probably looking to replace

ABU Part 22084 Crank Bearing [22084] - $0.96 at eReplacementParts.com

If so you can fit the IAR bearing http://jimsreelshop.co.uk/shop/arti...QqmnfVUK&shop_param=cid=100&aid=TGF1-IARbear&

but will also need ABU Part 22001 Ambassadeur 5500 / 6500 I.A.R bushing. ABU part number 22001 - Detailed item view - Jim's Reel Shop

I did my 6000B just make sure you drift the bearing in straight and the correct way round but not too difficult.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Measure it ??
Yes. My micrometer is imperial, and converting thou into tenths of a mm is tricky. I can wave a ruler at it but that's only really good for whole millimetres.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Yes. My micrometer is imperial, and converting thou into tenths of a mm is tricky. I can wave a ruler at it but that's only really good for whole millimetres.
£3 will get you a chinese micrometer. The later side plates have a 14mm ID on the boss .... but there will be a lip at the base so you will have to bear that in mind if you are trying to emulate the older C3 principle. The design of the bush will tell you what you can and cannot get to work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
£3 will get you a chinese micrometer. The later side plates have a 14mm ID on the boss .... but there will be a lip at the base so you will have to bear that in mind if you are trying to emulate the older C3 principle. The design of the bush will tell you what you can and cannot get to work.
The lip has been part of the problem as its difficult to measure the boss I.D. from the back. So while I had a reasonable idea about the I.D. from measuring it from the front, the presence of the lip inside made me doubtful. Measuring the O.D. of the plastic bush seemed risky as I'm not sure how worn it is. Knowing it was'nt beyond the bounds of possibility that the bearing size was something obscure I wanted to get an accurate measurement. I probably should have got some vernier callipers, but I thought someone else might have tried the same upgrade. Upgrading to C3 (non I.A.R) seemed such easy exercise, oh well. And to think I only got it because I liked the colour:laugh:

We shall see what occurs when the bearing arrives.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Upgrading to C3 (non I.A.R) seemed such easy exercise,
It is childs play .... like I said, you mimick the dimensions of the bush .... if the bush works a bearing and two washers that have the same dimensions will work. What you need to avoid is a situation where you tightened the outer of the bearing down onto the lip with the star drag .... that would stop things working and could screw your side plate.

The simple option is to take a dremmel stone to the lip then it is no longer an issue. To be honest you are getting way over-complicated on this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts