World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was staggered to read today that they’ve already got orders for a thousand of these - and at the moment they’re only selling them to boat builders to go on new boats - you can’t yet walk into your Mercury dealer to order one to replace your 60hp :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
2,400 HP on the back of a 9/10 metre boat. The cruising range won’t be far.

Impressive engineering!!

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Euromillions on for tomorrow 😉

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2,400 HP on the back of a 9/10 metre boat. The cruising range won’t be far.

Impressive engineering!!

The fuel efficiency is supposedly quite good at under 200gallons an hour! - it does 64 knots with a 700 gallon fuel tank so running flat out the range (not allowing for reserve) would be 220 miles - back off a bit more and of course the range would improve a bit. It think it falls into the category of, "if you have to ask you can't afford it!!" :eek::eek::eek::D:D

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
The fuel efficiency is supposedly quite good at under 200gallons an hour! - it does 64 knots with a 700 gallon fuel tank so running flat out the range (not allowing for reserve) would be 220 miles - back off a bit more and of course the range would improve a bit. It think it falls into the category of, "if you have to ask you can't afford it!!" :eek::eek::eek::D:D
@Lady Half Pint no rude comments aimed at me ok?! I know I like my outboards but this is too much...

That’s a hell of a fuel burn..... circa 800l per hour..... 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬 I e already been told I need a fuel tanker behind my boat and other cheeky comments but this is something else...

I wonder how much the service cost is too? 😬😬😬😬

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
My daughters old spearfishing sponsor will no doubt soon have one on his trailer boats he builds but for now he's using twin 300's or 350's. How sweet do these 300 merc's sound when they start.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Chicken feed for the drug runners who’ll power their ‘go fasts’ with these engines. Plenty of range to get across from Cuba to Florida.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@Lady Half Pint no rude comments aimed at me ok?! I know I like my outboards but this is too much...

That’s a hell of a fuel burn..... circa 800l per hour..... 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬 I e already been told I need a fuel tanker behind my boat and other cheeky comments but this is something else...

I've seen it's around $1000 per engine but I think it's every three years - for the simple annual servicing you don't even need to remove the cowling - taken the little service hatch on the V6 and V8's (which allow you to check and top up oil without removing the cowling) a step further. Avoiding removing the cowling on a large outboard (as you no doubt know very well :)) really adds to the convenience. I would think it's a two man job to remove the cowlings on these 600's.

My Merc dealer posted on Facebook for a 'volunteer' to be the first in the UK to buy one - I 'put my hand up' if he'd give me a good trade in but he said I'd need a bigger boat :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My daughters old spearfishing sponsor will no doubt soon have one on his trailer boats he builds but for now he's using twin 300's or 350's. How sweet do these 300 merc's sound when they start.
All the Mercury V6's and V8's sound fantastic, especially the 'R' and 'Pro XS' V8's which are louder at idle (the standard versions are whisper quiet) - they have a real American hot rod sound - gorgeous.
Mercury Pro XS V8 start

·
Global Moderator
1,405 Posts

🤣.
Rude comments though?! Doesnt sound like me Luke. Its all said as tongue in cheek solutions to your refuelling situation but never meant to be rude.... 😘
Beasts of power but when it goes wrong, and its bound to go wrong, it will be a trip to bankrupcy court. If you can find an engineer who can fix it first 😱😱😱

Reactions: Norm B

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I've seen it's around $1000 per engine but I think it's every three years - for the simple annual servicing you don't even need to remove the cowling - taken the little service hatch on the V6 and V8's (which allow you to check and top up oil without removing the cowling) a step further. Avoiding removing the cowling on a large outboard (as you no doubt know very well :)) really adds to the convenience. I would think it's a two man job to remove the cowlings on these 600's.

My Merc dealer posted on Facebook for a 'volunteer' to be the first in the UK to buy one - I 'put my hand up' if he'd give me a good trade in but he said I'd need a bigger boat :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All the Mercury V6's and V8's sound fantastic, especially the 'R' and 'Pro XS' V8's which are louder at idle (the standard versions are whisper quiet) - they have a real American hot rod sound - gorgeous.
Mercury Pro XS V8 start
Its interesting to remove a 300hp cowling single handed on the water.... I wouldn’t want to try one of those 🤣

as for @Lady Half Pint being rude, I wouldn’t expect anything less 🤪😉

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
as for @Lady Half Pint being rude, I wouldn’t expect anything less
Brazen is a word.

The fuel efficiency is supposedly quite good at under 200gallons an hour!
190 litre per engine per hour? How is that good? If you chugged a pint of beer continuously for an hour you'd consume a mere 90 litre. These brutes are Olympic quality chuggers. Up there with the likes of Peter Dowdeswell and other celestials!

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Just seen the Video, pretty impressive and it looks like my next fishing boat is sorted and I'm not greedy, just two on the back will do, no more 45 minute slog to the Nab

I bet most of those orders that Mercury have are from Drug Lords coz if you can't catch them you can't convict them :cool:

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
190 litre per engine per hour? How is that good?
That's why I said it with an exclamation mark - I guess all things are relative though (it seems pretty good with regards to gallons per hour to horsepower as big outboards go) - and of course that's flat out GPH not cruising GPH which is what matters for most people - and probably not a worry to anyone who can spend £400,000 or so on a set of outboards!

I remember reading what a Bugatti uses in terms of gallons per hour running flat out and although I can't remember what it was, I remember thinking that petrol outboards are not that bad after all - and as with 2400 hp boats, I doubt the average Buggatti owner worries too much about fuel bills.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Just seen the Video, pretty impressive and it looks like my next fishing boat is sorted and I'm not greedy, just two on the back will do, no more 45 minute slog to the Nab

I bet most of those orders that Mercury have are from Drug Lords coz if you can't catch them you can't convict them :cool:
:D You don't need to catch them, a heat seeking missile from a helo or a few burst of 7.62 will slow them down. :D

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Flat out the Bugatti Veyron empties its 100 litre fuel tank in a little over 15 mins. I saw that on Top Gear one night and made the mistake of telling the missus it made my 2 mpg combined look economical. Like most folks she didn’t have a clue how much fuel a boat doing 22kts uses.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Flat out the Bugatti Veyron empties its 100 litre fuel tank in a little over 15 mins. I saw that on Top Gear one night and made the mistake of telling the missus it made my 2 mpg combined look economical. Like most folks she didn’t have a clue how much fuel a boat doing 22kts uses.
My boat doesn't use any fuel doing 22knots, I just have to keep whipping the Mrs to row faster :p

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
That's why I said it with an exclamation mark - I guess all things are relative though (it seems pretty good with regards to gallons per hour to horsepower as big outboards go) - and of course that's flat out GPH not cruising GPH which is what matters for most people
Booooo! That's like buying the Veyron quoted above and then driving round town and onto the motorway maintaining that 30mph.
That monkey on your shoulder gonna be brutal to those bad boyz. It's like the accelerator on your car. It only takes 3 kilo's of pressure to push the pedal to the metal, but when you change down for the overtake you stomp down 20 plus. Ya! You'll be bangin on the throttles to make sure there's not another mm or so left to go!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts